NGD/Help! Nashville Tele with Twisted Tele pickups - Thoughts on middle (strat) pickup?

smithfactory

TDPRI Member
Hey all, I have looked around to see if I could finds an answer to this, but have had no luck, so your help would be appreciated!

I recently locked down a 1999 American Deluxe Nashville Telecaster in trans teal - really excited about it, but not crazy about the noiseless pickups that come stock.

I've always wanted to grab a set of the Twisted Tele pickups, but didn't want to mess with my American original Tele, so this is my chance! Additionally, I understand that the TT pickups are NOT RWRP, which means that if I throw in a RWRP strat pickup, it should work nicely.

I've played around a lot with humbuckers so have a pretty good idea how the outputs of each pickup would correlate, but I have pretty limited experience with playing around with single coils, so I'm not sure exactly how it would work out. I know the neck is 5.9k and the bridge is 10.4k, so I'm assuming I should have something somewhere in the middle? I've got a Vineham Texas Red (basically a clone of the Fender Texas Special), which has an output of 6.5k - any thoughts on this?

Any help would be great, thanks!

I'll add in the obligatory NGD photo - this is from the seller and I'm picking it up this weekend:

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 4.26.30 PM.png

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Nice looking guitar. What’s that switch between the knobs?

Your Texas Red ought to balance with the TT set, no idea at all if it would be RWRP. But you can sort that out once you have the guitar in hand. Speak up if you need help checking that.

smithfactory

TDPRI Member
Nice looking guitar. What’s that switch between the knobs?

Your Texas Red ought to balance with the TT set, no idea at all if it would be RWRP. But you can sort that out once you have the guitar in hand. Speak up if you need help checking that.
Thanks - I think it adds the neck pickup into any configuration l, similar to a blender knob on a strat.

Thank you for the offer! The Texas Red I’ve got in-hand is a RWRP middle, so it should work well with the (as I understand it) non-RWRP TT set. If I run into any issues, I’ll definitely reach out!

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Did the '99 come stock with the noiseless pickups? If it did, you might have 1meg pots.

My 2016 came stock with the noiseless and 1meg pots.

I had [email protected] Pickups make me a set of true single coils and a new harness w/250k pots.

Also, a no-load Bornes push/pull to engage the neck/bridge combo.

Won't hurt to try the Texas Red since you already have it. Good luck.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
The pots are 250kOhm according to the service manual.
The tone pot is no load.

Service Manual (pdf)

Attachments

• Tele_American_Deluxe_'Nashville'_Sep_2000.pdf
    258.6 KB · Views: 15

smithfactory

TDPRI Member
The pots are 250kOhm according to the service manual.
The tone pot is no load.

Service Manual (pdf)
Oh my god this is amazing!! Where did you find this? As an aside, would love to get one of these for my 2006 Am Deluxe Strat as well.

Just incredibly helpful - thank you!

tegel

TDPRI Member
I have a ‘98 in red. I didn’t care for the noiseless either. I tried a few others and settled on Lollars. Neck: Royal T, Middle: 64, Bridge Special T.

At first I tried swapping out just the neck, but it didn’t play well with the others (output was too low). I contacted Lollar, and they recommended this combo.

smithfactory

TDPRI Member
I have a ‘98 in red. I didn’t care for the noiseless either. I tried a few others and settled on Lollars. Neck: Royal T, Middle: 64, Bridge Special T.

At first I tried swapping out just the neck, but it didn’t play well with the others (output was too low). I contacted Lollar, and they recommended this combo.
Looking into it this weekend, I THINK my plan is to go Fender Twisted Tele neck, Fender Texas Special mid and SD La Brea bridge. I just need to get some info on winding and polarity - I believe both the Fender and SD sets are RWRP, but they use opposite “standard” polarity, so it might actually work for me.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
Service manual for the 2004-2010 American Deluxe SSS Strat

Attachments

• Strat_American_Deluxe_2004_Upg.pdf
    920 KB · Views: 15