NGD-Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by twintwelve, Aug 16, 2015.

1. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

After much agonizing, I traded my much loved (but little played) 1961 Harmony H-74 even up for a relatively new and minty Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II, a Canadian made, P90 equipped, ES-125ish archtop.
    I originally wanted a Gretsch Electromatic of one style or another, but after comparing them to the Godin, it soon became a case of content over style-the 5th Avenue kicked Gretsch butt...then Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD made the deal happen! It also came with a weird, but very protective, Tric case.
    When I got home, I swapped the very cool Tusq archtop bridge for a tun-o-matic I had in the parts cabinet, making it much more Gibson like, set up the intonation and height and.........this thing rules-tone, feel and action wise, it is the best playing and sounding archtop I've played or owned, and I've played some nice ones.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    The last shot is the Harmony I traded.

Attached Files:

2. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

Ha! I love it when a plan comes together! Great guitars. I've been wanting one as I probably won't ever get an original gibson 125, and these play so well and can be set up easily. Nice purchase, great looker, congrats.

3. twintwelve

Thanks, man! I stupidly got rid of a 125 many years ago, and this scratches that itch admirably. Putting on the TOM really did the trick. They are fine guitars, and generally a bargain used.

4. twintwelve

Has anyone here ever put a Bigsby on one of these? If so , which model?

5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

The uptown GT model comes with a bigsby, but it also comes with HBs.

6. twintwelve

Yeah I'm aware of that. I want to Bigsbize mine...

7. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

B7- that's what I put on my hollow archtop. I think that's what was on your harmony.

8. LeeVegas

LeeVegas Tele-Meister

I've been coveting one of these for a while. Is that the burgundy finish?

9. twintwelve

Yes that is the burgundy finish.

10. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I'd put a B6, you don't really need the tension bar of the B7.

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. I have the regular 5th Ave, and I have to say the TRIC case is the best. Most of the advantages of a gig bag, tougher than the average hard case.

12. i81b4u

i81b4u TDPRI Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but can you describe to me what the neck size is on this model? Is it on the thinner side, or thicker side? Does it have good shoulder? I'd like to find out more about the neck before I place an order for this guitar. Thanks.

13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It is the most played instrument in my house right now. The neck width, short scale, smaller body...just a real joy to play. It isn't the loudest acoustically, but it sure shines plugged in. I play mostly roots blues and jazz on it, but you could cover a lot of ground with it and the thing is just beautiful. My advice to others would be to buy used though as I keep seeing them sold on local sites for around $600. I think people go in expecting a very loud archtop volume and end up disappointed. As long as you are mainly looking for an electric with the ability to record with it as an acoustic, you will be thrilled.

emisilly likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.