NGD Harmony H1260 Sovereign 1969

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by wood&steel, Jan 19, 2012.

1. wood&steel

wood&steel TDPRI Member

Well I finally got home from work and got to play it. Wow! This thing is awesome. I can't believe they are so cheap. Had a songwriting session last night with a friend who has a rosewood j45 and I couldn't even hear his guitar when I was playing. Def a unique sound. Very nice. Do yourself a favor and get ahold of one of these is good shape. I love it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Attached Files:

2. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Nice score..... The Soverigns are the top of the line for Harmony. They are solid wood (no laminate) and everyone I have played sounded really good. I had a birth year Soverign (1961) for awhile and really liked it, but I got an offer to trade it for my Vintage 1960 Magnatone Custom 413 amp and didn't even think twice about it. I do miss the Soverign as it was my beater guitar, but at the prices you can find them, I assume I will find another some day.

Now go play some Arlo Guthrie! :D

3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've always wanted a Sov. A pretty common mod on these is to have the ladder bracing replaced with X bracing- it's a cheap way to get pretty close to a vintage Martin.

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1 from Ballard

Nice score - mine is the OM version and not *nearly* as clean as yours. Partial re-fret, 2x reset neck, changed bridge and a fair amount of wear on the soundboard, but it sounds nice.

Do me a favor and NEVER set it up like that in the kitchen again.
    Please.
    I set mine up against a kitchen cab (for just a second - refilling coffee cup) and returned to see it sliding, landing face-down and neatly snapping at the headstock,
    Ow.
    Nobody to blame but me and my love for coffee.

Lemuel did a nearly invisible fix, thanks to a repair referral from JoeV@archtop.com and it's been back in service about five years now w/o trouble.

Enjoy a few John Sebastian songs on it.
    I've opened coffee house gigs w/ Rainbows All Over Your Blues with this.

Peace - Deeve

Attached Files:

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Cool, I have one like that and another Soverign that is all mahogany.

Great guitars!

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Nice Score.

I played my first Sovereign in the mid-1960s and still own an early block letter 1260.

These things were put together with better lumber than alot of guitars costing a whole lot more. About the only ladder braced dread I have played that I liked better than the Sovereigns was a Vega Profundo which will put a heck of a bigger dent in you wallet than the Harmony.

Only real problem is that the "re-discovery" of the Sovereign over the past couple of years is pushing the prices up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.