1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! Gibson J-30

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Saxonbowman, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

So I mostly play electric, trying to learn jazz. For some reason, mainly because I don’t have one, I got the bug for a half decent acoustic. I went to my local store thinking to try an Alvarez they had in stock. As luck would have it that one was gone but with more on the way. I decided to try the other new instruments but they weren’t solid wood and the tone was lacking to my ears. The store owner then brought out a 1989 Gibson J-30 which was priced just a bit more than that Alvarez. Despite old strings (annoying to be sure) it had what the others lacked. He also let me try a 1950 J-50. Yeah that one was better but not proportional to the cost difference. My wife, who I dragged along, gave me the nod so it came home with me.

7FBBA19F-0DA1-4A6C-BFAA-571B62C7054B.jpeg

It has a few battle scars but sounds and plays great!

5AD9C337-6AFA-43D5-99F5-2E0B85CD8CA5.jpeg D4232AE4-C562-42A1-A2D7-982CBE50D758.jpeg

A question about the dings. Is that a poly finish on this? It could be judging by the way the paint flakes when damaged. Is it advisable to touch up the defects? I’m thinking that maybe I could use something different like a shellac based paint that could be removed later without damaging the rest of the finish. Any thoughts?

rze99, Tele Jr, richiek65 and 18 others like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar, battle scars and all. Congratulations.

GGardner and Saxonbowman like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It should be a nitro finish, just has lots of plasticizers

Sweet guitar

Saxonbowman likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Awesome
    Seriously.

Saxonbowman likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'd have bought that in a second. And if it were mine, I'd just leave the dings. Just some character. Congratulations!

6. janglemore

janglemore TDPRI Member

The dings give it character. And you don’t have to worry about adding additional dings in the future. Bet it sounds awesome. Enjoy!

richiek65, GGardner and Saxonbowman like this.
  7. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Sorry, I don't have any helpful answers on the finish. That was a smart purchase, that's a beautiful guitar you have. I agree with other posters, those dings give it some great character!! Put some new strings on and I bet it sounds amazing.

8. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like that, congratulations!

Saxonbowman likes this.
  9. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Thanks everybody! Yes, I’m inclined to leave the dings alone for now. Actual NGD was yesterday. New strings are on now and I’ve been playing it every moment I have free today. I’m finding that playing acoustically sure sharpens your technique or at least exposes mistakes.

10. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beauty.

Saxonbowman likes this.
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar !!!

And if you happen to put a few more dings in it, nobody will notice...

Saxonbowman likes this.
  12. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

A 1989 guitar would have been one of the first built in Bozeman. To answer your question the guitar will have a Fullerplast finish. Fullerplast is a clear chemical sealer which prevents any subsequent nitro coats from sinking into the wood. As Fullperplast finishes are virtually impossible to repair properly you might just leave it be. Gibson discontinued the use of Fullerplast sometime in late-1990 or thereabouts. The guitar should also have a paddle neck joint which depending on who you ask is either a major pain to repair if it needs it or no trouble at all. They was also discontinued around 1991.

Saxonbowman and GGardner like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A sunburst J-30 is a guitar I’d snatch up in a heartbeat, and I say that after owning a bunch of Gibsons over the years. It’s a great model. I’d not touch the dings, just enjoy it.

Saxonbowman and GGardner like this.
  14. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Gibsons built in 1989 are actually not easy to find and a unique part of their history. Bozeman was just getting on its feet and would not hits its stride until the early-1990s after they had retooled and brought the likes of Jim Triggs, Kevin Kopp and John Walker into the Custom Shop.

By the way, if you play older Fender electrics you will be familiar with Fullerplast finishes. Fender started shooting them around 1963 as a cost cutting feature. With Bozeman, if I recall correctly, it was what the Flatiron shop (which Gibson had taken over as part of a merger/buyout) had been set up to shoot.

Saxonbowman and JamesAM like this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats on a fine guitar.

Saxonbowman likes this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

That's really a gorgeous acoustic, and the dings just give it character. Enjoy it!

Saxonbowman likes this.
  17. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I am partial to Gibsons. I have nothing against Martins, they sound great. I've just always preferred the Gibson sound. I also generally like the necks of Gibsons. I've not seen many J-30s. Square shoulder sunburst is the primo look for me. Well done on your purchase.

Saxonbowman likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats! May it serve you well.

Saxonbowman likes this.
  19. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Thanks for the history! It doesn’t look like any finish sunk into that wood. Some of the dings are clean underneath. I will probably never touch those dings. They don’t bother me. I never heard of a paddle neck joint. Fortunately everything is structurally solid right now.

20. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Nice geetar! As for dings, wear, etc., my old Martin is gloriously worn from over 80 years of making music. The only repair done to the finish was the application of "French laquer" to through-the-finish wear around the pickguard and sound hole before I got it 47 years ago. Other wear was present on the guitar when I got it. I've babied it over the years, but it has acquired a bit more mojo- just more of it to love! Love your guitar's battle scars- they're part of its story.

spurgie79 and Saxonbowman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.