1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Gibson SG Standard!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by chipbutty24, Dec 8, 2013.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Well today I traded an MIJ Tele for a 2012 SG Standard.

I've never had, never ever played a Gibson before. I had an Epi Les Paul years ago and an Agile AL3000 more recently. Both guitars were good, the Agile was actually a pretty spectacular instrument but both I found to be way too heavy for my taste, so I figured a Les Paul would never suit me.

I do however like humbuckers and being a Fender guy I've tried a few of their bucker offerings with no satisfaction.

I posted my MIJ Tele on Kijiji as trade bait. After a bunch of crumby offers, a very nice guy contacted me wanting to trade his SG. We met today and I was sold. This thing is in perfect shape save one tiny ding.

This is the guitar I have been longing for and didn't even know it. The neck feels really great. Very different from my Fenders. This thing really rocks. Pickups sound great, not muddy like I secretly feared.

As strange as it may sound, it feels kind of Tele-like. Light, slim, simple and solid.

What can I say...count me among the SG faithful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

great axe. i too am a SG guy. i own a agile les paul too.. but i like the easy excess to the upper frets from the SG body style. i own a odd ball tho. its when gibson bought kramer out in 07 i think. i picked this kramer sg up for 200.00; best 200 bucks iv ever spent. but the odd thing about it this: its a bastard of a child. its like someone in the Korea factory was bored or high.. and decided to hit the trash bin. cause it has a ESP SG body style, a Gibson custom neck. 57 classic humbuckers. Grover tuners. all mahogany. just one odd ball guitar. but i like it as im so un-perfect and broken; we fit like peas in a pod. i see the 2014 models are coming out with cryogenic frets this interest me much because i love my dean markley cryogenic strings. and the 2014 anniversary prices are very fair. congrats on your new baby. rock on.
    p.s

im still enjoying my epiphone Sheraton II. ( again easy access to the upper frets. )

3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Tele's and SG's always go well together, always been my favourites.

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great trade! I like SGs... I'll get another one day, perhaps in white :)

5. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Happy NGD. I've come close to getting an SG on more than one occasion but haven't pulled the trigger. Some day.

6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

congrats! I too love the feel of my sg neck and I like the scale length

7. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Cool guitar!Always wanted a sg maybe someday to hooked on teles right now.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's a beauty. Congratulations. SG's are about as comfy as a guitar can get and they sound fantastic. Enjoy!

9. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful, I have the same SG.....let me correct that my son currently has my SG and it is highly unlikely that I will ever see it again! :)

10. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar. An SG Standard is really one of the classics.

I have owned several SG's in the past, including a great Standard with a big fat neck. Over the last 10 years I got rid of most of my guitars to pay for other things, so I just bought my first US made guitar in quite a while, a 1999 Gibson SG Gothic. It will be a couple of months before I get home to see it.

In fact, this just reminded me and I uploaded a picture of me playing my old Standard as an avatar.

11. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Great guitar. Just bought a new SG Special after years of exclusive Tele use. The SG is a great complement to the Tele -- still a simple, light axe with plenty of versatility.

Congrats!

12. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Looks nice. SGs are sweet guitars and the only guitar that I think looks good in black. Congrats.

13. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I'm an SG fan also but...........

I still prefer the good ol' Telecaster. I had three SGs but I took one (faded red finish) to California in October to give to my daughter. I still have an Epi SG which is the satin black "Goth" model. My favorite though is my "Raw Power Series" SG Gibson put out in '03. It's all maple and really covers all the bases. I have it rewired with a master volume and tone on the top two knobs. The bottom two are pull pots with a phase switch in front and a coil tap in the rear. I also installed a Bigsby Palm Pedal B & G bender device. The only drawback to this guitar and the reason it's not my #1 is the Gibson jumbo frets which I absolutely hate. Jumbo frets are one thing I can't stand on any guitar............Here's a couple of shots of it...........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

14. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

You can make an SG twang and rock,no muddy stuff going on. I like them.

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I'm a big Sg fan myself. I went years without having one and finally bought another this past September. They are such a no nonsense, no frills kind of guitar that I've always thought of as Gibson's attempt at making a Telecaster. Everybody should own one.

16. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

SGs can certainly twang like a Tele with the right settings. Listen to Gary Louris's playing on any of the early Jayhawks records. You'd swear it was Tele but it's all SG.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.