1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: I Did My Best to Resist (Godin Content?)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by The_Doctor [EV], Jan 6, 2019.

1. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

If I just hadn't gone into the acoustic room in Guitar Center, I'd be fine. Stupid me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So yeah, this is an Art & Lutherie of unknown age. I briefly had one of their 12 strings, liked it a lot, couldn't afford it at the time, brought it back. Happened to find this in there used, clearly pretty well loved, plenty of wear on the top. Action is acceptable, but man was this thing LOUD. Loud, clear, articulate without being at all boxy sounding. Then I notice, oh, it's got a preamp, and it sounds adequate. Like, not AMAZING, but adequate, clearly had that piezo overtones to it.

And then I saw it was $150.

So I own a flattop acoustic. Finally. After only having an old Harmony Broadway archtop for the last 10 years or so. What a world to be in.

So this thing is basically a Godin, right? Identical to some Seagull acoustics if I understand it right? It was absolutely better sounding than anything else in that sub-$200 price range, even sub-$300 when you count in the preamp. How much did these things run for new?

2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on a great find.

Art & Lutherie Guitars are a subsidiary of Godin guitars (the parent company), as are Seagull Guitars, Simon & Patrick Guitars, Norman Guitars, and La Patrie Guitars. So while not identical to Seagull, it is still Godin quality.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I beleive the A&L of that era is all laminate Wild Cherry, (they have drastically reworked the A&L line and the present guitars are very different than the originals) 'Gulls have either Cedar or Spruce tops IIRC, and the straight pull peg head, S&P are similar w/ a traditional peg head and often offer the option of more advanced finishes & "bling'. A&L was at the time the entry level line, but as mentioned still built to the same standards. I bought one for around $200 new 10+ years ago, When I found a S&P in a local shop for $100 I straight traded it..

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

On the bright side, you walked out with a guitar. ;-)

5. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

I'd definitely agree that the back and sides are that laminate cherry (and I must admit I'm not enough of a connoisseur of acoustics to easily tell the difference between solid and laminate backs and sides) but the top is almost certainly cedar or a similarly soft wood, yes? The top looks nothing like the sides, and there's some significant wear patterns, including what looks like pick wear right around the soundhole area. Whoever previously owned this guitar they had a pretty strong and aggressive right hand.

[​IMG]

Just had assumed cedar because it was darker than I'd imagine spruce to be.

Whatever the wood, the qualities combine in a pleasing way, and I'm glad I managed to essentially get a beater price acoustic that also sounds quite nice.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a godin nylon string synth guitar , I love it it was one of the first lefthanded units they made , this one is made in montreal , Ilove it!

nice findBTW and you cant argue the price, kudos

muudcat likes this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Well, it's not "basically a Godin" any more than an Epi is "basically a Gibson." There's a reason why they keep the brand names separate. Or, rather, innumerable reasons, including choice of materials, design, assembly, and, well, you name it. There's increasing value for money at the inexpensive guitar level, but there are also very real differences with the more expensive lines. That doesn't have to be a problem at all, depending on what you are looking for.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Having worked for many years at a Godin dealer that also carried A&L and Seagull, that is definitely laminated cherry back and sides with a cedar top, same as the most basic Seagull S6. AFAIK they don't put the Godin name on any acoustics other than the thinline Multiac models. All other acoustics are either A&L, Seagull, S&P, or Norman, which I've never seen anywhere in the US. I think Norman branded guitars aren't distributed south of the border.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. CK Dexter Haven

There are no Godin acoustics (at least not any longer) because the umbrella company is actually "La Si Do" and Godin is the electric division, some how that has gotten flipped a bit.
    At one time Sam Ash carried Normans that appeared to be very similar to the OP's guitar, but in more traditional tan or brown finishes in place of the bright colors that many early A&L's sported; but that's been 15+ years ago and i haven't seen any since. There are also other acoustics that pop up from time to time, including some interesting classicals (La Patrie brand I believe)that have truss rods and internal bolt on necks. I had a steel string come in to the shop that was laminate with a thin veneer of very flamey Canadian maple..can't remember the name they used but when I contacted them i receive a interesting reply " Yes that is one of ours, a experiment from the early years we decided not to pursue," It sounded Ok but not as nice as the later guitars.

As they are made in the same plants but the same folks a better analogy might be Gibson and Kalamazoo, there are differences, but they are not a outsourced, contractual, off shore product, and share many design and material parameters.

Dukex likes this.
  10. CK Dexter Haven

double post..Sloooooooooow board >.<

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

muudcat likes this.
  12. CK Dexter Haven

Probably because people kept demanding Godin acoustic in the shops!
    "I know they make them, where are you hiding them.. out with it..!

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You're right about La Patrie, which is their nylon string line, and are very nice guitars at competitive prices. We sold a lot of them, and the name is derived from the name of the town in Quebec where their factory is.

14. CK Dexter Haven

Oddly enough I saw a second hand Norman in a local shop today..

15. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for bringing up LaSiDo. That is indeed Robert Godin's private corporation (I forgot). And I think you are correct that Godin, Seagull, A&L, S&P, La Patrie, etc. are all divisions of the same legal entity, his LaSido corporation, not subsidiaries as I stated (which would require separate incorporation for each).

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Here is a good overview of Robert's history from meeting Norman Boucher to becoming the largest acoustic guitar producer in North America:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/lasido-inc-history/

Dukex likes this.
  17. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I just took a look at the label. It actually identifies the woods and the percent of each used. Pretty cool. Wild cherry B&S, Maple neck (guessing), Walnut bridge & fretboard (guessing), Cedar top, Spruce bracing.

18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

nice looking old girl. i have an A&L that i picked up on the cheap a long time ago. its a nice sounding guitar. i like the neck width and string spacing. its a bit wider than a lot of acoustics so its nice for finger picking and what not.

19. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

$150. You couldn't not. Godin rocks.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS - Life wouldn't be worth living without a flattop. I'm a dread man, myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.