NGD: G&L Tribute ASAT Special

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
I’ve been wanting something a little different so on a whim I bought a Tribute ASAT Special from Sweetwater. I’ve played some US G&Ls that were really great but I didn’t want to spend that much being how I have a son in college. Not expecting much, (and knowing I can return it if it’s not very good) I pulled it out of the box and I must say, I’m very surprised and very happy. The neck profile is perfect and there was no fret sprout. After some adjustments the pickups sound great. They are definitely their own thing but you can get classic-ish tele sounds too. And, at 7.5 pounds it’s very comfortable. This Tribute feels and sounds better than most new Fenders I’ve played lately.

Anyway, here is the require photo.

Attachments

• EE3D99A0-F9C4-455D-B75A-B648FCBECABD.jpeg
    EE3D99A0-F9C4-455D-B75A-B648FCBECABD.jpeg
    542.7 KB · Views: 166

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice. I've had two G&L Tributes (Bluesboy and an L2500 bass) and I'd say they were both equivalent to a Fender Player as far as build and component quality. Congrats!

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
Nice. I've had two G&L Tributes (Bluesboy and an L2500 bass) and I'd say they were both equivalent to a Fender Player as far as build and component quality. Congrats!
I’ve play some Tributes that were just awful. That’s why I wasn’t expecting much. Maybe I got lucky but this thing is really nice. I had an American Professional II tele for a while and this thing is pretty darn close in fit and finish, and if I might say so, it sounds way better.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I gassed after one of those for a long time. They look great.

I have a tribute. The build quality is fantastic. Fret edges are a little too rolled for my liking, and I changed the humbuckers for P90s. But it's a great guitar - the neck is outstanding for a mid-price guitar.

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
HNGD. I’m very tempted by the ASAT special - I’m very curious about the pickups.
So was I. They’re brighter than I thought they would be but not in a harsh, ice pick way. I’ve found that if you drop the pick ups down and roll the tone down a bit it sounds like a tele. The neck pickup is not muddy at all like a lot of tele pickups are. It really is its own thing though. I have not tried it with drive, only cleanish tones.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Congtraz on the new guitar!!!!
But I can't help it everytime I see Asat....my dyslexia kicks in and I see asshat.....sorry.....

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the Tribute ASAT, glad you're enjoying it.
I bought a Bluesboy which I like except for the neck finish. Felt like an unfinished neck when I got it. Rubbing on Tru-oil on the removed neck now. Much better feeling.
Hope yours has a good neck.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve been wanting something a little different so on a whim I bought a Tribute ASAT Special from Sweetwater. I’ve played some US G&Ls that were really great but I didn’t want to spend that much being how I have a son in college. Not expecting much, (and knowing I can return it if it’s not very good) I pulled it out of the box and I must say, I’m very surprised and very happy. The neck profile is perfect and there was no fret sprout. After some adjustments the pickups sound great. They are definitely their own thing but you can get classic-ish tele sounds too. And, at 7.5 pounds it’s very comfortable. This Tribute feels and sounds better than most new Fenders I’ve played lately.

Anyway, here is the require photo.

Awesome, congrats! Always a cool color combo with black-tort-maple!

Arfage

Tele-Meister
I’ve play some Tributes that were just awful. That’s why I wasn’t expecting much. Maybe I got lucky but this thing is really nice. I had an American Professional II tele for a while and this thing is pretty darn close in fit and finish, and if I might say so, it sounds way better.
I've had a U.S. G&L strat and my Bass player has a G&L ASAT Classic and S-500 and they are all three perfect guitars. The older ones with the Tribute brand name decal weren't too swift. Often extremely heavy but the Indonesian ones seem 100 times better. I'd use one on a gig without a second thought.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
So was I. They’re brighter than I thought they would be but not in a harsh, ice pick way. I’ve found that if you drop the pick ups down and roll the tone down a bit it sounds like a tele. The neck pickup is not muddy at all like a lot of tele pickups are. It really is its own thing though. I have not tried it with drive, only cleanish tones.
On my Fullerton ASAT Special I like the set the bridge pickup a little higher than the neck. I feel I get an even more Tele-inspired tone this way because the bridge sound starts to edge into the pokiness enough to add bite to drive or twang to cleans while the neck tone remains mellower (for MFDs anyhow). This also improves the middle position to my mind because the pickups are more dissimilar.

The Jumbo MFDs are still their own thing, but set up like mine is it is certainly Tele-adjacent. I would call mine my angriest T-type.