1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! Got one with the wrong saddles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FuzzWatt, Nov 28, 2020.

1. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

So today is a NGD for me. I picked up a Player Tele in Sonic Red. I love this colour and was disappointed when I learned they'd discontinued it after only about a year. Anyways, I found one and got a good deal on it for it being older stock. I got $300 off.

It's one of the best Fenders I've ever owned (more than 15) and it's definitely a keeper.

I've noticed online there seems to be confusion about which saddles this model is supposed to come with. Mine came with the older more rectangular saddles, not the bent steel ones some gear magazines/sites have claimed it comes with. Looking around online I see in pictures that many Sonic Red Player Teles have the same saddles as mine, but some have the bent steel ones. Fender's site shows and says it comes with block steel saddles. So I'm wondering if anyone might know why mine and many others have the older saddles and not the upgraded bent steel ones?

Also, does anyone happen to have the 2018 Player Series specs from the change over?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

The bent steel saddles on some of these Teles interfered with the body string through, or something like that.

I think because of complaints the saddles changed during production, but some people didn’t mind having to move the originals around to re-string.

FuzzWatt likes this.
  3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

All is good. Your Tele has the updated saddles. For all of this free advice, you need to post photos.

4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I tried a MIM Player Tele HH yesterday that I really liked, and I'm almost certain that it had modern block saddles. It had a silver sparkle finish that I can't find on the Fender Web site. Nice pao ferro fingerboard, and found out later that some models have a push/pull for splitting the hb coils, which I would have tried if I had known.

5. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

I see. Well, thanks for the info guys! I may change out the bridge eventually to one with brass saddles anyways.

Here's a quick pic of it. The pau ferro fingerboard on this one is butt ugly, imo, but I don't mind. I love the red and planned on changing the neck out for a maple one eventually anyways.

In the meantime I'm really loving this guitar. I plays, sounds and feels incredible. These new Fenders are ridiculously good! This one in particular is fantastic. For $460 USD I'm a very happy man!

Attached Files:

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had the Player Strat in that color, and when I got it, it was hanging right next to a Classic Series 60s Strat in Fiesta Red, and they looked identical, although some Fiesta Red guitars look more orange and less red than those two. I also had a Sage Green Player Strat, and those were my two favorite colors of the Player Series, and also the two that they discontinued, so I guess others didn't agree with me, lol. I ended up selling them both, because I find PF to be TOO hard, and it actually hurts my fingers after a while playing it. So, I guess I'll never buy another MIM Fender, unless it's a maple neck, or they return to using rosewood, now that the restrictions have been lifted for musical instruments.

7. DougM

That's a steal of a deal! I paid $649 for mine.

8. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

Many years ago I owned a sage green strat, 2005ish? I liked it a lot.

This isn't my first Fender with pau ferro and although I don't mind it if it's a nice cut, I do prefer rosewood. Ultimately I prefer maple necks on Teles.

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The Player Tele HHs still have the bent steel saddles, but it's fine on them since it uses a hardtail Strat bridge so the geometry works properly.

FuzzWatt likes this.
  10. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

Yeah, I really couldn't pass it up. It was between this and a Godin Stadium (basically a Tele). And although I really like Godins (I own a couple) there's no way I wasn't taking this home at that price.

wblynch likes this.
  11. DougM

Sage Green, along with Blue Agave and Midnight Wine, were the three coolest colors of Mexican Standards back in the 90s.

12. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

As a side note; has anyone noticed the flat top knobs on these player Teles are quite sharp around the top edge? They also feel cheap to me. I plan on swapping them out sooner than later.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I like that fretboard, makes it unique and kind of organic. Rest of the guitar is cool as well. Not sure of pricing where you are but at around £425 I reckon you got a good deal.

FuzzWatt likes this.
  14. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I had the same guitar, an early 2018 with the wrong saddles. Great guitars still. Good news, a replacement bridge was only $26.00.

I recently traded my players Sonic Red Telecaster for an Acoustic guitar and I will be ordering a new American Performer Telecaster soon.

Loved the Player Tele but I have my heart set on owning a Sonic Blue Telecaster with a Rosewood neck.

BF35ADC2-8AF4-41B6-8BF8-560375DDC01D.jpeg

Fretting out and Crobbins like this.
  15. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

I hear you. My first choice was a vintage white American Performer, but I just can't justify the price right now. I really liked the sonic red finish so I had to jump when I saw this one on sale.

Next year I'd like to start an MJT build. Blonde, maple neck.

16. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

I'm in Canada. These were normally about $900. I got this one for $600.

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, you did well my friend.

FuzzWatt likes this.
  18. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

The block saddles were considered an up-grade from the old style bent steel ones :).

edit: I think that neck looks good, it has some character :)!!!

Besides, after some playing and some time, it'll darken up some and the graining and color difference will become more subtle. Nice guitar!

FuzzWatt likes this.
  19. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

FuzzWatt likes this.
  20. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

1. Nice guitar! Score! As far as saddles go...I like the block brass on Tele. Unless it is vintage. Might not be stock or original, but they kick ass. Way better than the bent ones in my opinion. String spacing is key. 3 different sizes. Worth the try. You can always switch back. 30$ on ebay.

FuzzWatt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.