1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - G&L Legacy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Luke1026, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

Awesome guitar. I’m anxiously awaiting the FedEx guy to deliver my new Legacy HB!!

2. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Looks real good. Hope you get the nut stuff squared aways. Seems like it would be worth it to getting it straightened out. I don't really know for sure but I think the quality is better on these than possibly some squiers. In some ways. Although the Squiers are really good now a days too. But the bridge is thicker, and I think the electronics might have an edge. Possibly?

3. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all your kind replies.

The previous owner put new flatwound 10's on it recently, it's my first experience with them - they do feel thick and difficult to bend.

As some have suggested, I will have a luthier check out the nut. If I'm not mistaken when a string gives that "sitar sound" it's often due to a nut slot that's just a bit too wide?

After tasking a close-up shot or two, it's become obvious the nut-job was not done very well. Here's a couple pics,
    20210304_225047.jpg 20210304_225056.jpg

With regard to build quality, I've had 2 EJ's (still have one), I have a CS EC, a CS JB, a 2019 Strat Pro, and a Duesenberg Double Cat among other guitars, and I have to say this new Legacy is better than some of those I've listed and near as good as the best of them (the nut problem excepted). In many ways, it feels like a more substantial guitar, it just feels tighter somehow.

One unexpected feature is the height of the neck and bridge relative to the body. The distance is considerably greater than a conventional Strat and I think it not only has an effect on its sound, but it makes finger-picking much easier and more comfortable as none of the pickups interfere in any way.
    Have a look,
    20210305_153730.jpg

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Nice!
    I had an opportunity to buy an older model sunburst 3-neck-screw G&L Legacy back around 1997.
    No idea what year the guitar was.
    I was living in Tallahassee at the time and actually looking for a Strat, but I only wanted a Fender.
    Local music store had it used for $350. I didn’t know anything about G&L at the time.
    Nowadays I know better.

5. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar!! I couldn't reach a USA at the moment so got a tribute S-500. I believe that guitar will serve you well. The nut is an easy fix for a good tech. Congrats!!

6. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thanks! The S-500 is equally as good - some say better. Tributes are also very well made.

The main differences between the two (S-500 & Legacy) being the pickups (MFD vs Alnico), a toggle switch, and neck radius. The one I got seems to have been a special order with a number of S-500 appointments. For example, the S-500's typically have Swamp Ash bodies (as does mine), they have soft-rolled fretboard edges and 12" radius instead of 9" (as does mine). So it's kind of a hybrid I suppose.

Regarding the nut, I will have to find a qualified local tech or Luthier as I don't want to tackle this job myself. Any consensus on bone material? I don't want to open up a can of worms here, just want a few opinions. Bone or TUSQ?

7. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you could go wrong with either bone or Tusq.

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

:cool: ~ Congratulations !

9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is purdy! It looks like all of your strings are sitting well into the nut, never preferable in my opinion.

10. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your responses.

Not only are all the strings sitting deep in the nut, but a few of the slots are also too wide like the G-string nut slot which buzzes a lot.

I can't wait to get it replaced!

playforfun likes this.
  11. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I just realized something, the body is a single piece of Swamp Ash. I didn't notice that until just now.

G&L Legacy Full Back - 1.jpg

playforfun likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.