NGD. First Tele in a while.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looks like a nice guitar that will cover a lot of bases. I am more of a traditional Tele guy, but I am tempted to build one with a humbucker in the bridge. I have a nice Seymour Duncan JB humbucker that is looking for a nice home. I also like that modern steel Strat bridge as well. The neck pickup is a little more of a challenge to mate as I would have to switch to 500K pots, but that's a conversation for a different day.
If you don’t need a tone knob (I certainly don’t with a humbucker in the bridge spot) you could always go with two volumes. 250 for the neck and 500 for the bridge.

jumpturn

TDPRI Member
It’s been a minute since I owned a Fender Tele. I almost always have some kind of T style laying around, but this is the first actual Fender since maybe 2016?

I had an American Special Strat that I really didn’t play and didn’t like all that much up for sale on CL. I was mainly looking to cash it in, but stated in the ad that I’d entertain trades for an MIA Tele. After running the ad for about a week and a half with zero results, I got offered this little dude. Met up with the guy, played the guitar, and did the deal. It was sorely neglected and in terrible need of a setup, but I figured if I didn’t end up liking it, I could just flip it and not be out anything.

Here she is:

View attachment 1002517
View attachment 1002518
View attachment 1002519
View attachment 1002520

2013 US Professional HS. These were exclusive to GC, and I think only made that one year. It cleaned up and set up very nicely.

I hate sunburst, hate black pickguards, and I’m not a huge fan of rosewood on teles. All that said, it’s a pretty great guitar. I used it at rehearsals the last two nights and it was fantastic. I suspect at some point it had some work done, even though the seller claimed to have bought it new and never used it or did anything with it. If the fret and nut work on this guitar is factory, it would make it the first Fender I’ve seen since about 2004 that didn’t need a fret level and nut work out of the box. The frets are absolute perfection. As good as my PRS. The nut is not at that level, but it’s much better than I’ve seen from fender production in the last 18 or so years. It’s very good.

The frets were corroded, the board was dry, it was very dirty. Jack is making a little noise but I’m going to handle that this evening. Everything else works as it should.

The humbucker isn’t super hot. Very vintage voiced. Sounds pretty good. It does lack a little cut in a mix. I’m gonna play around some with height adjustment, but if I can’t get the honk out of it that I want I have a DiMarzio in my parts box that’ll go in there.

It also has the S1 switch to split the humbucker, and that sounds horrible. Just flat out bad. I’m going to see if I can wire it to do series/parallel instead of a split. That always sounds much better, and remains hum-free.

Neck pickup is bright. Very stratty. I dig it. Middle position is very useable as well. Just don’t touch the coil tap, it ruins everything.

Overall it’s a really great playing and sounding guitar. And it stays in tune extremely well. I wish it was a different color, but it’s a definitely keeper.
I’m liking that burst. The DiMarzio will def be a step up both in terms of output and clarity!

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
The jury is out on the neck pickup. On the one hand, it’s super unique. I don’t have anything else that sounds like it. It’s very bright and stratty for a Tele neck pickup. Which I kinda like. Loads of chime and crispy clean goodness.
If you have a neck humbucker routing that has the space for an English mount, you could just suspend it from a pickguard. If you are happy with the neck pickup on it, then stick with it. Otherwise, you may want to look for a lower output humbucker that will give you a clearer tone. TV Jones comes to mind on that.

Ryden

Tele-Holic
There is also the possibility to wire in a 500k resistor on the neck pickup parallel to the pot, that way the HB see 500k and the SC sees 250 which should take the edge off a bit with the caveat that the combined tone gets muddy, to sort that you need to change the switch as well.

You can also use a resistor to beef up the split coil sound if you want to try.

Edit:
Here's a good link

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
It’s been a minute since I owned a Fender Tele. I almost always have some kind of T style laying around, but this is the first actual Fender since maybe 2016?

I had an American Special Strat that I really didn’t play and didn’t like all that much up for sale on CL. I was mainly looking to cash it in, but stated in the ad that I’d entertain trades for an MIA Tele. After running the ad for about a week and a half with zero results, I got offered this little dude. Met up with the guy, played the guitar, and did the deal. It was sorely neglected and in terrible need of a setup, but I figured if I didn’t end up liking it, I could just flip it and not be out anything.

Here she is:

View attachment 1002517
View attachment 1002518
View attachment 1002519
View attachment 1002520

2013 US Professional HS. These were exclusive to GC, and I think only made that one year. It cleaned up and set up very nicely.

I hate sunburst, hate black pickguards, and I’m not a huge fan of rosewood on teles. All that said, it’s a pretty great guitar. I used it at rehearsals the last two nights and it was fantastic. I suspect at some point it had some work done, even though the seller claimed to have bought it new and never used it or did anything with it. If the fret and nut work on this guitar is factory, it would make it the first Fender I’ve seen since about 2004 that didn’t need a fret level and nut work out of the box. The frets are absolute perfection. As good as my PRS. The nut is not at that level, but it’s much better than I’ve seen from fender production in the last 18 or so years. It’s very good.

The frets were corroded, the board was dry, it was very dirty. Jack is making a little noise but I’m going to handle that this evening. Everything else works as it should.

The humbucker isn’t super hot. Very vintage voiced. Sounds pretty good. It does lack a little cut in a mix. I’m gonna play around some with height adjustment, but if I can’t get the honk out of it that I want I have a DiMarzio in my parts box that’ll go in there.

It also has the S1 switch to split the humbucker, and that sounds horrible. Just flat out bad. I’m going to see if I can wire it to do series/parallel instead of a split. That always sounds much better, and remains hum-free.

Neck pickup is bright. Very stratty. I dig it. Middle position is very useable as well. Just don’t touch the coil tap, it ruins everything.

Overall it’s a really great playing and sounding guitar. And it stays in tune extremely well. I wish it was a different color, but it’s a definitely keeper.
Congrats, beautiful guitar! Love the color/fingerboard combination and the zebra humbucker look. I agree about the 2 pickups in series switch instead of coil tap. I have it in reverse on an American Performer Tele with an SC in the bridge and HB in the neck and it sounds great on both pickups in series mode.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congrats, beautiful guitar! Love the color/fingerboard combination and the zebra humbucker look. I agree about the 2 pickups in series switch instead of coil tap. I have it in reverse on an American Professional Tele with an SC in the bridge and HB in the neck and it sounds great in both pickups in series mode.
That definitely works. And well.

But what I’m talking about is a series/parallel switch for just the two coils in the humbucker. Sounds SO much better than any tap or coil split, and retains noiseless operation. Charvel/Jackson have been doing it since the 80’s. Why nobody else seems to have ever caught on is a total mystery to me.

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
Nice looking guitar man.

Cool graphic on the back in that fourth pic, it looks like a picture of you taking a picture of something. I feel like everybody has one of those on the back of their guitars these days.

In the world of unpopular opinions- I don't love bursts either, personally, but that one is definitely doable. And if I'm honest- left to my own devices I'd probably end up with a custom made pink Rondo Liquid or something so I probably do not need to comment on guitar aesthetics. Also it's saved by the rosewood (color) fretboard :)

Good stuff! Rock it-

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I couldn’t leave it alone. I tried. I really did. But I couldn’t. I liked the Fender humbucker by itself, but it was thin in a band setting. And the neck was just too bright tied in the with the 500K pots. And, I wanted to get rid of the S1/coil tap and the black pickguard.

Here’s the new setup.

01633A1C-08B4-45E0-9F15-5BC0C4515703.jpeg

Ditched the tone knob. Don’t want or need it. Replaced the the goofy S1 volume pot with a 500K Bourns. I really like this pot.

Pickups are now my preferred DiMarzio set- Air Norton bridge and PAF Pro neck. Neck has a Mojo-Tone open cover on it. It keeps the high E from getting hung up in the bobbin if I get carried away. Works great, and I think it looks cool.

No fancy switching or inventive wiring. Just a three way and a volume knob.

Mint green guard. I had to enlarge the opening at the bridge pickup a little so it would fit around the pickup ring, but it was easy.

Now it comes to every gig along with my PRS Silver Sky. They make for a very versatile pair of guitars.