NGD: Hounder #2

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Nov 27, 2018.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As posted here, I bought a Bootlegger Hounder at the end of September, and I just dig the crap out of it. Last week I was sitting around looking at my guitars, and I decided to move a DeArmond jazz box. To my surprise, it sold in a day, so I banked the dough I got in the sale and used part of it to buy a second Hounder - this one in Cherry.

[​IMG]

I've been A-B-ing the two of them for an hour or so, and I'm pretty amazed at how consistent these two guitars are. Tone, playability and even the weight are nearly identical. The only thing I'm going to change is the control knobs - they're a little close together, and I replaced the knobs on the Burst one with knurled Tele knobs. I've got a set on order and will replace them when they come in. Here's the body close up.

[​IMG]

And here are the two of them together.

[​IMG]

- D

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Those are beauties. Enjoy!

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Cool guitars. How is that Roomba thing working out for you?

4. StrangerNY

Works pretty well. The cats hate it.

- D

PigBoy likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

BEAUTIFUL.....I'd hate to have to choose between the 'burst and the cherry. One small, tiny niggle.....I don't care for the pickguard and I prefer one volume/one tone. Do they offer options? They're still stunning!

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. StrangerNY

I know, man. I took them both to rehearsal last night to get an A-B comparison, and I couldn't decide which one to play. They both got some run.

The pickguard is kinda weird - I tend to think of it more as a control housing. :) And those Strat knobs gotta go, I was kinda stumbling with them last night.

The controls on the Hounder are what they are - but they make a semi-hollow called the Single Barrel, which is more of a straight Tele control setup - but with a P90 in the neck position.

[​IMG]

I'm becoming buds with the owner of the company at this point. I'm considering trying the Single Barrel, or maybe one of their amps.

(Note to TDPRI staff - I'm not involved with them other than buying their stuff. But I am a fan.)

- D

zippofan and nojazzhere like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stylin’!

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. StrangerNY

And profilin'! :cool:

- D

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

Thanks to StrangerNY, I just placed an order for my own Hounder. It will be in what they call a "Violin Vintage Burst" finish. I'll play it a bit, to see how I like it. If a keeper, I'll probably modify it to just one master volume and one master tone....that's just my thing. Might even look into making a different pickguard. I know....I just can't leave well enough alone. ;)

10. StrangerNY

Dude! You will love it. (At least I hope so - my rep is on the line now :lol: ).

I'll be interested in seeing what mods you perform to it. Let me know when you get it!

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

Like I said, I can't leave things alone.....my #1, a Telecaster, is on its second neck, three or four bridges, no telling how many pickup sets, (including a period with a middle pickup), etc....in fact, the only original parts now are the body, control plate, and strap buttons. My PRS SE One has relocated volume control, added tone control, and added neck pickup. So I guess the Hounder will be just another victim for my "butchery". And yeah.....if I don't like it, you'll be the person I blame....;)
    ADDED TWO MINUTES LATER.....as I was typing the above, I got a notice that my order was cancelled and refunded. Apparently, although my order was initially accepted, the guitar was out of stock. I'm disappointed, to say the least. I guess I'll just have to watch for it again.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    StrangerNY likes this.
  12. StrangerNY

Ah, crap. I hate to break it to you, but they may be gone. They've introduced the Hounder II - different body design (kinda Firebird-ish), higher price.

Hope you can get one!

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

It may be the Fates....just telling me I've got my ideal guitar (my Tele) and a VERY close second (my PRS) and I really don't need another. I've experienced many disappointments and losses over the years, and WITHOUT EXCEPTION it has always proven to be a blessing in disguise. Good luck with yours.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey, StrangerNY. Is your guitar a solid body or semi-hollow with no F holes? It looks like i could be either.

StrangerNY likes this.
  15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very very nice @StrangerNY congrats!
    I am thinking of getting one, but I have to wait since I have just bought another tele..

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

Nice! Love the color!

17. StrangerNY

Solid body, and heavy! Each of them is right around 10 pounds.

Nice balance, though. The weight only bothers me when I have to pick them up. :)

- D

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Good find! I have never heard of these guys, and the prices are sweet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.