NGD: I now really belong on the TDPRI with my new Fender Telecaster

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday, my wife let me purchase a brand-new Fender HH Player Telecaster. It's Tidepool (blue) with a maple fretboard. It has coil-splitting by pulling up on the tone control.

I tried it out in and purchased it from a brick-and-mortar music store after months of researching several models of guitars. My wife's logic is, we are retired now, can afford it, and can't take our money with us.

I was looking at the Tele and a PRS SE-24. The Tele is about $US30 more. I had seen a really good demo of the PRS, and my wife even watched and really liked the way it sounded. So I tried one out. The difference, to me, was that the Tele was a little easier for my arthritic hands to play. The toggle switch was a little sturdier, although some might find it hard to move. But I preferred its feel to that of the PRS toggle, which was somewhat looser. Both guitars are HH with coil-splitting. At first, I thought the 24 frets would be a deal-breaker, but it wasn't. My first thought was that where the 24th fret is, is where the neck pickup should be located, for greater resonance, but that's only for open strings anyway. The PRS was a pretty, shiny blue color, and I like shiny guitars. But the Tele won out.

The store had its guitar inventory displayed on Reverb, so I knew what they had.

My other electric guitars are my Gretsch Electromatic G5120 (hollow body) and Squier Affinity Strat. This Tele is like a big boy guitar.

The PRS was advertised as coming with a gig bag, but the Tele is always advertised as "case extra." The music store threw in a gig bag anyway. Nice folks! (Edited typos in this paragraph)

I'm already enjoying this guitar!

IMG_7216.JPG

Last edited:

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday, my wife let me purchase a brand-new Fender HH Player Telecaster. It's Tidepool (blue) with a maple fretboard. It has coil-splitting by pulling up on the tone control.

I tried it out in and purchased it from a brick-and-mortar music store after months of researching several models of guitars. My wife's logic is, we are retired now, can afford it, and can't take our money with us.

I was looking at the Tele and a PRS SE-24. The Tele is about $US30 more. I had seen a really good demo of the PRS, and my wife even watched and really liked the way it sounded. So I tried one out. The difference, to me, was that the Tele was a little easier for my arthritic hands to play. The toggle switch was a little sturdier, although some might find it hard to move. But I preferred its feel to that of the PRS toggle, which was somewhat looser. Both guitars are HH with coil-splitting. At first, I thought the 24 frets would be a deal-breaker, but it wasn't. My first thought was that where the 24th fret is, is where the neck pickup should be located, for greater resonance, but that's only for open strings anyway. The PRS was a pretty, shiny blue color, and I like shiny guitars. But the Tele won out.

The store had its guitar inventory displayed on Reverb, so I knew what they had.

My other electric guitars are my Gretsch Electromatic G5120 (hollow body) and Squier Affinity Strat. This Tele is like a big boy guitar.

The PRS was advertised as coming with a gig back, but the Tele is always advertised as "case extra." The music store threw in a gig back anyway. Nice fplks!

I'm already enjoying this guitar!

View attachment 945377
Time to change your avatar. 🙂

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Time to change your avatar. 🙂
You're absolutely right. I did think about that. While "Squier" is self-explanatory, the Gretsch helps explain the "Chester" part (the "P" describes my rarely-played bass).

Thanks for the reminder, though.

I took the sticker off, removed the plastic covering the pickups, and took a picture of it. Now, my new Fender HH Player Tele is my avatar.

Last edited:

jamesepowell

Tele-Holic
Nice. Great move. I never thought about a blue guitar until I joined this site and started seeing photos of other people's guitars. Someday maybe.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Congrats! This is only the beginning. Telecasters sneak up on all of us sooner or later.

I went from hating them, to loving them above almost all others in 12 years. Sometimes I wonder if in another decade, it'll just be a couple of Teles and an acoustic. The other guitars are great, but they don't have that perfect simplicity, and clarity of tone that the Tele has in spades.