NGD - Hwy 1 Texas #3, Glendale, Bare Knuckle, Gotoh, Royal Mustard, Sozo

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by coolidge, Sep 15, 2019.

1. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Thought I was done after acquiring a pair of the Hwy 1 Texas in two tone burst then this transparent blond popped up for sale near me at a good price. This has some nice Swamp Ash grain but its nearly impossible to photograph. Digital camera makes it look opaque.

After cleaning, polishing, and the following upgrades:

- Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar pickups
    - Glendale single cut stainless bridge plate
    - Gotoh brass compensated saddles and vintage locking tuners
    - Fender black Bakelite 5 hole pickguard
    - CTS pots
    - Sozo, Synergy Royal Mustard caps and PRP resistor
    - Mogami shielded wire (super flex 1/8 OD good stuff in tight spots)
    - Fender steel 'F' neck plate

[​IMG]

Factory had cloth covered wire from the jack to the pot, I replaced with shielded wire.

[​IMG]

I was VERY impressed with the build quality on the Bare Knuckle pickups. This in comparison to (SD, Barden, Dimarzio) Thick copper plated steel (thanks telemnemonics) plate under the bridge pup and grounded so this grounded the bridge plate also via the pickup screws. Wire is fairly heavy gauge cloth covered.

[​IMG]

Here's the steel neck plate. I say steel because there's a boatload of junk/fake pot metal neck plates out there. They are so lame you can snap them in half with your bare hands.

[​IMG]

Note the staggered pole height on the bridge pup, I'll have to experiment with pup height.

[​IMG]

With the bridge plate and bridge pickup shielded and the shielded cover over the neck pickup I pondered how to shield the channel. This gave me 360 degree shielding. Its 1/4 inch OD brass tube .014 wall thickness from a local hardware store. The square feet are from some .010 inch thick brass sheet. Just drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center. Soldered a ground wire to the tube and tucked it inside and ran it over to the ground lug on the volume pot.

[​IMG]

Normally I wouldn't waste my guitar amp caps on a guitar but someone had installed an Emerson kit. One of the pots looked cooked and a big hunk of solder fell out of the cavity. So I installed new CTS pots and components. Sozo and Synergy Royal Mustard caps, PRP resistor. You see here that I replaced the cloth covered wire from the guitar cable jack and ran shielded cable. That is Mogami not that I care about the name. Its 1/8 inch OD which is quite small for shielded wire in that gauge and very flexible. I purchased a whole spool of that stuff for amp building. Way better than that stiff PVC insulated junk wire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow....awesome!

coolidge likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice looking guitar and mods, your OCD is showing though!

The plate under the bridge pickup would be steel, not brass, and they are always grounded.
    We generally still run a ground wire to the bridge despite the screws touching both pickup base and bridge plate, because those contacts can be iffy due to potting wax and sweat etc.
    Given your attention to detail regarding hum and noise it’s worth having a ground wire.
    You could have gone all the way and replaced the vintage pickup wires with shielded wire, I have that on a few pickups and whil Gibson did it since the 50s it’s funny that Fender hardly ever did.
    There were some mid 70s Tele bridge pickups with shielded wire.

coolidge likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Obviously there’s a lot of work in it, but that’s the nicest HW1 I’ve ever seen. Great work.

coolidge likes this.
  5. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Correct, copper plated steel. In fact I attempted just that, replacing the lame PVC wire on a $300 set of Barden pickups and disaster struck. I ruined the neck pickup beyond repair. $300 ouch!

6. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Thanks, it took three evenings to complete. One time saver, Meguiars Water Spot Remover & Multi Surface Polish. The Texas model is finished in a thin acrylic lacquer, buffed to a sheen not gloss. Seems to scuff and scratch easily and this Mequiars product erases them with ease producing a semi-gloss finish. Somewhere between the 'satin' factory finish and a high gloss finish. It really has been amazing this blond had a few significant scuffs and some grime areas, they vanished with very moderate polishing with a damp cloth covered wax applicator sponge.

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

What he said, and I even love Highway One guitar’s as is.
    Beautiful.

coolidge likes this.
  8. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

I edited my post and credited you for the correction thanks again!

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Classy!

10. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I am purdy sure that's my guitar, plz send it to me.

coolidge likes this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

What a honey that is! The only thing it needs is an Electrosocket jack. Love the appointments/upgrades! Great color too. You, sir, are a lucky man!

coolidge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.