NGD: Gibson SG Standard '61 sv

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
I was on the hunt for one of these guitars for a while and today I finally took the plunge. It's a great player and it sounds and looks awesome.

Shoutout to the very nice and helpful people at Fellowship of Acoustics:
20220526_135033.jpg

20220526_200530.jpg

The sideways vibrola is a little quirky but it has it's charm.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful, congrats! I'm a Tele player for sure, but I sure do love my SG Special. They're wonderful guitars... enjoy!

John C

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! I have yet to see one with the sideways vibrola in person (just the stop tail and the lyre vibrola) but it looks cool. I agree with @Double Stop that SGs and Firebirds just somehow look a little more balanced with a vibrola.

JimnTx

TDPRI Member
I was on the hunt for one of these guitars for a while and today I finally took the plunge. It's a great player and it sounds and looks awesome.

View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342
DAAEA577-E69E-4193-B44F-7140935870F5.jpeg

Some of these Teles are really odd looking.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic

View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342

I like all three of those guitars!

Fiesta Red Tele

TDPRI Member

View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342
Very nice SG, congratulations, aside from the well known neck dive, they are some of the most ergonomic guitars to play, a nice thin body and almost weightless, you can access any fret if you wish to, and when setup properly they are very very easy to bend strings and fret barre all day long. Here's mine together with her other Gibson sisters. The semi acoustic is not mine. Mine is the SG Standard without vibrola, I am not a fan of wiggly bars so all my guitars are hard tails.

P.s.: Dweezil Zappa said in one of his interviews that he has moved the strap pin to the top of the upper horn to correct the neck dive. I haven't tried it because I don't want to drill holes and I mostly play sat down so, what neck dive? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 45

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Beautiful! I think SG's (and Firebirds) look better with the Vibrola regardless of the actual functionality of it. I mean, they work but they're pretty dicey. They look awesome though!

Congrats!

Question, as I've never played a guitar ANY Gibson ( or Epi) with any variety of a Vibrato bar- only Tune-o-Matics w/stop bar, or trapeze tailpieces
Do these guitars ( w/vibratos) stay in tune, even if you never use them , or even take off the bar?

I love the way they look, but do they hold tune OK?
Thanks!

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic

View attachment 987341
View attachment 987342
I've got far too many guitars already but the one I have been looking at for some time is exactly the one in the middle. Ocean Turquosie with the headstock painted.

I've held off though because I've read a lot of negatives about their quirkiness, setup etc.

So be honest; Pros/Cons? Usable for much? Best style(s) of music for fit?

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Sweet guitar!

I'm jonesing for an SG pretty badly lately but I hate that it's impossible to find the 61 model in colours other than red. Not that there's anything wrong with red, I'd just appreciate some variety.