NGD - Gibson Golden Axe (Bill Kelliher Explorer)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jimmyv723, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Wasn't planning on getting anything else for a while but then this popped up and I had to jump on it. i had a 76 reissue Explorer in the early 2000's but it was one of the many guitars I've had to sell through the years. I have been thinking of getting another one at some point but really wanted something a little different than the average Explorer.

That is exactly what the Bill Kelliher (Mastodon guitarist) Golden Axe Explorer is and it really checked all the boxes I was looking for in an Explorer. First it has a really cool finish in a Goldburst which just looks amazing. Other unique touches are the body and neck binding and the trapezoid inlays instead of the usual dots. It also has a unique control layout with a single volume and tone and the toggle switch in place of the third pot. The V/T knobs are also push/pull for coil splitting the Lace Sensor Nitro Hemi pickups.

Just opened it up and took it for a spin and thin thing is insane. It was a touring guitar for the previous owner so it has some battle scars but those don't bother me and they're the reason I was able to get this killer Axe for such a killer deal. Definitely stoked to have an Explorer in the collection again and especially such a cool and unique one as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stubee, shupe13, yellowv and 9 others like this.
  2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Very nice. Love that gold hardware. Congrats!

jimmyv723 likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Cool, that one will be a lot of fun !! Congrats

jimmyv723 likes this.
  4. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Oh man!!! I had one of these!! Had to drive a looong way to get it too!! It’s one I still miss!!! Congrats!

jimmyv723 likes this.
  5. GreenMagicMan

GreenMagicMan Tele-Meister

Awesome. The fretboard inlays are really cool on that.

jimmyv723 likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rockin’!

jimmyv723 likes this.
  7. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys and yeah this thing is an absolute blast to play and feels and sounds incredible.

8. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

That's an awesome looking rock machine. Congratulations!

GDR

jimmyv723 likes this.
  9. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Thanks and yeah it's a real looker. I'm glad it already has battle scars too so I don't need to worry about putting any dings in myself. That first one always sucks haha.

10. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Wow, officially jealous! Awesome guitar that I’ve been looking for myself for a while already but have never been able to grab one (yet).

I’m off to see Mastodon play tonight actually. Awesome band, great guitarist and a beautiful signature guitar! Congrats, make sure to hold on to it!

jimmyv723 likes this.
  11. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Yeah I remember when it was released really wanting to get one but brushed that aside thinking I could never afford one since I have a self-imposed $1000 per guitar max. Same with the Lzzy Hale Explorers but always liked the binding and trap inlays on those and this.

Thankfully I saw this bad boy pop up slightly over my limit so quickly made an offer that was fairly countered and I jumped on it. Right under my limit and including shipping so was pretty stoked with that.

Been playing it a lot since I got it and it's just a killer axe. Bill did a great job putting this together. Not usually a fan of sig guitars but every now and then they check all the boxes of something I myself would design and this along with the PRS SE Zach Myers are the two sig models I have. Well, then the Les Pauls I have as well haha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.