NGD! - Harley Benton DC Junior TV Yellow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by OttoCorrect, Aug 16, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Yessir it does. That bridge pickup does everything you’d want a good p90 to do. Never heard of Roswell pickups before this guitar but if this is any indication they know what they’re doing!

blowtorch likes this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Roswell, I heared they keep things secret in Area51 :D

Jerry_Mountains and blowtorch like this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Very sweet! Very surprised at the quality electronics you have there. IT IS VERY CLEAN ALSO, ROCK IT!

OttoCorrect likes this.
  4. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

Looking very good! Now Im jonesing for a DC Jr thank you :mad:..... :D

The color is kinda butterscotchy I like that, and the fretboard is nice and dark as well!

Congrats!

OttoCorrect likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my 1st decent guitar was an Aria pe-150, which is a real close copy of a Dc Lp special. I've been trying to find one forever, but no luck. this would satisfy that.

I need two p-90s and 4 knobs.

6. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Hamer's XT version is excellent (I added the Bigsby type trem). Plenty of them about on ebay.

20190518_111635.jpg

7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Spent some time today with the amp LOUD and the new guitar does indeed scream with the best of mine. I also took some more time to fine tune the set up. What I did notice, and it’s a bit of a surprise, is that this guitar has a bit of twang to it. My other p90 guitars were big old Les Paul copies. Not much twang there. I’m guessing maybe the wraparound bridge is a contributing factor? Any ideas?

Still loving the guitar, btw. Fine tuning the set up has only confirmed what a fine axe this is. Still can’t believe I paid more for my Nintendo Switch than a guitar that plays and sounds this good.

Jerry_Mountains and Alamo like this.
  8. Alamo

A new video showed up.
    can't wait...

richey88 and Jim603 like this.
  9. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I need nothing less than another guitar. But..... I am lusting after the singlecut version of that sweet little thing.....

Alamo likes this.
  10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Quick update, since buying this guitar I’ve found that this guitar can be mighty bright when I really crank the amp. So... I put 250K pots in it (both were 500k before), and in the process changed the wiring to the typical 50’s Gibson style. For personal preference I also swapped the pickup for a alnico 2 p90 from byoguitar. Overall it’s sounding great, but frankly these were all unnecessary changes. The guitar is fine stock but I can’t help but make it my own via mods.

After all this, the guitar is still very snappy, for lack of a better word. I’ve never owned a guitar that had such snappy response and tone. Perhaps this is a LP junior characteristic? I dunno. I’m not quite sounding like Johnny Thunders yet, but I can hardly blame that on the guitar. Still a great buy. Superb quality for the money.

Obsessed and Alamo like this.
  11. Alamo

Still waiting but time seems to move even slower than usual.
    I posted this August 18th, so 5 weeks ago:

now the wait. 6-7 weeks. ouch!
    today it states: In stock within 4-5 weeks

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not normally a Bigsby fan, but that looks so right on your guitar. I imagine its weight helps it balance better on a strap?

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My 2019 Lpj Tribute is ‘snappy’. Trying very hard not to order one of these.....

14. Alamo

Finally my DC Junior arrived. yeay! :)
    first impression, it's light, sounds great, it absolutely rocks and floats my boat. :cool:

15. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Couple of questions
    How is the neck?- thickness/frets
    How is the hardware? Specifically the tuners and the bridge?

16. Alamo

The neck is tapered (a little) towards the 12th fret, feels great and substantial.
    it's different to two of my Squier Classic Vibes. <--they seem to be a tad more deep in radius than this one.
    I like it a lot more than my original 1977 Gibson Les Paul DC Special^^ which has a neck flat as a flounder <° ))))><
    The frets are more substantial compared to the CV's. beefier, medium jumbo perhaps? I dunno.
    the fret ends are absolutely nicely finished. nothing sharp or needing to go at immediately. I thought I'd have to roll the fretboard edges before I got it, but nope, this feels fine - I'm impressed.
    The tuners work fine, allthough I don't like the look and feel of those blinking white plastic knobs. maybe I'll take some sandpaper and a candle at 'em. :twisted:
    same with the volume & tone knobs ...and the plastic p-90 cover. plastic things make it feel and look cheap. but thats easy to change, innit?
    while I dislike non-slotted tuners for obvious blood shedding reasons, this guitar came with perfectly wound, no spike sticking out, colour-coded 09 D'addarios. how the heck did they do that? :confused:

The bridge, I'll have to think and tinker about a bit more.
    I am going to play this guitar as a 5-string open G.
    there's lots of +- game in the intonation range. I'll probably shorten the screws that let you set the distance of the bridge to the studs. don't want anything digging at my hand more than it should.

none the less this guitar is light as a feather and spanks the the plank even without an amp. reminded me a lot of my CV50's white when I got it new in 2008.
    I'm happy.
    well done, you Indonesian Harley Bentons! :)

Obsessed likes this.
  17. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Nice review.
    Now to decide between the sc or dc

Alamo likes this.
  18. Alamo

Thanks.

You're welcome
    Sc - Dc ...now, who's your hero? ;)
    I'm with Johnny Thunders and Keith Richards
    no matter, It's gonna be a rock'n'roll machine. hats off to Harley Benton

Obsessed likes this.
  19. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Congrats! I’m still quite happy with mine. Can’t believe how inexpensive this guitar is. Lots of guitar for the money.

Obsessed and Alamo like this.
  20. Alamo

Excuse the terrible phone pic.
    note the sticker of our local girls punk band " bloody marys" and the small vintage vaux gator guitar strap - as this guitar is so light. fits IMO DSC_0904.JPG .

zippofan and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.