NGD- I got the Last One

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chief101, May 26, 2020.

1. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

upload_2020-5-25_23-13-34.jpeg
    Well, maybe not the last one, but I scoured the internet looking for an Worn Ebony Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute Double-cut and this one was the only one I could find. Nothing at Sam Ash, Zzounds, American Music Supply, Sweetwater, no mom & pop, Chicago Music Exchange ..... nowhere except one at Guitar Center in the greater SanFran area - @ $599. Thank you, Guitar Center. New strings and a set up later and it’s a sweet playing/sounding guitar. P90’s are da bomb.

Gonna put a Tonepros AVT2 bridge on it to maximize its intonation accuracy. Other than that, it’s one heck of a basic, stripped down, glorious, music-making tool just the way it is.

PS: Early Retirement gift to self. September 1, 2020 is the actual end of the road on this particular journey.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Dang! What a good deal!

I’ve been looking in gibson land lately

Cool guitar

Was it sold as brand new? It may be one of the last, what model year is it?

Deathray likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Very sweet. At a good price too. Congrats!

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A blue one popped up on my start page for $599 at GC yesterday, but when I clicked on it I got directed to a blank page. I assumed that meant it was sold out. And, I don't understand why Adblocker is still allowing some ads through and blocking others.

5. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Love those. Almost bought one a couple of weeks ago but found an unplayed 2011 Tele blacktop with ash body and rosewood fingerboard I couldn’t pass up.

But those DC Junior Specials are sweet playing, comfortable, and amazing sounding guitars. Congratulations

6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Tele-Meister

Pretty sweet !

HNGD !

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Congrats! I snapped one up the end of last month, (Jr DC Tribute), it was an impulse online purchase, @ $549.99 plus tax ($54.00) w/free shipping right to my front door!. I even got it in 3 days, even with the virus running wild. You're right about that bridge P-90, man it's a tone machine, and can bite hard when you dig in. With a little twiddling of the tone, and volume knobs, the different tones you can get are incredible!

I like it with the "lightning bridge" well enough, that I'm not changing that either. Get some lemon oil on that fretboard, that one looks just about as as dry as mine was when I got it! Before, and after lemon oil pics...congrats on a sweet purchase, and one helluva good value!
    Jr. tribute 2 (2).jpg 20200427_211019 (2).jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice score! Congratulations.

9. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats x 2!

I was fortunate enough to retire from the military and I will be eligible to retire again in 3 years. We'll see.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

These are great, I even paid full retail for the 1st run:

Attached Files:

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neato!

12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice, congratulations!

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Congrats, these are great guitars.

I swapped in a bunch of bridges but ultimately the stock bar was the best for intonation. Not about to get all ‘extra’ with fancy movable saddles :p

Already have a Lollar 50s in the neck position. Didn’t need that at all, just found one in horse trading and wanted to hear it. A tort guard also coming soon for mine :)

14. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I grabbed a Junior on GC sale
    After proper set up its a blast

15. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

Yes, Brand New. All of the case candy was present/unopened and the guitar had no signs of use/wear. I’m sure it was new.

I am under the impression that it’s a 2020 model, but the serial number and checklist date are both mid-2019. They don’t stamp the “year” on the headstock anymore so I’m not sure “year model” is relevant anymore. It was made in mid 2019. I think the Specials dropped at Summer NAMM 2019 so ....

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Use this bridge and be more happy>>>https://reverb.com/item/6224199-moj...e-les-paul-junior-special-or-historic-ri-aged

17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Yeah, my JR. Tribute was "brand new" also, with baby picture, and everything. The serial # dates it to July, 03, 2019 so it had been unsold for quite awhile, which makes me think it had been in storage for quite awhile, which would probably explain the dry fretboard!

18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Congrats! That's a guitar I jones for now and again. Play the heck out of it!

19. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

I have a newer cherry single pickup that i got 2 months ago. Took a Black Marks-a-lot to the white line on the pickguard. Love the minimal look.

1st Models had only single pickup and jack on pickguard.Headstock says Les Paul Junior
    2nd models were all routed for neck pickup,had a Jack on body side. 2 pickup model became available. Headstock says Les Paul Model.Tuner knobs may be more off white then 1st gen which seem whiter.

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice. I like the Les Pauls with P90s. That would be my choice if I were looking for an LP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.