NGD Gretsch with P90s

rockymtnguitar

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My dad sent me a *very* kind birthday gift card, so I treated myself to an intriguing guitar. I ordered the Gretsch G5627T-P90 from Guitar Center. I've been on a Gretsch kick for a while and this is another great one. It's the first thinner body center-block I've had and the first guitar with both neck and bridge P90s (I have a Hamer Jr with a bridge P90 and a Reverend DAW with neck P90 and bridge HB). And I love Bigsbys.

The guitar came poorly packed with part of the Bigsby poking through the box, but it has no marks and everything seems to work well. It plays easy and has a very aggressive sound. I need to balance the pickups (the neck is much louder than the bridge) and I'll put a softer spring on the Bigsby, but otherwise it's exceptional and I look forward to years of enjoyment.

Note: Does anyone happen to know the proper Gretsch hardcase for this bodystyle?

DB087ABD-E0BD-4551-8050-CD86F5D7F35A_1_105_c.jpeg 442A616B-9A28-4175-8FEA-AE634AB714B6_1_105_c.jpeg 108CECA8-1BCC-453D-8A89-DBA75185406E_1_105_c.jpeg

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
That is a great guitar! I love Gretsch and the P90s are something I've been lusting after recently.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
HNGD! I was eyeballing that one as well. But, have something else on the burner.

Does anyone happen to know the proper Gretsch hardcase for this bodystyle?

Look at the G6298 Gretsch case...it fits the 16" semis with Bigsby and I'm 99.9% sure it is the fit. It is listed for the same guitar with HBs. Call a SW rep and ask for clarification (or you might email Gretsch...they've answered questions for me on occasion).

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
Don't get me wrong... I love Gretsch guitars for their sound and playability. For me, the best part of Gretsch guitars is their Filtertrons, and the worst is their almost complete dedication to Bigsbys.

Edit: My apologies for posting a negative comment on the new Gretsch. Enjoy. It's a beautiful guitar, and I also love P-90s.

Last edited:

rockymtnguitar

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Don't get me wrong... I love Gretsch guitars for their sound and playability. For me, the best part of Gretsch guitars is their Filtertrons, and the worst is their almost complete dedication to Bigsbys.

I certainly agree and have a couple of Filtertron-equipped Gretsch guitars. For me, this scratched a P90 itch while providing a cool look, trusted quality, and a Bigsby (which I do like). I don't think it's a Gretsch in the classic sense, but it's a rockin' guitar with the Gretsch logo.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I certainly agree and have a couple of Filtertron-equipped Gretsch guitars. For me, this scratched a P90 itch while providing a cool look, trusted quality, and a Bigsby (which I do like). I don't think it's a Gretsch in the classic sense, but it's a rockin' guitar with the Gretsch logo.

I procured a Streamliner hollow body with one Broadtron and one P90 w/Bigsby, during the lockdown...it is a nice guitar. The semi I have is one of the green GC three pickup specials...also fun.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
My dad sent me a *very* kind birthday gift card, so I treated myself to an intriguing guitar. I ordered the Gretsch G5627T-P90 from Guitar Center. I've been on a Gretsch kick for a while and this is another great one. It's the first thinner body center-block I've had and the first guitar with both neck and bridge P90s (I have a Hamer Jr with a bridge P90 and a Reverend DAW with neck P90 and bridge HB). And I love Bigsbys.

The guitar came poorly packed with part of the Bigsby poking through the box, but it has no marks and everything seems to work well. It plays easy and has a very aggressive sound. I need to balance the pickups (the neck is much louder than the bridge) and I'll put a softer spring on the Bigsby, but otherwise it's exceptional and I look forward to years of enjoyment.

Note: Does anyone happen to know the proper Gretsch hardcase for this bodystyle?

View attachment 910539 View attachment 910541 View attachment 910542

That's a serious beauty! One of the prettiest guitars I've seen in years. Enjoy!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Cool. I had a dad.

To balance those P 90s, just bring the bridge up fairly high. Make sure you like the tone. Then drop the neck down until the volume is the same. You'll probably need to be down by the pick guard level with the neck PU to make that happen.

Don't miss adjusting the pole pieces to balance the individual strings.