NGD: Gibson SG Standard '61 sv

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
The SG is a very good guitar, but I can see why the sideways Vibrola ever caught on. More of a Bigsby guy myself.

Bob Welch of Fleetwood Mac actually played a white Gibson SG during his tenure in the band, but I think his was a 63 or 64.

jmatthe

NEW MEMBER!
I was on the hunt for one of these guitars for a while and today I finally took the plunge. It's a great player and it sounds and looks awesome.

Shoutout to the very nice and helpful people at Fellowship of Acoustics:
View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342
The sideways vibrola is a little quirky but it has it's charm.
What year is this SG? It looks great.

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
Thanks everyone! I wanted to have a humbucker guitar that was also nice sounding when clean and this one's right up my alley. My first preference was actually one with the lyre vibrola but here in the Netherlands only the sideways ones kept popping up, so I decided to give this one a try and it instantly clicked. I like the feel of the neck and the acoustic loudness of the guitar in general (I like to play my guitars unplugged from time to time to not annoy my neighbours)
I've had no issues with the neck shifted to the left compared to my other guitars (next to my Telecaster the Jaguar was already a little shifted to the left)
A good strap will balance out the neck dive known on these guitars (this one does it a little but the vibrola also acts as a counterweight)

Question, as I've never played a guitar ANY Gibson ( or Epi) with any variety of a Vibrato bar- only Tune-o-Matics w/stop bar, or trapeze tailpieces
Do these guitars ( w/vibratos) stay in tune, even if you never use them , or even take off the bar?

I love the way they look, but do they hold tune OK?
Thanks!
The Sideways Vibrola does not stay in tune when you use it intensively, at least with new strings. I was told when the strings are older the stability settles down and tuning will be less of an issue but I only have this guitar a few days so I couldn't tell. But as I said the Vibrola acts as a counterweight and balances out the guitar.

Sweet guitar!

I'm jonesing for an SG pretty badly lately but I hate that it's impossible to find the 61 model in colours other than red. Not that there's anything wrong with red, I'd just appreciate some variety.
It is indeed a pity that the only colour options on this model are Cherry Red, Cherry Red or Cherry Red. If you want other colours as Inverness Green (which I like) you're talking Custom Shop money and that's way too much for what I can afford. The store also had a Pelham Blue one with Lyre hanging on the wall but no way I'm paying 7100 bucks for it. The one I bought also felt better in my hands and that's what counts for me.

Trageser22

TDPRI Member
I was on the hunt for one of these guitars for a while and today I finally took the plunge. It's a great player and it sounds and looks awesome.

Shoutout to the very nice and helpful people at Fellowship of Acoustics:
View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342
The sideways vibrola is a little quirky but it has it's charm.
Beautiful piece of wood! Is that natural, or is it stained?

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've got far too many guitars already but the one I have been looking at for some time is exactly the one in the middle. Ocean Turquosie with the headstock painted.

I've held off though because I've read a lot of negatives about their quirkiness, setup etc.

So be honest; Pros/Cons? Usable for much? Best style(s) of music for fit?

The quirks are a little overstated sometimes. I like a StayTrem bridge and a decent neck shim on a Jag. They play very solidly with those. If you tend to pick fairly lightly you won’t encounter many issues. They don’t have tons of sustain but there are lots of usable sounds, especially for surf, indie rock and pop. All the switching positions have some use. Better for rhythm than solos perhaps.

scottrandall

TDPRI Member
Beautiful! I think SG's (and Firebirds) look better with the Vibrola regardless of the actual functionality of it. I mean, they work but they're pretty dicey. They look awesome though!

Congrats!
I've never had a vibrola on either my SG, or Firebird - I'm afraid to try either, because I have no doubt that it will correct the neck dive, markedly, on both, and I'm already sold on the looks. Once I try it (if 'try' can still fit the definition), I'll be locked in, and have NO choice. I better have my wallet!

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
I've got far too many guitars already but the one I have been looking at for some time is exactly the one in the middle. Ocean Turquosie with the headstock painted.

I've held off though because I've read a lot of negatives about their quirkiness, setup etc.

So be honest; Pros/Cons? Usable for much? Best style(s) of music for fit?
The Jaguar is a very versatile guitar, it can handle a load of music styles like surf, americana, new wave, indierock even blues and jazz if you want to. One of my favourite players Marc Ribot can get wicked sounds out of a Jaguar. I even find some use in the rhythm circuit from time to time.

To me the 7.25 radius makes it especially comfortable for open chords and the short scale makes stretchy chord grips a little easier. Yes the bridge does rattle, but then again it's a Jaguar, I don't mind quirks on a guitar (sideways vibrolas on SG's, gotta love em)

Of course the guitar required a decent setup and changing to thicker string gauges (0.11-0.50) instead of the factory 0.09 improves a lot. The Pau Ferro fretboard also needs treatment since it was very dry. Otherwise no stability issues for me on the Jaguar, it can handle ferocious Kevin Shields strumming without problems.

WelhavenTW

TDPRI Member
Very nice. I’m playing my SG a lot these days. It feels a little weird the first few chords when your is #1 a strat with 7.25 radius.

It’s currently a battle between Gibson and Fender at my home 😜

V/SG vs strat/tele.

Fiesta Red Tele

TDPRI Member
Question, as I've never played a guitar ANY Gibson ( or Epi) with any variety of a Vibrato bar- only Tune-o-Matics w/stop bar, or trapeze tailpieces
Do these guitars ( w/vibratos) stay in tune, even if you never use them , or even take off the bar?

I love the way they look, but do they hold tune OK?
Thanks!
No mate, they don't stay in tune for love nor money, yeah you get the whammy effect but you need to pray to get a chord in tune after you use it. (nature of the beast, I'm afraid)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No mate, they don't stay in tune for love nor money, yeah you get the whammy effect but you need to pray to get a chord in tune after you use it. (nature of the beast, I'm afraid)

Thanks,
That might drive me crazy! ( I really like things to stay in tune!)

My Stratocaster has a vintage style vibrato ( set up to 'float'), but stays in tune pretty well. I use the bar ( gently for chord and lead stuff). All others have fixed bridges.

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
What I've experienced with the Sideways Vibrola system now that I played around with my SG for a week is that if you use it in a very subtle way the guitar stays in tune quite well. And don't push the trem downwards otherwise it will go out of tune in a weird way. If you push the bar back upwards the tuning somewhat recovers itself but the thing is clearly designed to only move it in upwards direction. Usable? Nah, not by a long mile but it's a fun piece that gives character to the guitar.

Fiesta Red Tele

TDPRI Member
What I've experienced with the Sideways Vibrola system now that I played around with my SG for a week is that if you use it in a very subtle way the guitar stays in tune quite well. And don't push the trem downwards otherwise it will go out of tune in a weird way. If you push the bar back upwards the tuning somewhat recovers itself but the thing is clearly designed to only move it in upwards direction. Usable? Nah, not by a long mile but it's a fun piece that gives character to the guitar.
Yeah so in shorts that is what I said previously, you can probably just feather it, but as soon as you dive a whole tone, you're in lala land :)

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
Yeah so in shorts that is what I said previously, you can probably just feather it, but as soon as you dive a whole tone, you're in lala land :)
Not only that but with the way it works it's already impractical to use if you want to incorporate it into your playing. The Maestro Lyre works better for that anyway, but I have no idea how stable those are tuningwise. However for some people those seem to work just fine:

A little yank on the trem from time to time is fun, but if I want fanatic whammy strumming I'll just use my Jaguar.

Last edited:

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Not only that but with the way it works it's already impractical to use if you want to incorporate it into your playing. The Maestro Lyre works better for that anyway, but I have no idea how stable those are tuningwise. However for some people those seem to work just fine:

A little yank on the trem from time to time is fun, but if I want fanatic whammy strumming I'll just use my Jaguar.

That Wilco tune was pretty damn amazing.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
I tightened down the springs on my '61 Les Paul/SG sideways trem. basically making it basically a "Hard Tail".

Gibson advertised it as an updated unit, it still doesn't stay in tune any better than the original one.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I tightened down the springs on my '61 Les Paul/SG sideways trem. basically making it basically a "Hard Tail".

Gibson advertised it as an updated unit, it still doesn't stay in tune any better than the original one.
Is this an original '61 Les Paul/SG or a recent reissue?

Just curious, broadening my ' SG education...

I bet it was a mind-blower to the guitar universe in 1961 ( especially Fender, maybe?), for folks to see 'the NEW Gibson Les Paul!' vs. the iconic '52-'60 model.
Like landing on the moon vs. orbiting the earth.

(I know the SG comes out 6-7 years later, but I think of it as Gibson's counter-attack to the Stratocaster- 2 remarkable guitars, IMO)