NGD - Ibanez AEG 1812ii 12-string acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dismalhead, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Hey people,

Been listening to some old recordings with 12-strings thinking how cool the sound was. I haven't owned one since the '80s. Decided I'd find myself one on a super cheap budget that did the trick.

Six years ago I had bought an Ibanez steel-string acoustic that I found used at GC for $75; it was one of those all laminate kit guitars (minus the kit), but it felt and sounded better than the other guitars in the sub-$400 range that I was looking at. I really fell in love with it and played the heck out of it for about a year until I sold it step up to a better acoustic that I could plug in (now I've got a Seagull).

So in my quest for a low cost 12-string acoustic electric I came up with this. It's basically a 12-string A/E version of my original Ibanez AEG acoustic. Sounds and feels great both unplugged and plugged in. It's a $300 guitar new - I got this one B-stock for $200. Only thing I can see wrong with it is a small miscoloration in the fretboard about 1/2" long before the first fret, and the obligatory "S" etched into the back of the headstock. I already ordered a TUSQ nut and compensated saddle to replace the stock plastic ones.

[​IMG]

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a MIJ Epiphone 12 string that I bought in 1973. Great sound and solid woods. Had to sell it to pay for a water heater when first buying a home and had two infants. I could've cried. That was Australia's recession in 1989.

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, congratulations!

Dismalhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.