1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - G&L Legacy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Luke1026, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Just picked it up a couple of hours ago!

Got a super deal on it so I couldn't pass it by. G&L Registry Admin. provided the following info: Birdseye Maple neck with Polished Gloss finish over Hand-rubbed Gun-oil Tint, Ebony Fretboard, Sperzel Locking tuners.

Apparently, it's completely original with the original case as well. I haven't had a chance to remove the neck so I don't what the build date is except that it falls somewhere between 1998 - 2010.

I plugged it in briefly and it sounds very Strat-like in all positions. The 12" radius fretboard feels really good - the playability is top-notch.

G&L Legacy Front - 1.jpg G&L Legacy Full Back - 1.jpg G&L Legacy Front - 2.jpg G&L Legacy Headstock.jpg G&L Legacy Back Neck - 1.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful, congratulations!

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous neck. Enjoy.

4. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thanks! It's my first guitar with a bird's eye maple neck.

5. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

In 2011 I was deciding on options for my special order ASAT Classic. I wasn't sure which neck profile I wanted. Store had a Legacy with the 12" radius so I played it quite a bit before ordering my guitar. Even though I'm not really a Strat guy, I thought the Legacy nailed all the Strat sounds.
    I went for the Classic C neck with the 12" radius and an ebony board. I've been playing G&L since the '80s when they first came out. Great guitars.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I picked up my first G&L just 2 months ago when I traded for an ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow, the neck on it was really nice as well. The Legacy has quite a fat neck which I've really come to appreciate lately.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Do you know which neck it is? Did it come with a spec sheet? You can contact the factory and usually find the specs by serial number.

8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Congrats!. these are great. Had a couple. The term stays in tune almost always. The PTB system is cool and a greta way to find your way in any mix. I used to play Gibsons and I liked these because a lot had 12" radii/radius, ....whatever.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitar. I love G&L. That's one is sweet.

10. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

It didn't come with any papers. The previous owner didn't get any when he bought it about 6 years ago. The G&L Registry at guitarsbyleo.com only had this info based on the serial number: "Birdseye Maple neck with Polished Gloss finish over Hand-rubbed Gun-oil Tint, Sperzel Locking tuners."

It's a pretty fat neck though with a 12" radius and it feels really good.
    I had wired up the PTB in one of my Strats a few months ago and liked it a lot. It seems to sound even better on the Legacy.
    Thanks Cali Dude. When I first saw it listed I thought it looked more vintage than some vintage Fenders - except for the headstock! EDIT: and the Trem Bridge!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Cali Dude and CV Jee Beez like this.
  11. Colin1230

Colin1230 TDPRI Member

Squirt, squirt, squirt!

12. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What a lovely looking neck!
    Congrats

13. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thanks! But I just noticed two things I didn't catch before.

The G string is doing the "sitar thing" and it's definitely the nut. The other problem is the nut looks like it's been replaced and was not shaped very well. The top was not filed down properly so the strings sit very deep. In fact, the top of the nut looks like it had been contoured to match the height of each string making it taller on the low E and lower in the other one.

I'm wondering if it's salvageable - I would rather try to work it than replace it.

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Very, very nice. Sorry to read you are having issues though.

15. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Congrats on a fine looking guitar!

Your post about the nut - that's a simple thing that a luthier can fix for you, they will either refile or replace the nut entirely.

Unless the pics exaggerated things --- those are extremely thick strings! You may want to try putting a thinner set on the guitar to see if the nut issue goes away.

16. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that is one sexy looking guitar! The Birdseye is beautiful.
    HNGD!

17. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I just restrung mine last night and was reminded what a great axe it is. Congratulations!

18. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lovely looking neck - and probably lovely feeling too, I bet. Congrats!

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very nice! I’ve never owned a G&L, but I almost bought a Cherry Burst Legacy in 2004. I had been searching for a guitar that really spoke to me after putting guitar aside for almost 10 years. I searched for 3 or 4 months and came across this beauty that was nearly everything I wanted. I put down a down payment with the intent to pick it up the next day. Then I stopped at another shop and tried a Fender Lite Ash Strat that I had over looked because I was not a fan at all of the natural work finish. But it felt perfect in every way - I still have it and it still the closest to stock of any of my guitars. Now I have the matching Tele too!

Congrats and enjoy that beautiful guitar.

20. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

Looks cool... Have fun

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.