NGD: FSR Two-Tone Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chikubi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Ooh, yes I like that!!

Chikubi likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That's nice one; congrats!

I'm not sure either of them had this one - it's a limited run that I've seen at several mom & pop dealers online. If Sweetwater had any of them they quickly sold out. I've seen them on Willcutt's site (they have 4; all Fiesta Red) and Wildwood's site (they have 6 - 2 of each color).

That Cal Webway and Chikubi like this.
  3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanx Jon!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Chikubi likes this.
  5. Crooner

Crooner TDPRI Member

Hi Chikubi.
    I ,too, just recent bought the same guitar, same color. I've always loved Thinline Teles and I loved the color. When I received it, it sounded great but I hated the light strings and the super high action action and so forth.
    I popped on a set of 10.5's and set the action and intonation. The problem is that now all notes above the 12th fret buzz and any bended note completely frets out.

I tried straightening the neck and then adding some relief, but nothing fixed the issue. I don't know If I got a bad neck or if I have to bring it to a luthier for a full fret leveling and dressing.
    I've contacted the dealer and we're trying to work out a solution.

How's the neck and playability on yours?

One thing I've thought of is simply ordering a new neck with a fatter V profile and a 12" radius.

If you could let me know how yours is I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

6. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Hi! So sorry for not seeing your post any sooner, I've been pretty lax about coming here lately. Are you still having issues with yours? To answer you questions, I've not had any issues at all, but from the sound of it our playing preferences are probably fairly different. I'm not sure how high the action was on yours, but I play mine set to the Fender default factory specs and find it easy and comfortable. I did go to 9.5s over the stock strings, but that's because of the taller frets and my tendency to have a sorta heavy left hand. I was the same with my old American Pro as well, so just copied everything over, so to speak.

7. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve changed my mind about what my first build will be. Two-tone painted plywood thinline. These look really nice!

kramazeek likes this.
  8. kramazeek

kramazeek TDPRI Member

Congrats! That blue is stunning. Something 50's toy-like about that paint scheme that is so damn appealing. Just the right amount of "different" meets beautiful colors. Love the case as well, just a beautiful thing all around. How did you feel about the tone bleed circuit? I'm not super familiar with those and some say it can take a bit of playing around to find the correct resistor/capacitor values? Did you find that feature to work well so far? Ah man though, really eyeballing the Surf Green one and trying to resist. Enjoy, man!

9. Cletus Buttwhump

Cletus Buttwhump TDPRI Member

Hi, all. I found the Surf Green version (Parkway Music, Clifton Park NY) and just couldn’t avoid picking it up. What a cool Tele! Definitely more crystalline sounding than my beefier sounding Am Pro Tele.

a question for the group: Anyone have any ideas about production numbers for these?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. kramazeek

kramazeek TDPRI Member

Ah man, broke down and bought the Surf Green version. Absolutely love this thing with a SF Bassman through Marshall 1960a cab. Just throws off this woody and beautiful harmonic howl which is tough to describe. This is my first tele and I’ll never sell it. Sounds great unplugged too and so damn light.

Attached Files:

Andre Rock and Cletus Buttwhump like this.
  11. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Hi guys, sorry I missed your questions, but it looks like it all turned out well in the end.

@Cletus Buttwhump - I have no idea how many they made. Might actually send an email to Fender and ask now that it got brought up. If I get an answer I’ll post it here.

@kramazeek - glad you like it! I find mine as well to just have a clarity and jangle to it that that my old American Pro didn’t. I definitely like the ‘51 Nocaster pickups and if I ever get another Tele besides this one, I’ll probably add them to it. To answer your original question, never had an issue with the treble bleed circuit bith on this and on my old Pro, but I always leave everything dimed, so not really one who can comment with authority on it.

Cletus Buttwhump likes this.
  12. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Quick question for you guys - does your Tele hum/make noise a bit when plugged in? Mine does a little, but stops as soon as I touch the strings. From what I’ve read, that is a characteristic of the ‘51 Nocaster pickups and supposedly normal, but just checking. It doesn’t bother me, but my prior American Pro was dead quiet and it’s all I have to compare to.

13. kramazeek

kramazeek TDPRI Member

I get a slight sorta electrical crackle noise, but very minuscule when plugged directly onto my amp. I use a noise gate most of the time which seem to clean things up fine.

14. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Cool, thanks. That pretty much sounds the same as mine. It’s nothing bad at all, just more than the old one. The sound of the guitar is fantastic, so I’m fine with the little bit of noise.

Cletus Buttwhump and kramazeek like this.
  15. kramazeek

kramazeek TDPRI Member

Me too, man. I love the thing to death after a month. Surprising range of tones in too, even some interesting higher gain stuff. This is my first tele and first thinline and this guitar made me a convert for life.

16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet tele! Congratulations.

17. Cletus Buttwhump

Cletus Buttwhump TDPRI Member

@Chikubi Thanks—please do post it if they get back to you. No real reason to want to know other than base vanity. Also, I love that blue of yours. If the shop had had that color in stock, my decision would have been a lot harder.

@kramazeek I'm with you: The woody tones this thing can find are really beautiful.

I do get that weird crackly hum when I'm not using my body as part of the ground. When I touch the strings, it goes away. (I have not yet been successful in using this learning as a ploy to get permission to bring the Thinline to bed at night to avoid never having to not touch it.)

But all in all, it's a fine addition to the stable, and sits alongside my American Pro nicely—I was concerned there'd be too much tonal overlap. The AmPro is just beefier. The thickness of the neck, the weight of the solid body, the meat in the tone due to the pickups (and the body)—just beefier. The AmPro definitely sounds like what it purports to be: A modern interpretation of a Telecaster.

One question for the room: How did you set your pickup height? Fender's support page doesn't have the Nocasters noted, so I used the "Standard Single-Coil" recommendations (5/64" bass; 4/64" treble). I'll spend a little time with this setup to see how things sound.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    kramazeek likes this.
  18. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

love that blue and pearl

kramazeek and Cletus Buttwhump like this.
  19. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Cool! I'm digging it in a gretschy sort of way.

Cletus Buttwhump and kramazeek like this.
  20. kramazeek

kramazeek TDPRI Member

Hey man, I’ve only messed with the neck pickup height thus far. The pic below below is sorta where I wound up but I do tend to mess with height constantly for a few months before I settle on a final height. I generally do not use the recommendations but rather just turn screws for hours until something makes me smile. Probably not the best way! And to anyone with a good eye, yeah, I’m in boxers while my clothes were drying. Ha!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.