NGD: Gibson SG Original 2013

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rze99, Sep 20, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my new (old) Gibson SG "Original" from 2013. I sold some parts and a Tele to a mate to free up some cash and bought this mid 60s type model.

The lesser known "SG Original" wasn't made for long, a short run of about 12 months I think. Gibson released a number of SG models in 2013 as "the year of the Les Paul".

The spec is based on the the original 1961 Gibson SG except to me it is more like a '65 having chrome not nickel parts and doesn't have the "Les Paul" truss cover of the '61 vintage. I prefer nickel parts but it's only available on the Custom shop '60s reissues at 3 times the price.

The neck is a classic '60s slim taper (not skinny, about .85 at first fret and .95 at the 12th). The wide nut makes chords super easy. Very low action and easy bends. It's a breeze. The fingerboard is a beautiful very dark rosewood that is smoothly finished and looks like a vintage board to me. The neck has great frets and yellowed binding. The headstock has a '60s shape and an abalone Gibson logo.

The nitro "Heritage Cherry" finish is a balance between bright new Cherry and a darker aged but not faded cherry. It is rich and vibrant looking darker in some lights. The mahogany body has the original "deep scarf" carve edges found on vintage SGs with properly tapered horns like the vintage models. Bridge is Nashville type not ABR-1.

The '57 Classic humbuckers need no introduction just to say they are lovely humbuckers with a bold tight bottom end and a clear sweet top end. At 7.6 Ohms they are low output and vintage sounding. They do a fabulous tight sweet crunch. Like the 335, one of my favourite settings is both pickups all up full except neck pickup volume at just under 8. A bright clear warm setting that sounds great with crunch settings and is very sensitive to picking and strumming dynamics.

The vintage-style Maestro Vibrola Lyre tailpiece looks super cool. The issue with it is the arm won't stay in place for long and becomes quickly loose with use. It is simple enough to screw tighter but there must be a way to make it stay. Anyone know a trick?

It has a proper hand soldered wiring loom and caps, none of your PCB boards here. It rolls back and keeps the top end so I can get those light warm jangles.

It is very loud acoustically and it vibrates through the body and neck and feels very satisfying to play.
    It is light at around 7 pounds but balances perfectly.

pics

IMG_4374.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Beautiful! Great pics. Happy NGD!

rze99 likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yes. Perfection. That is just a very, very fine SG. Congrats!

Dan R and rze99 like this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that is a great guitar! and only 7 pounds?

rze99 likes this.
  5. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Thats an absolute cracker of a guitar you have there! Beautiful! Enjoy it and congrats. Best NGD I've seen in a while

rze99 likes this.
  6. rze99

Yep and feels light as a feather on the strap.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Very nice, looks new.

rze99 likes this.
  8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

That is fantastic, the classic SG look.

Aren't you going to swap the pickups and tuners and buy a new bridge ? And probably some caps....or knobs....

9. rze99

Cheers!
    and NO!. Nothing to change about this for me.

10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Beautimous!

rze99 likes this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Hmmm. Not very blue

rze99 likes this.
  12. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Only kidding.

rze99 likes this.
  13. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Magnificent! It's like a coupe de ville, only cooler.

rze99 likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Awesome I always liked the look of those maestro trem units even if they aren’t the best at wiggle waggle

rze99 likes this.
  15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar.

rze99 likes this.
  16. rze99

:D))
    Astute of you.
    Maybe a Pelham Blue refin?

17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Wow. Just wow.

A big congratulations.

rze99 likes this.
  18. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

It's beautiful though and exactly the colour an SG should be. It reminds me of the Gibsons I spent as much time as I dared lusting after in Selmers, Charing Cross Rd at the end of the 60's. Happy days.

My only brush with a real SG was trying to get one of my son's friend's SG to play in tune for their band's first recording. Not a happy experience and I think he borrowed my Strat.

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Now that's an excellent guitar. Beautiful deep color, nice gloss. Even that trainwreck, crap vibrola at least looks good (just don't use it)! I have an '87 reissue '61 LP/SG Custom (3 PU) and it is my all time favorite guitar. Even run of the mill SGs are terrific, but the good ones like yours are really something special. Enjoy!

20. rze99

Thank you. Great times.

Yes I think the colour of this is just perfect for a 61 style.

I’ve got a an emotional soft spot for SGs too. I wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom the most as a teenager but was penniless. I got a teenage job and I worked hard and saved up all my cash.

I saw an old SG with P90s in a music shop and, although it wasn’t a Les Paul, it was about half the price of a Les Paul so I blew all my cash on it. It was a great guitar and i played it all the time and learned a lot and did gigs. Just that and an MV Marshall stack. Classic gear.
    My first top quality guitar and first Gibson. I didn't realise it was what would now be regarded as vintage. It was a ‘68! I actually still have the receipt for it somewhere. £240. Ridiculous! I traded it later for a brand new white USA Strat when I went through a massive Hendrix phase. Too bad I couldn’t have both!

I’d love to have that ‘68 SH back. I don’t know the serial number so wouldn’t recognise it it if it came up for sale. I bought an SG Classic a few years ago. I had that rewired to include a treble bleed and it’s a damn fine substitute for the ‘68

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.