NGD Gibson 2018 SG Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grolan1, Mar 12, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I suspect, as you do, that the "mini humbuckers" in your SG aren't the classic AlNiCo II minis that Gibson sells separately. I've summoned all the dark powers of the Internet and can find no tech spec for yours other than "mini humbuckers." My unsubstantiated guess is that they're closer to the hot ceramic pickups that Gibson insists on putting in otherwise-proper Firebirds.

grolan1 likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice! I wound up with a 2019 SG Tribute - found one locally I just fell in love with instead of ordering one of the 2018 blowouts - but it came with the same soft case and all those accessories. It's a nice package that you get with these Gibson - I also have a Fender American Performer Mustang and it came in a very flimsy nylon gig bag (it now resides in a Roadrunner tweed case).

grolan1 likes this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks really nice. Mini humbuckers are so plucky and quiet. Nice!

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Wow! That is just beautiful! I love my SG. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with yours. Congratulations!

grolan1 likes this.
  5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Can you tell us about the sound? What are your thoughts on those mini-humbuckers?

So you too have a 24 fret guitar. I do too, but wish it was only 22 because it squishes frets closer together higher up, and really, does anyone play up to 22 anyways? I don't really understand that.

Looks great!

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Waiting for mine to come on Thursday.

That one looks great!

Greggorios and grolan1 like this.
  7. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I agree about the case - just bought a MIM Jazzmaster and it came with a nice Fender hardshell case. I didn't mind paying a bit more for a good case. Those flimsy cases are worthless.
    As studio1087 said - plucky and quiet! Closer to a single coil than a normal humbucker with more highs.

8. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I got a 2011 faded special with P90's a couple of weeks back, and it's all I've been playing.

9. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

I should I have called out something cool about the case candy.... even a photo at Gibson with the guitar on the checkout bench... very nice touch.

20190312_170144b.jpg

10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great eye man! That's what I call a real auto enthusiast!

grolan1 likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice guitar. Always liked the SG Specials and to get it on a deal is just icing on the cake. Play 'er till you drop!

grolan1 likes this.
  12. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

wow, she is a keeper. how are the minis? that case is ultra cool too.

grolan1 likes this.
  13. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Actually really like the mini's... really do! They aren't as dark and heavy as a full humbucker but still have more punch than a single coil.

gitarjoe likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

that sounds great. The only mini HBs I've had so far was a set of lollars in a collings 360. On the bridge, you could push them and make them sound like a humbucker, but they weren't overly dark, and on the neck, they were a blues machine. Not dark and overly fat, just really tubey bluesy.

Hope the gibson versions sound like that.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Mine came today. Pretty good overall. Weird neck feel just like the LP faded, and I figured out what it is on this one. The neck is rounded contour but flat and wide feeling (not like a wizard type, just gradual rounding the whole way), but it feels like the fingerboard is glued on after the fact and straight up and down, which makes for a strange corner.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this yet, or just sell it on reverb at some point (after the sale is over) and maybe get a different SG pattern guitar like a dearmond. It would be useful to have around to copy, but rounding over the bottom edge of the fingerboard will mean scraping the finish off of the whole neck.

(Sorry for the grungy look and low light, it's in my basement next to a telecaster that I'm going to finish this weekend). Very light - 5 lb and 12 oz, the light weight is really pleasant, you can just whip it around. )

I do have the same problem that some of the reviews online had. I think the guitar is so thin that the jack is against the back cover and when you move around you can get some clicking and popping.

I'd be really unhappy with it at regular price. Nothing majorly wrong with it, but nothing wow. at $550, it seems fair (it does look great in the picture, though, and the neck is straight and frets well polished. They're not finished on the ends, but who cares at the price- it's just cosmetic and they're not the least bit uncomfortable.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.