NGD...Gibson P90...Disappointment...Help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by kddean66, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

I feel like people often say try adjusting the height of the pickups when other people bring up this problem, so maybe start there.

2. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

How does the guitar sound unplugged? Does it resonate and sound pleasing? If so, I'd then look at the pickups and electronics, if not it may be the guitar itself.

3. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I love my Gibby les Paul special with p90s, I think maybe your guitar is the exception

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If it's that terrible sounding, it is wired correctly? Is it possible that it's gone through QC wired out of phase, as is possible to do with P90s?

Long shot, I know... and forgive me if it's a daft question, my wiring knowledge is pretty rudimentary!

5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I played a bunch of those Les Pauls at GC when a friend of mine was looking to buy one. I thought they all sounded like trash. And it wasn't the P90s.

The guitars played well enough but just felt really cheap and sounded even cheaper.

6. kddean66

kddean66 Tele-Holic

Well, I decided to follow John's advice and I restrung the guitar with Dunlop 10s. I am embarrassed to admit that the new strings made the guitar have a whole new tone that is bright and sparkly. I would never have thought that a guitar that had been in the store less than two months would have bad strings but I learned a lesson here. Thanks John for helping me with something I should have known already.

Now, it's a happy NGD. With the change I love everything about this guitar now.:D

7. bugbiteaudio

bugbiteaudio Tele-Meister

+1 - same guitar. played many p90s from various makers in many guitars. SG Classic - standard p90s = Best

8. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine bought this same model and I can vouch that it's a gig-worthy, affordable, badass USA-made guitar.

As everyone should always do after buying a brand-new instrument, take it to a luthier for a setup. Do this immediately, not after dicking around with it yourself unless you are an expert. Worth every penny.

Changing pickups will strip you of some bread, that's about it. P-90's have been perfected many decades back.

I really am blown away that a real player would buy a new guitar & not have it set up by a pro before evaluating it & posting an opinion on the internet.

Maybe one out of fifty top-brand axes is a "dog". That's when you demand a refund.

9. pizza4breakfast

pizza4breakfast TDPRI Member

Two months is definitely enough time for strings to become lifeless, especially if it's played often. Nothing better than a fresh set of strings!

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I bought the ebony Traditional w/P-90s and had a similar experience. I had immediate tuning and tone problems also. Since I know what P-90s should sound like, and I have always had the best experience with Grovers, I knew that the problem had to be with the strings. Even though my guitar had only hung on the wall for a day, you have to figure that the strings may have not been properly stretched during installation. Anyway, a new set of D'Addarios solved both issues.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hard to imagine it's not some kind of fault...including crappy strings.
    I think Gibson still makes some of the best P90's in the biz.
    I did recently put a set of 11's on my Epi 56 GT because I usually like 11's on my "Gibson" scale stuff, and I thought they sounded a bit dull and thuddy.
    Went back to 10's and it opened right up.

12. The Quasar-Kid

The Quasar-Kid Tele-Meister

Agreed..!!!
    I buy strings in 12 packs on Amazon.com
    I change them about every 7 to 10 days on each guitar I own
    On my Strat with a locking system the strings last sometimes only two or three nights (Dive bombs kill strings)

:p Rock on..!!!

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, maybe I'm fairly sure I'm a "real player" (if you ***** me, do I not bleed?) but it seems to me that by doing that you would be evaluating the setup, not the product. Or at least evaluating Product X as prepared by Guitar Tech Y. I want to know what a product is like in its as-sold condition, not after someone has spent extra to get it tweaked.

I do not get a setup on every guitar I buy, and I never get it done immediately. I play it for a while first, and evaluate it so that when/if I take it to a pro, I can give him feedback on what I like/don't like about the instrument.

The only thing I do immediately to every guitar is change the strings. Not for one minute after I have paid for it do I waste my time with the strings that are on it. In fact, I'll usually get the store to toss in a set of my favourites if I can.

14. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

+1....also less chance of getting a disease. A little chapstick or pencil lead on the nut as I change each string too! Then you can play away and evaluate the setup.

15. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

If the guitar has a coil tap option, the pickups aren't P90's. I had a 50's Tribute LP for a while and the stock Gibson P90's sounded great.

Get some real P90's and change the wiring to 50's specs. I'd look for a set of used Gibson's or Duncan vintage spec pickups and sell the stock pickups to defray the cost.

Good Luck

16. LOSTVENTURE

I have to go with Mr. German on this. I've been playing for 50+ years and have dealt with quite a variety of "new guitar" problems. Most, I've been able to take care of myself, others, not. The secret is to spend some time playing the instrument and evaluating what you feel and see. THEN, if I need a second opinion, I know a guitar tech here in town that can do wonders.

ps - to the man from Ruperts land:
    I recently bought a Godin Multriac ACS-SA. That's the nylon strung solid body, cedar top, maple body classic. It's not only an amazing sounding guitar, it's a beautiful piece of art as well. It happens to be the most playable classical guitar that I've ever encountered. The guys from up north should be proud of this company. Several builders down here in the lower 48 could learn a lot from the Godin stratagy (quality control, reasonable pricing, prodigious use of local resources, etc).
    Don

17. LOSTVENTURE

In responce to: If the guitar has a coil tap option, the pickups aren't P90's".
    What are they?
    Is Gibson lying to us?
    Incidentally, I discovered P-90s in the early '50s, I know what the real ones sound like and the Trad's pick-ups sound just like P-90s to me. That's why I have to ask where you got your information from.
    I'll admit that when I first saw the guitar, with those little advertising collars on the volume controls that said "Pull for coil tap", I didn't think they could be p-90s either. Plugging it into a Twin Reverb told me that they were indeed the real thing, P-90s that is. Live and learn I guess.
    Don

18. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Can someone post a link to the actual Gibson that the OP is taking about ? The coil tap on the P90s sounds like the H90s I have on my Classic Antique LP - here's Greg playing one just like my LP... You'll note the coil tap in on the tone pots.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They most definitely are P-90's in this guitar. Same as they ever were. They just have a coil tap option now. And yes, you can totally coil tap a true single coil pickup. Many folks over the years have come to confuse tapping a coil with splitting a humbucker. They are not the same thing.

FWIW, I have experience with both the Epi and Gibby P-90's. I have had many folks say they like the Epis better, and to each his own. I won't say one is better than the other, I will say they sound totally different. Not really similar to my ears at all. I'm not surprised when I hear somebody who is used to the Epis say they don't like Gibby P-90's the first time they try them. If your only P-90 experience is the Epi, then you haven't actually heard what a P-90 is supposed to sound like, and may not like the real thing.

Consider humbuckers for a moment- For a player who is used to nothing but super high output pickups, a good PAF will not produce what he considers to be a standard humbucker tone. For a guy who has played and loved PAF style pickups his whole life, an EMG 81 is gonna sound like dog doo. Are they both well made hummys? Yep. Do they sound the same? Nope.:D

20. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

They might be tapping part of the coil, making it a single coil with the ability to use some, or all of the pickup (that just now occurred to me) which would make my previous post wrong! :oops: (I should've learned more about the guitar before posting)

I was thinking it had to be a stacked design. If it is then my post would be correct.

The OP might be able to upgrade the pots/wiring and get the tone he's after.

I am curious as to the design of the pickups, though.

Thanks for questioning my previous post, Don.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.