1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! Gibson J-30

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Saxonbowman, Sep 27, 2020.

1. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Believe me, if it is Fullerplast it has sunk into the wood. Think of it as a substitute for grain filler. What it does though is allow for the nitro to be shot on very thin. But the point is the finish has absolutely no impact on sound. A J30 is basically a Hummingbird minus the bling. And added to that is the cool factor of owning a guitar that being built before 1990 is one most people would count themselves lucky to ever run across.

Saxonbowman and JamesAM like this.
  2. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Sorry to take this off topic a bit, but did they actually fill the grain on hog j45s (or in OP’s case a beautiful J30) that were finished in fullerplast? Or did they just shoot the fullerplast without filling and spray nitro on top? I’m wondering because I didn’t realize that fullerplast could be used to fill open grain wood like mahogany. That’s kind of cool, and I’m wondering if it has an impact on the feel of the back and sides (even if it doesn’t have an impact on sound)

Saxonbowman likes this.
  3. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

For what it’s worth here’s closeups of a couple of the dings.

3AB7DE1B-A02C-41E9-8BB6-1E8117BFDCDE.jpeg 938E4C0C-84FA-4805-9DD5-3B563AD676D4.jpeg

Hard to see from the pics but there looks like some filler in the grain. The finish seems to lay on top of the wood.

BTW what is special about pre 1990 Gibsons? This seems to have been built in November of 89.

JamesAM likes this.
  4. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Well, if you can feel the grain in the dings, it’s likely not filled- shouldn’t really matter though. I only ask because I know what a giant pain it is to grain fill open wood like mahogany, so it’s pretty cool they came up with an effective solution like fullerplast.

and I believe pre-1990 acoustics were still made in Kalamazoo, which I personally think is pretty rad from a historical perspective. I’m not sure exactly what month guitar manufacturing was shifted from kalamazoo to Flatiron Bozeman in 1989, unfortunately, so hopefully somebody with a better knowledge of Gibson history can set me straight on that.

5. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

This one says Bozeman on the sticker in the soundhole. It actually feels smooth in the dings but it’s a small area so it’s hard to tell.

JamesAM likes this.
  6. Dougallyyz

Dougallyyz NEW MEMBER!

man! I made this account to post that I literally went up to AG to buy this exact guitar today not knowing it was sold. I showed up before they were open and was going to come back, then ran across this thread randomly. I knew this was the guitar the second I saw the dings on it. Really bummed right now but glad it has a good home!

Congrats on the buy!

elihu and Saxonbowman like this.
  7. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Sorry man! As I said I went in to look at a different one but that was sold. Once he brought out this one and I tried it there wasn’t much doubt. I hope you find what you want soon!

8. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

The Kalamazoo plant was fully shuttered in 1985 when the repair shop and acoustic production were finally transferred to Nashville. Gibson acquired the Flatiron Mandolin Company in Montana in 1987. Flattops, however, continued to be built in Nashville on a very small scale into early-1989 when all production was shifted to Bozeman. I would guess that the last three digits in the serial number on the OPs Factory-built J-30 are between 001 and 299.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    JamesAM and Saxonbowman like this.
  9. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Ahh thanks for the fact check and keeping me honest!! Awesome stuff! Love guitar history stuff like this.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Saxonbowman likes this.
  10. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Yes the serial number is in that range. I wondered what happened to Flatiron. I got to try one of their mandolins once. Awesome instrument!

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, enjoy it!

Saxonbowman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.