NGD! G&L ASAT Special - Emerald Blue Metallic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jondanger, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like that rib/belly cut on back.

Mine (Tribute) does not include that feature.
    Or the color match headstock.
    HUGD
    Peace - Deeve
    2019-01-20 15.38.11.jpg

2. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

But you are right Alan. These days they are so hard to get hold of one. It took me some time to find my one. I've had her from the first day that it entered the country. I'm seriously thinking of cloning her. I can buy the pickups and bridge from G&L, so lets see.....:twisted:

3. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

4. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

Ok, if we're doing pictures. Here's my old, arthritic, but so wonderful 94 Asat Special. DSC_0673.JPG

jondanger likes this.
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

\\

Until 2018 G&L technically built almost all of their guitars to a "custom spec" - so either a customer would spec the guitar or the dealer would spec it for their stock.

I say "almost" because they did have the "Fullerton Standard" models where they offer no options but color/pickguard combination that they build in small batches, and they would occasionally build in batches as a special deal or for Guitar Center. For 2018 they have also added a "Fullerton Deluxe" series - again set specs but there are more color/fingerboard/pickguard options. But you can still spec one out completely if you order, called the "Option Order" series (plus some models only exist in this "Option Order" series).

To make things more confusing G&L started a "true" "Custom Shop" for 2018 - they moved a couple of neck shapes from "Option Order" to "Custom Shop" and added things like better maple tops and nitro finishes to the "Custom Shop". And of course there is another series called "CLF Research" that is reserved for reissues of Leo-era models.

At any rate G&L offers both the back contour and a front contour as options on ASAT models (with some limitations - like you can't get a front contour on a semi-hollow or on the ASAT Deluxe with top binding) when you're specking one our yourself.

jondanger and Lefty Addams like this.
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Whoo Weee :cool: … Congratulations !

7. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

That is one beautiful ASAT.

8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

very lovely, great score mate!

9. Lefty Addams

Have to say John, the colours on the Fullerton Deluxe are kind of limiting, but as you say there is always the custom shop now.

jondanger likes this.
  10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Sweet. There's one like that but darker not far from me, been on CL for awhile. I am so damn tempted.

jondanger likes this.
  11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Is that the one that is listed for like $750 with a black guard and black hardware?

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

mad dog likes this.
  13. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

No jon. Exeter PA. More than you paid. I checked again. The pics are dark, but it's the same color as yours. There's another one, blue sparkle, just went up nearby in Fair Lawn NJ for 950.

jondanger likes this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lefty - you don't have to go "full Custom Shop" to get options - they still have the "Made In Fullerton Option Order" series available if the "Fullerton Deluxe" series doesn't do what you want. The only thing that you can't get on the "Made In Fullerton Option Order" are the V and U neck shapes - those shapes got moved to "Custom Shop" only for 2018. You can still add a maple top under the "Option Order" also - but they are holding that "Private Stock" (to borrow a PRS term) flame and quilt tops for the "Custom Shop".

Lefty Addams likes this.
  15. Lefty Addams

There's a Fullerton Standard ASAT classic in this colour - Emerald Blue metallic - at a store over here in UK, FYI anyone.

16. bladeswitcher

bladeswitcher TDPRI Member

Wow. Music Go Round sold it for $1,200 and GC sold it for $800. I wonder how badly the guy who bought it from MGR took it in the shorts when he traded it into GC. Would suck to be that guy . . .

17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Beautiful!

18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

I had a Tribute ASAT Special (Brown Sunburst) many years ago. I loved the pickups and bridge setup, and how it felt in my hands; but I was young and naive, and "headstock envy" got the better of me, so I sold it and bought a Fender Tele.

With G&L guitars, parts and cases can be a struggle, but musically speaking, the ASAT Special is a tone monster!

Nickadermis likes this.
  19. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

If I ever buy instead of build another Tele, it’s going to be the Asat special. You mention the bridge and I have to say that I liked the bridge too !

20. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Beautiful axe! I love a nice sparkly axe, and that one sure delivers!!!!

I've got a tribute special, and those pick ups are fantastic. Really great tight low end, lovely sparkle, full sounding... they really shine with low overdrive and full on crunch.

The saddle lock bridge is extremely well designed too.

jondanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.