NGD: Gretsch G5627T P-90 Speyside

Zenyatta

TDPRI Member
Got a good deal on a used Gretsch G5627T P-90 Speyside (a Guitar Center exclusive, not found on the Gretsch site):

JlCYUnY.jpg

UAPo2EV.jpg

qXRXMwm.jpg

F9byuql.jpg

I gave it a setup, swapped the strings out for some D'Addario nickel wrap 10s (wound third). I have been playing it for a good couple of hours a day for almost a week.

Pickups: They sound quite good. As P90s go they might be on the underwound side, but only just. They are not hum cancelling in the middle position, I think I will eventually do a polarity change on the neck pickup to fix that. This confirms my suspicion though that P90s are the kings of clean tone. Yes, I said it.

Neck: feel is similar to my G5420T. I think it's a bit chunkier and I think it gets a bit wider as you go up the neck. Width at nut is 1.687", and it's pretty comfortable. Fretwork is very good, polished fret ends and no uneven frets. The neck sticks out from the body much further than my 5420, and there is a bit of neck dive as a result. Definitely heavier than the 5420, but it's not a boat anchor. I think I'll need a wider, "stickier" strap for this one.

Overall quality: quite nice, on par with my G5420T. I'll say that the wood grain is actually better - quite nice looking, front and back. The Speyside finish is really pretty. I love that the headstock is translucent brown and not black like most Electromatics. I was iffy on the tuners at first, but it seems to stay in tune well.

Zenyatta

TDPRI Member
Thanks guys! Yeah, both of my Electromatics are great!

For comparison, I tried out the Squier 40th Anniversary Jazzmaster, which was the same price. It felt way less solid and much cheaper hardware. Pity because it looks so cool.

The Gretsch Electromatics are a lot of guitar for the money.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! I saw one of these at Guitar Center last week and gave it a quick try unplugged. I liked it a lot. For a semi-hollow body guitar, it had a strong acoustic sound even with all the ambient noise of Guitar Center. The Bigsby actually felt great. And the thing is gorgeous!

For some reason, I just never gravitated to Gretsch guitars. I had one, briefly, but we didn't jibe and I sold it. Most of them are too blingie for my tastes, but this P90 model looks great.

Zenyatta

TDPRI Member
Congrats! I saw one of these at Guitar Center last week and gave it a quick try unplugged. I liked it a lot. For a semi-hollow body guitar, it had a strong acoustic sound even with all the ambient noise of Guitar Center. The Bigsby actually felt great. And the thing is gorgeous!

For some reason, I just never gravitated to Gretsch guitars. I had one, briefly, but we didn't jibe and I sold it. Most of them are too blingie for my tastes, but this P90 model looks great.

Thanks! Yeah, my other guitar is fully hollow and I was also surprised how resonant this is despite the center block.

Last edited:

Tone Deaf Sloth

TDPRI Member
Love this guitar. Found it on Musician's Friend for a couple of hundred dollars off the going price. Bought it through Guitar Center after they price matched before I figured out they are both pretty much one and the same now. I struggled with the Bigsby but liked the guitar some much I converted it to a hard tail.

IMG_9497.jpg