NGD... GRRRRRR!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Mar 17, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

What would I do?

I wouldn't buy a high ticket,personal item like a guitar online.

Look at it this way...you got it "relic'd" for free, & 2 years more vintage!

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Send it back.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

If it plays nice, I'd keep it. I mean, that is what counts, right?

GGardner, flathd, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

My thoughts: unless there is something really desirable about the 2015 model year over a 2013, I don't see the year being an issue besides it being demonstrative of how inattentive the seller is. I don't see that as a downside- it's probably not depreciating like a car would. If you bond with it, take the $159 and keep the guitar. If not, send it back. Either way, the seller should be able to learn a lesson from the experience.

GGardner, rcole_sooner and Torren61 like this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Did you report him?
    [​IMG]

moosie likes this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Sounds like you definitely did the right thing. How the seller handled the refund says a lot about him. Reading through this thread, sounds like it's becoming a better experience for you. :)

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I HATE mint guitars.

I find Duesenbergs challenging to look at but - they are marvelous instruments (I have a clean design aesthetic and let’s be realistic - a Duesenberg guitar is an early 70’s pimp car).

I would have kept it just for how good they play/sound however.

32FE001B-F2D0-416E-B6A2-CAAF71809821.jpeg

stevemc, gregulator450 and Torren61 like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Having to occasionally return an item that you bought off Reverb is not a big deal as long as all parties are cool about it. As a seller I've had to take things back (at my cost of shipping) that I thought were EXACTLY as advertised, but I didn't make a fuss about it. This seller is being cool. Could he have posted more photos and been more accurate? Yes. Could you have asked more questions before pulling the trigger? Yes. These things happen...

I agree that the VG listing is key- this absolves many potential oversights in the description except for the production year. Getting the year wrong is kind of dumb, but how does that affect the market value? It might actually make it be worth more.

As a buyer I think there are two valuations you need to consider, and the two are very different. Objectively, what is the current fair market price for a used, 2013 guitar of this type in VG condition? But the second issue is what is it worth to you? If you play it and fall in love with it then maybe you don't care if you pay slightly over market value, because you're not selling it anytime soon, and you have received high marginal economic utility (for you) by getting it. On the other hand, if it plays/feels/sounds/groks like "meh" to you, then no matter how good a deal you got in terms of fair market value, you still will feel like you'd rather have the money than the guitar.

But don't let your prior expectations color your judgement once you have it in your hand. Also don't let your feelings about the seller's oversights in his posting affect your ability to judge what you have in front of you. When buying something on line there will almost always be a delta (tiny or significant) between what you thought you were getting vs. what you actually got. But once it is in your hands you need to forget what you thought earlier and look at what you have in your hands for what it is. This is called anchoring bias-- letting your earlier assumptions color your ability to objectively evaluate what you have in your hands--

#7 Anchoring Bias
    Anchoring is the idea that we use pre-existing data as a reference point for all subsequent data, which can skew our decision-making processes.

moosie likes this.
  9. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

What is major to one person is negligible to another. A partial refund has no value to me. Giving me money isn't going to make the flaws go away or make me blind.
    However, using a small random orbital polisher all that rash will buff right out. The nicks can be filled to be pretty much invisible.
    Should you have to clean and repair it? I don't think so, but let him pay for the materials and even some of the labor involved and you can come out with a really sweet looking guitar.
    As for the year of manufacturer, for me two years older is a bonus.

gregulator450 and Torren61 like this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

My guitars and amps have alot of dings and scratches. But they're mostly decades old. That guitar (which is fancier than anything I own) has more than it's share of dings for a 2013 model. On the other hand, the seller seems reasonable. Play it. Love it. The purchase story just becomes parts of the guitar's history.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's been worked out. It's going back. FedEx is picking it up today. He already reimbursed me for the shipping and the full refund will come in after the guitar is returned. It's unfortunate as i was really looking forward to getting this axe. I was talking to my buddy last night about it and he agreed with me that it should go back. He also pointed out that people are probably going to need to sell gear in a few months and he expects the market to be flooded. While I'm not happy for other peoples' misfortunes, it'll help someone who really needs the money more than their gear to have a buyer.

The seller is a good guy who I think didn't intend to misrepresent his guitar but the wording should have been different. My satisfaction with Reverb is still high. I mean, yes this was a problem but the problem is resolving. My MetroPlex head sold for a great price and the buyer is satisfied.

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Wouldn't it be great if all gear transactions were so pleasant. Are you going to hunt for another Dussenberg? First time I ever heard of them was when Mike Campbell played one during the Super Bowl halftime show.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

EDIT: Sorry, duplicate post.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

So, you’re overall happy with the seller, since he was willing to eat his mistakes?

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Torren61

Well, once the guitar is returned and the money is refunded and since he's paid me for the shipping, I'm kinda out of all of it. He did all he right things once we started talking. So, I'm happy about that part. Anyone can make a mistake but not everyone fixes them. PLUS, he recognized, admitted and took responsibility for his mistake. Too bad not everyone can do that.

16. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Just a couple questions.

Do you have a photo of the whole guitar? because I've never seen a Duesenberg.

Also, did you ever try playing the guitar?

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Torren61

flathd likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Jason Isbell plays a Duesenberg when he plays electric. Once I realized they even existed I started noticing some of the really successful musicians that use them. Seems like a badge of having made it for working musicians. And/Or maybe they're getting sponsorship deals to market them? Very expensive....taking Les Pauls and fancy PRS's up another level in terms of exclusivity. I looked at Guitar Center's prices and the cheapest new one I saw was $2,600 but most are $2,800 and up....vs. Les Paul and PRS have models at much lower prices (though they also have more expensive ones, too)....

brookdalebill and Torren61 like this.
  19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Mike Campbell turned me on to these about 15 years ago, and I have had a Mike Campbell sig model on my G.A.S. bucket list ever since.

Mad Kiwi, brookdalebill and Torren61 like this.
  20. Torren61

Joe Walsh has a sig, also.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.