NGD.....I really hope this will be the last.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
OK, I'm embarrassed a little for this. Every time, I SWEAR this is the last, and then (like Michael Corleone) I get sucked back in.
I've mentioned here several times, that my newest musical direction involves much of my previous repertoire, but at lower volume and on a "plugged in" nylon string guitar. I started on an Angel Lopez solid-body nylon, which sounds OK, but it weighs as much as a Les Paul, and even with a new compensated saddle and fresh strings, the intonation leaves something to be desired.
Then, I bought a Yamaha SLG200N, which is their "skeletal"-looking silent nylon, which plays well (although I'm not crazy about the FLAT fingerboard) and sounds GREAT, but again, with a compensated saddle and new strings, still doesn't intonate as I would like.
Before I bought either of these, a few guys here urged me to go with a Godin Multiac Nylon, but they are so expensive. (to me) But every thing I hear and read says the Godin is almost flawless in all regards. I recently filed my taxes, and I'm getting a pretty good refund, so I did it before my better sense took hold. I ordered a Godin Multiac Nylon "Encore" model, (no synth capability) in Burnt Umber finish. It arrived today, and I played it for about ten minutes, and feel it's virtually perfect. The finish is beautiful, the neck feels good, (I measure 1.85" at nut, about 16" radius fretboard) and (best of all) chords intonate well up past the twelfth fret. YIKES! The action is a "tad" higher than I like (even on a classical) but I may just see if I get used to it. Playing through a Fishman Loudbox Mini, it sounds great. The ONLY thing it lacks that I like is an onboard tuner.....but I've got plenty of the little D'Addario Minis.
I've long heard great things about Godin guitars in general, (this is first I've ever played or owned) and I am VERY impressed. Here's some quick pics to prove it happened.
1650058509678.jpeg

1650058529129.jpeg

1650058547095.jpeg

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That's real nice. I've always thought the idea behind those guitars was terrific. They're very popular with many acoustic jazz guitarists. Hope it's all you want it to be.:)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
BTW.....I didn't mention two things. The weight is VERY reasonable, (I'm guessing 6-7 lbs) and as to the cost......I hope to sell the Angel Lopez AND the Yamaha, and recover a good chunk of what the Godin cost me. Wish me luck! ;)
....and, if you squint real hard (OK, almost close your eyes) it looks vaguely Telecaster-ish.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Very nice! Congrats! If you feel guilty about owning any of your guitars, I will be happy to store them for you. No charge!
Very kind of you to offer.....;)
No, again I've mentioned before, the only issue I have with owning so many guitars is that, at my age, I could drop dead at any time....and they're more "stuff" my grandson (as my sole heir) has to deal with. I've had to deal with liquidation of estates myself, and it can be a real burden. I don't want to be a great problem to him if I can help or mitigate it. ;)

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
OK, I'm embarrassed a little for this. Every time, I SWEAR this is the last, and then (like Michael Corleone) I get sucked back in.
I've mentioned here several times, that my newest musical direction involves much of my previous repertoire, but at lower volume and on a "plugged in" nylon string guitar. I started on an Angel Lopez solid-body nylon, which sounds OK, but it weighs as much as a Les Paul, and even with a new compensated saddle and fresh strings, the intonation leaves something to be desired.
Then, I bought a Yamaha SLG200N, which is their "skeletal"-looking silent nylon, which plays well (although I'm not crazy about the FLAT fingerboard) and sounds GREAT, but again, with a compensated saddle and new strings, still doesn't intonate as I would like.
Before I bought either of these, a few guys here urged me to go with a Godin Multiac Nylon, but they are so expensive. (to me) But every thing I hear and read says the Godin is almost flawless in all regards. I recently filed my taxes, and I'm getting a pretty good refund, so I did it before my better sense took hold. I ordered a Godin Multiac Nylon "Encore" model, (no synth capability) in Burnt Umber finish. It arrived today, and I played it for about ten minutes, and feel it's virtually perfect. The finish is beautiful, the neck feels good, (I measure 1.85" at nut, about 16" radius fretboard) and (best of all) chords intonate well up past the twelfth fret. YIKES! The action is a "tad" higher than I like (even on a classical) but I may just see if I get used to it. Playing through a Fishman Loudbox Mini, it sounds great. The ONLY thing it lacks that I like is an onboard tuner.....but I've got plenty of the little D'Addario Minis.
I've long heard great things about Godin guitars in general, (this is first I've ever played or owned) and I am VERY impressed. Here's some quick pics to prove it happened.
View attachment 974110
View attachment 974111
View attachment 974112
Godin’s are nice. I have a buddy with a similar steel string one. I would suggest that you possibly buy a backup for the electronics while they are in stock.

My buddy’s is older and the electronics went out on it, and can’t be found.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Godin’s are nice. I have a buddy with a similar steel string one. I would suggest that you possibly buy a backup for the electronics while they are in stock.

My buddy’s is older and the electronics went out on it, and can’t be found.
That's troubling to hear. Do you know what went bad on your friend's? Godin carries a standard limited lifetime warranty.....but electronics are covered for just a year.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Very kind of you to offer.....;)
No, again I've mentioned before, the only issue I have with owning so many guitars is that, at my age, I could drop dead at any time....and they're more "stuff" my grandson (as my sole heir) has to deal with. I've had to deal with liquidation of estates myself, and it can be a real burden. I don't want to be a great problem to him if I can help or mitigate it. ;)
Just tell him where all the guitars are, and where you keep the matches and gasoline... for the rest. Or for your funeral barge...

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
View attachment 974110
View attachment 974111
View attachment 974112
I'm 72 and thought I was through with buying guitars but I, too, have been giving thought to buying a good-quality nylon-stringed acoustic-electric. The Godin guitars are on my radar, especially one like you have. Nice!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm 72 and thought I was through with buying guitars but I, too, have been giving thought to buying a good-quality nylon-stringed acoustic-electric. The Godin guitars are on my radar, especially one like you have. Nice!
At least think about what I said.....I tried two other "electric" nylon string guitars, before I eventually went with the "best". I may play it enough to find flaws, but so far, it's incredible. Thanks! ;)

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Brilliant!!!
I love the colour.
I play mine (ACS Slim) more than any of the others, it totally changed how I play.

I've also got the Multiac Spectrum which is steel strung with a lipstick neck pickup.

I had the necks shimmed to lower the action just a small bit.

You won't regret buying it, they're great to play.