NGD: Harley Benton DC Jr.

JRicoC

Tele-Meister
Shim the pickup like I did on mine, then reevaluate the tone pot.

I checked online, and it appears that the Roswell dogear is an non-standard size, so finding a pre-made shim will be tough. I don't have the tools to produce a shim that would not look like someone who did not have the tools to produce a shim produced said shim, so I'll see how long it take for this to drive me crazy.

You could probably make the statement that I am already crazy, if I'm pre-emptively worried about the appearance of a pickup shim ...

beagle

Poster Extraordinaire
The back of the pot is un-marked. I would probably have to remove the pot to see if there are markings in the top (knob side), and I'm not inclined to do that ...

The pots on mine are 500K Alphas, the capacitor is... brown. :D

Roswell P90D.png

2.png

Template

shim.jpg

Shim

DavidP

Friend of Leo's
This and the other DC Juniors sure look enticing if they play as well as they look! I rarely buy a guitar w/o playing it first but this could be an exception.
However, it looks like the only shipping option to Canada is UPS -- I would likely spend as much on their absurd brokerage charges as the purchase price...
It's too bad they don't have a NA distributor for the brand.

Last edited:

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
The back of the pot is un-marked. I would probably have to remove the pot to see if there are markings in the top (knob side), and I'm not inclined to do that ...
I'm kinda a rebel, rarely do anything this conventional way, basically because of my long friendship with Bill Lawrence, a VERY unconventional man.
My desire for a long time was something Gibson nor anyone ever made, a early Melody Maker with P90s. I have no clue why all the ones were converted to humbucker, it's never gonna be a Les Paul but so many things including my beloved L6 were done this way. So late last year I started one. A friend hand wound the P90's to my specs and my Bill experience had me use 330k pots. I had a Junior routing template so used that. My usual these days is the jazz bass example, a master tone, two volumes and no switches. Well I just routed a two pot cavity and a three would look terrible. So in a moment of inspiration (some said Insanity) I put two volume pots and no tone. I pulled my stash of capacitors and experimented. Found a tone I REALLY liked........ and soldered it across the jack ;). Not sure if any of that helps but it is an example, there's more than one way to skin a hare as my friend used to say. I'll go back into my hole now :D

Dave

Chrisholmes90

TDPRI Member
I've wanted a double cut LP pretty much since I started playing guitar around 19 years ago.

Finally, I might be able to get one - and I love the idea of the P90.

I know everyone is saying that the stock pickup is fine, but I would also consider replacing - even if just for snobbery. Considering the dimensions are non-standard, is this going to be difficult? Would it possibly just require re-drilling the mounting holes? Or are the hole spacings the same?

Also, any reviews on the compensated Wilkinson bridges? I think the stock one looks pretty gross so would love to change, but also value my intonation...

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
A shim is simple to make. Since it isn't really structural, it doesn't need to be made from plastic or metal. It is just a shim. I cut one from a sheet of craft foam.

Take the dogear cover off.
Place it on a sheet of black craft foam and trace it.
Cut it out with an razor blade/xacto/scissors.
Slide it around and under the pickup.
Put the cover back on and reinstall the screws.

10 minute job. You don't even have to remove the strings or wiring.

JRicoC

Tele-Meister
A shim is simple to make. Since it isn't really structural, it doesn't need to be made from plastic or metal. It is just a shim. I cut one from a sheet of craft foam ...

But herein lies my problem ... I don't know what "Craft Foam" is, and even Googling "craft foam" brings up a host of varied materials, in wildly varying sizes and media. At this point it would just become a Trial and Error and Error and Error crapshoot, which could be fun, and interesting, or could just be tedious and repetitive. I'll have to see down which path I go ...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Got this shipped from Germany to the U.S. in about a week. It's a Harley Benton DC-Junior LTD, in Pelham Blue.

First off, the blue is a little too shadowy, if not dark. I don't have tons of in-person experiences with true Pelham guitars, but most that I've seen had more greenish leanings than this model.

I have not played it plugged in much yet, but the pickup sounds good and raspy. The tone control is pretty limited, if I decide to hang onto this and play it, I'll likely replace the tone capacitor. I'm not a fan of white tuner buttons, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth to replace them, as they are actual Wilkinsons.

The body and neck are excellent. The fit and finish are on par with options in the $799 - $999 range. The Amaranth fretboard gives the guitar a nice visual pop. There are no issues with the nut, frets, and bridge. In fact, I would say that all the issues that I have with the guitar are cosmetic, but I knew this when I ordered it.

Crappy pic follows ... View attachment 795507

oh heck yes! I'm jealous, so jealous I gonna' hold my breath until??? Until I pass out and it's your fault,:rolleyes: having abandoned all personal responsibility for my greed . good for you , congratulations

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
But herein lies my problem ... I don't know what "Craft Foam" is, and even Googling "craft foam" brings up a host of varied materials, in wildly varying sizes and media. At this point it would just become a Trial and Error and Error and Error crapshoot, which could be fun, and interesting, or could just be tedious and repetitive. I'll have to see down which path I go ...

Technically, it is EVA foam sheet, but craft stores just refer to it as craft foam sheet. You can buy it in various colors and thickness.

beagle

Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is made from four layers of 0.020" styrene sheet bonded using butanone, which I use to build models. The top two layers are recessed to fit the metal dog ear tabs on the pickup. The lower two go beneath the tab to support it. The body is recessed to take the tabs, so just foam under the cover wouldn't do the job properly for my engineering brain.

61fury

Friend of Leo's
A minor aside, do the tuner buttons screw on? If so you might be able to replace them. Or just buy some tuners that are to your liking. Ebay ones work just fine for me.

Guitar looks great even if it's not Pelham.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
How is the neck profile? The thing that put me off the more affordable Gibson double cuts recently was the wide neck profile.