NGD. First Tele in a while.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It’s been a minute since I owned a Fender Tele. I almost always have some kind of T style laying around, but this is the first actual Fender since maybe 2016?

I had an American Special Strat that I really didn’t play and didn’t like all that much up for sale on CL. I was mainly looking to cash it in, but stated in the ad that I’d entertain trades for an MIA Tele. After running the ad for about a week and a half with zero results, I got offered this little dude. Met up with the guy, played the guitar, and did the deal. It was sorely neglected and in terrible need of a setup, but I figured if I didn’t end up liking it, I could just flip it and not be out anything.

Here she is:

1CF506E2-D9E7-432A-888D-78DC4E4B9DD1.jpeg

B82A1FDC-826D-4121-95DF-FF4801D0DB5F.jpeg

11E0A9C8-B6CA-4E1E-9708-F7F1E4DD79E6.jpeg

BFCE8E6C-764F-471F-A13D-7274C381D0AB.jpeg

2013 US Professional HS. These were exclusive to GC, and I think only made that one year. It cleaned up and set up very nicely.

I hate sunburst, hate black pickguards, and I’m not a huge fan of rosewood on teles. All that said, it’s a pretty great guitar. I used it at rehearsals the last two nights and it was fantastic. I suspect at some point it had some work done, even though the seller claimed to have bought it new and never used it or did anything with it. If the fret and nut work on this guitar is factory, it would make it the first Fender I’ve seen since about 2004 that didn’t need a fret level and nut work out of the box. The frets are absolute perfection. As good as my PRS. The nut is not at that level, but it’s much better than I’ve seen from fender production in the last 18 or so years. It’s very good.

The frets were corroded, the board was dry, it was very dirty. Jack is making a little noise but I’m going to handle that this evening. Everything else works as it should.

The humbucker isn’t super hot. Very vintage voiced. Sounds pretty good. It does lack a little cut in a mix. I’m gonna play around some with height adjustment, but if I can’t get the honk out of it that I want I have a DiMarzio in my parts box that’ll go in there.

It also has the S1 switch to split the humbucker, and that sounds horrible. Just flat out bad. I’m going to see if I can wire it to do series/parallel instead of a split. That always sounds much better, and remains hum-free.

Neck pickup is bright. Very stratty. I dig it. Middle position is very useable as well. Just don’t touch the coil tap, it ruins everything.

Overall it’s a really great playing and sounding guitar. And it stays in tune extremely well. I wish it was a different color, but it’s a definitely keeper.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Love to see these rare humbucker in the bridge and single coil neck guitars.

I also wonder about Fender’s decision to go with a zebra humbucker. Was it an attempt to somehow make it look a bit like a single coil?
I have no idea. But I have always dug a guitar with an HS pickup setup. I think it might be my whole “rock child of the 80’s sunset strip scene” background, but that whole bridge hum/neck single thing just works for me.

Last edited:

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Congrats, what a nice looking sunburst ( I am partial because I also have an Am sunburst Tele). Well if your not a dyed on the wool, bridge player that sports the normal Tele bridge pickup, then you should be off and playing.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That is a very nice guitar.

While I do not have a problem with the black guard, you may want to try Mint Green.

That's a nice piece of ash on that there Tele. Enjoy!
Mint green would be very cool, I think. The only issue is having to have it made custom, because of the way it has to go around the pickup ring on the humbucker. I’ll probably be far too lazy to ever pursue that.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like it. Black pg is fine for me, but tort would look good there too. I also see it has the first mod I do to any Tele, a Strat switch tip.

HNGD!
Yeah, it didn’t have a switch tip when I got it. They always break and fall off. Strat tips don’t do that. So I grabbed one out of my parts bin and stuck it on there.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Don't take the bridge assembly off, it you don't have to. Or be careful if you do. The finish on these isn't that well adhered to the wood below, and it can come off in huge chunk. I had an '06 Sunburst American (60th Anniversary "Cubic Zirc") do me that.

The rosewood is nicer than a lot of what we see these days, but what I really like is the graining on the back of the body. Very nice indeed!