NGD: G&L ASAT Deluxe

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
It's a 2005 solid body, in redburst. Nice looking quilted maple top, Birdseye maple neck w/rosewood fretboard, wood binding, belly cut, and completely stock. Virtually no fretwear. Has their older #1 neck w/12" radius. The neck feel and profile feels the same as my trusty 1994 Legacy, which is the standard by which I judge all other guitar necks. Fit and finish/craftsmanship is impeccable. Did "my" setup on it. I did have to reset the neck to equalize the E to E string spacing on the fretboard.

I was worried I'd not love the pickups(Seymour Duncan JB bridge, 59 neck). I have never loved the JB, and prefer the Jazz over the 59 for neck buckers. But in thus guitar, I love them! I think it has to do with the 250k pots.with the JB. Ive only heard the JB w/500k pots, and it was always too hot, too midrange honky. Not this one. Thick is the word. Splits WELL with the mini toggle. The 59 sounds as I expected, but is somehow less bass heavy than others I've had. Kinda weak when split, but as expected.The middle position has that spank good HH guitars have. It LOVES my Glaswerks Zingaro 50 amp.

The Saddle lock bridge intonation well. I was worried, being a toploader, that it wouldn't have the string tension I need but it did. 8.3lbs is a good weight. Honestly I'm super happy with the guitar. The only thing I don't love is the vintage style split shaft tuning keys. I'll probably replace them, just never loved that type tuner. Happy day!
20220118_200745.jpg
20220118_200811.jpg

mjvicc

TDPRI Member
I have four variations of the G&L ASAT Tele's and love 'em all! Leo hit it out of the park with his first "Broadcaster"!
The wood, components, hardware, pickups, workmanship and overall quality control at G&L is outstanding. I'm sure
you'll be very pleased. If it sounds as good as it looks you've got a WINNER!!

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
This is G&L #4 for me. My longtime #1 is a 1994 USA Legacy I've owned for decades. Best strat ever! I have two Tribute ASATs that I've gutted and rewired with high end stuff: an ASAT Classic with Fralin Blues Specials and a 4 way switch and an ASAT Junior II with Wolfetone P90s. This new one scratches the humbucker itch.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
3 week report:

I friggin' LOVE it! I've been busy and it took me a few days to get everything on the set up perfect. I'm liking every thing about it(but the split shaft tuners which I'll eventually replace). Despite the 250k pots, neither pickup is dull. The coil tap tones are surprisingly good. Ive been hitting a boost pedal with them, since the volume/output does drop, especially on the neck pu.

Looks great, sounds great, plays great, works for most any type of music. Wish id had pulled the trigger sooner!

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats again. FWIW I have never had an issue with G&L split shaft tuners so unless its a stylistic decision there is no need to replace them.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This is G&L #4 for me. My longtime #1 is a 1994 USA Legacy I've owned for decades. Best strat ever! I have two Tribute ASATs that I've gutted and rewired with high end stuff: an ASAT Classic with Fralin Blues Specials and a 4 way switch and an ASAT Junior II with Wolfetone P90s. This new one scratches the humbucker itch.
Yes, that's all well and good, but you don't have any jumbo MFD pick-ups! More shopping to do, for a good ASAT Special!:D

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
I had an ASAT Special Tribute once. Loved the neck pickup. I'd be interested in a USA ASAT Special semi hollow if I could find one with a 12' radius neck. Maybe my future next guitar, because there's always a next guitar!

John C

Friend of Leo's
I had an ASAT Special Tribute once. Loved the neck pickup. I'd be interested in a USA ASAT Special semi hollow if I could find one with a 12' radius neck. Maybe my future next guitar, because there's always a next guitar!

Look for one made prior to 2015; in roughly mid-2015 G&L changed their "default" neck shape from what they now call the "Classic C" shape (1 5/8" nut width, 12" radius, .830" at the first fret, .960" at the 12th fret) to the "Modern Classic" shape (1 11/16" nut width, 9.5" radius, .820" at the first fret, .870" at the 12th fret). Of course G&L has offered multiple neck shapes going back at least to the early 1990s, but they always have a shape that is the "default" unless you specify one of the other neck shapes.

That "Classic C" was the default neck from about 2005 until mid-2015; I think they just called it the "#1" neck back then. Prior to 2005 the default neck on the ASAT models except the ASAT Deluxe (and any ASAT with a Bigsby) had the 7.5" radius and would be more like what they currently call the "Slim C" in terms of depth, but they didn't specify depths until they switched to using a CNC router for the necks in 2005.

In G&L's current lineup almost all the "Fullerton Deluxe" models only come with the Modern Classic neck shape ("Fullerton Deluxe" Fallout models come with the "Slim C" shape - 1 5/8" nut width, 12" radius but the .820" first fret/.870" 12th fret dimensions); if you want one of their other neck shapes you have to go through their "Option Order" level. If you want a U or V shaped neck you have to go with their Custom Shop. And for completeness the "CLF Research" models also only come with the Modern Classic neck.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
Yep. Im COMPLETELY partial to the older #1 neck. Most of the older ASATs I've come across used have that 7.5" radius, and I can't deal with it. I'll get one eventually, but for now I'm thrilled with the ASAT Deluxe(which has the #1 neck, with a great Birdseye pattern to boot!)

TheOtherNeill

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Yep. Im COMPLETELY partial to the older #1 neck. Most of the older ASATs I've come across used have that 7.5" radius, and I can't deal with it. I'll get one eventually, but for now I'm thrilled with the ASAT Deluxe(which has the #1 neck, with a great Birdseye pattern to boot!)
Gorgeous! Also, the bridge on your Deluxe (and the Special) is a great design. I’ve been really curious about Fullerton-made Deluxes: how do you like the pickups?