NGD: Flamenco!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Axis29, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Never owned a nylon string guitar before in my life. Not even as a kid. 37+ years of playing... Don't play Flamenco, or even Classical stuff, either.

But, I was goofing around using one of the Xmas gift cards at GC a few weeks ago and meandered into the acoustic room. I picked up a little 250 dollar nylon string Cordoba and really liked it. I goofed around on it for a good half an hour. Had an older couple tell me they thought it was my guitar. But, I didn't bite.

I wandered out with a set of strings, and 45 bucks left on my card. A week or so later, i remembered I needed a case for my wireless transmitter, so ordered one online to be picked up in a different GC. It came in on my birthday. So, I headed over.

My wife accompanied me this time. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the mood of the day.

Well, she asked em to show here the guitar I had mentioned. The one at this GC was not nearly as good, and had all kinds of hanger rash on the neck, near the nut. She then asked me what the possible difference could be between the lower $149 Cordoba and the $550 Cordoba nylon string guitars hanging next to each other. So, I pulled them down. I strummed the $550 version and was instantly smitten... So was she. Then, the $150 version... flat, harder to play, it was an instant thing, too.

Well, needless to say, she bought me the $550 (on sale) Cordoba GK Studio Negra. I tried the other two they had in stock, one on display and one NIB, and neither felt as good, or sounded as good (even with dead ass strings) as the one I had originally picked up. Even my wife, one strum, knew which one was the best.

European cedar top, East Indian Rosewood (laminated) sides and back, maple binding on the body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard and an onbaord Fishman preamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is so very different from everything else I own. So, very, very different.

But, I love playing it. The big wide neck and flat fretboard are interesting. The 25.5" scale and wide neck has been an interesting thing to deal with. I have long fingers, but a messed up wrist (forma car accident as a teenager, and following surgeries), so no weird jazz chords on this baby! But, I have been working again on fingerpicking since getting this little bugger.

The tone is incredibly rich. Warm (it is another 12 fret acoustic, I have two others) and very piano like sustain. It rings nicely. It has a large pickguard, or golpeador, and tapping between picked notes is a lot of fun!

I tried some gold and black Ernesto Palla (Ernie Ball) ball end strings and they sound lovely on this guitar! Be fun to mess around with different strings over the next few years, though.

Anyway, happy birthday to me! Also a reminder that my wife's the best!

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice. I’ve thought about getting a flamenco guitar, but I’ve never found the right one. Guess I need to cast a net wider...

Axis29 and Fretting out like this.
  3. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

thanks for the gas

Axis29 likes this.
  4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if you have Netflix - watch the documentary and/or the film about Camarón de la Isla. He was a great singer from a truly impoverished gypsy background; first he stunned the flamenco world with his incomparable voice and delivery; then he stretched the concept of flamenco into all kinds of new directions. His two great guitar players are probably more well-known than he, outside of Spain. Paco de Lucia, and Tomatilla - absolutely brilliant! and they feature a lot in both programs.

You may - as I did - at first find it all too strange. The English translation of Camarón's singing is almost surreal. And at times hilarious! It is worth knowing that many of these 'crazy' song lyrics are adapted from famous and highly-respected Spanish-language poets.

The vocals are strange, weird; maybe jarring at first. But so full of emotion. And the guitar work is blistering.

What I liked the most was how he and his guitar player would present a performance. They would sit - on stage - on chairs around a small table; the table would have a few glasses of beer and brandy. Camarón would sing - sitting - and play a rhythm either by clapping his hands, or tapping a glass on the table. Every once in a while he jumps up and dances a few measures - and flamenco dancing is a thing of great beauty!

Skydog1010, Tony Forman and Axis29 like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Congrats, that is a beauty! Nylon strings are a blast. I even play fingerstyle blues and strum mine (closer to the bridge). They have a unique and addictive voice.

Axis29 likes this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

HNFGD - I don't have a nylon string guitar (yet) but certainly enjoy the sound.

I've been reluctant to "shop" though, as I don't feel I have the experience w/ NSG and fear I might be attracted to one because it's "pretty" rather than focusing on important build quality details.
    And recognizing which build features are NOT relevant to sound (like cool inlay, etc).

And, I've never changed strings on one of these beasts, so it would be "learning something new"
    Maybe I'll need to shift my youtube viewing.
    Peace - Deeve

Axis29 likes this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Very slick, I like it!

Axis29 likes this.
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a similar Kremona, except it has a slightly radiused finger board and 24.8 scale. I love it.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Darn. I should have looked around at different cutaway shapes. That one looks easier than the Venetian one I did. Oh well too late. Nice looking guitar. Nylon is a different animal.

Axis29 likes this.
  11. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Congrats! Thats a really nice guitar. Nylon strings are fun to play. I have a cheap Yamaha that I love that my wife bought me. String changes aren't that bad. It just takes a while for them to hold tuning. I feel like they just keep stretching forever. Enjoy it!

Axis29 likes this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Very nice! I've felt like buying something similar to mess around with. But I bought a new guitar two months ago. :)

Where are they made?

Axis29 likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

THE BEST EVER

Regarding flamenco guitar you should check Sabicas (one of the olders, old school), Niño Ricardo (kid Ricardo), Paco de Lucía, Tomatito ( little tomato), Manolo Sanlucar, Habichuela (little bean), Vicente amigo, Riqueni and more.... Is funny that flamenco players use nicknames like old bluesman. Actually, I find a lot od things in common between flamenco and blues... racial, patterns, attitude, nicknames... Even me I have my flamenco name: "Patillita" that stands for "little sideburns"

We, here in Spain, we learn with one of those. A Spanish guitar: flamenco or classic guitar (they are the same, only setup changes). They benefit a lot if you put bone nut and bridge. And I am keen on high tension strings. Is not that high compared to my 13's gauge acoustic. The more you play it the best it sounds. It has a sweetenes and a punch that bronze strings cannot have. Actually, I bought my first acoustic at 40 years old

Now, grow your nails and go for it

And a tip... If you buy a capo... it must be straight, no radius

Tony Forman, Old Plank and jhundt like this.
  14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have a friend who plays classical and he owns a very expensive hand-made guitar that he bought in Spain. More often than not, though, he plays his old Cordoba. He says it just sounds so good and plays so nicely. He says there's just something about the Cordoba that keeps drawing him back to it.

15. Axis29

The very highest end Cordobas are made in Spain. But, all the rest, including my Iberia series are made in China.

@El Marin - I have no delusions of even attempting much Flamenco stuff. it is beautiful, and I like listening to it... But, man a lot of that speed is beyond my old fingers! LOL . I will stick with my Blues and hint around some Spanish/Mexican stuff here and there. The strings I put on were medium tension. So, they don't feel super loose... But, they are definitely lower tension than anything else I own.

@Deeve - I cheated a little and bought some ball end strings. Even with that, the wraps ont he tuners are not the prettiest. It's gonna take some practice! LOL . Kinda like the first time you string a Bigsby.

@jhundt - I will check out that documentary. Thanks!

So, I'm a week into owning this guitar. I've been motivated to learn some new songs and really had a lot of fun playing it. I like having it close by the couch.... My only fear is the very low humidity level here in Southern California. It's the reason my little Gibson doesn't sit outside it's case. (I'm working on a design for a guitar storage cabinet for my studio area, with a built-in humidifier). One thing I can say is, what fun little music box! It is very expressive, very lively and very, very beautiful sounding!

Deeve and Flat6Driver like this.
  16. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Axis 29, Congrats and happy birthday! so, I'm heading to a guitar shop later today (Friendly River, Hiram Maine), would your wife perhaps be available to accompany me? :)

Axis29 likes this.
  17. Axis29

She might, but you might have to front the air fare. LOL

(she does have several half-sisters... and I understand they are quite well off. But, I have never met them and they are far from close! But, hey, ya never know!)

Old Plank likes this.
  18. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Lol; well count your blessings, when I mentioned heading off with my buddies on a guit store road trip later on, my wife just gave me wordless glare as I'm sure her honey-do list was scrolling through her mind ... why do they never get used to this?!

Axis29 likes this.
  19. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a seasonal humidity disorder which has resulted in a few cracks in bodies. I'll fix them once I have the new humidifier put in the furnace. I am going to make some French doors and convert a closet into my humidity cabinet.

Axis29 likes this.
  20. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Congrats! nice guitar

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.