NGD: Finally a decent gig-worthy not-so-J45, affordable J-45 Slope Shoulder dread!

Seasicksailor

Friend of Leo's
Its the all solid Sigma. I like it, but it’s a bit harsh. The specs are amazing though

Solid Adirondack top
Solid Mahogany
Mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard
That's a relief to hear! Out of the three it seemed to lack bass to me. The other two sounded great to me. You did well!

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
I confess this thread confused me. I am not sure hw you can be "jonesing" for a guitar you have not spent enough time with to even know what it sounds like.

Anyway, whenever the question comes up as to what guitar would you go with if you could not afford the real deal, when it comes to J45s it seems the same three pop up - Farida (the Elderly house brand). Eastman and Sigma. As these opinions come from folks who are familiar with J45s it would appear that you chose wisely.

djh22

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Congratulations. Play it in good health!

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
I confess this thread confused me. I am not sure hw you can be "jonesing" for a guitar you have not spent enough time with to even know what it sounds like.

Anyway, whenever the question comes up as to what guitar would you go with if you could not afford the real deal, when it comes to J45s it seems the same three pop up - Farida (the Elderly house brand). Eastman and Sigma. As these opinions come from folks who are familiar with J45s it would appear that you chose wisely.

You have a point.

But i fell in love with a J-45, or at the very least, that type of acoustic and the idea of a J-45.

i have fairly good experience with OM’s. But not a slope shoulder dread. So it was actually a revelation when I played that type of guitar when I finally sat down with it.

It might be the 24.75 scale, it might be the looks, and it might be the sound that drew me in, but after playing it, I couldnt get it out of my mind. I guess thats how I realized I’m “jonesing” for one. :)

Good thing I tried a bunch though. Certainly helped me in deciding. On acoustics, I know that it’s not the same with electrics. I can order with any electric sight unseen, and can live with it.

But acoustics, i didnt want to take that risk.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
That's a relief to hear! Out of the three it seemed to lack bass to me. The other two sounded great to me. You did well!

Ohhh! Thanks for pointing out! I actually thought the highs were harsh but didnt think it lacks bass. Come to think of it, maybe thats why i thought it was a bit “thinner” sounding, for the lack of a better word.

I picked the third, which to my ears, in that room, had warmer highs and a bit subdued which i also liked because I just need a focused sound which can provide a bed for vocals and not compete with it.

Now i have 13’s on, the low end is very present. Its a bit growly when I really push the strum, probably the sitka running out of headroom or something, but to me it reminds me of a heavy gauge string on a tele, on the bridge pickup. That growl throaty low end that hits you in the stomach. Am i making any sense? Lol

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
Just an iPhone mic/video

Strung with 13’s. It responds well to picking and strumming dynamics. I feel like I dont have to work so hard to get some tones going.

This is what I will primarily use this for. Just pure strumming, live and loud. Hopefully the laminate will help resist feedback.

I havent lowered the bone saddle yet as the action is manageable. Im afraid I might lose the tone when I lower it and change the break angle of the string.

Neck is actually dead straight, the nut is cut decently but the G string slot was cut a bit low. No buzz though.

Piezo pickup doesnt sound great, but decent with some EQ. So i will plug this in and play through an Acoustic IR. I dont want to mic this in a live gig even if thats the best tone for live sessions.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
What I'm writing is available via wiki, but here's a synopsis.

Martin let the Sigma name lapse. The abandoned name was picked up almost simultaneously by a German guy and an American company.

There was a lawsuit about the name being used.

In order to sell in the US, Sigma Germany (AMI) at first changed the name to Kindred; now the headstock reads AMI.

On the German Sigma website, there's a link for US customers, but it takes you to the US Sigma, which is not the same company. There must have been a deal in the lawsuit, and that link must have been part of the settlement.

So, those of you in the US, if you want a Sigma guitar from the same company as the OP's guitar, you will have to buy it online overseas and have it shipped.

If you buy the domestic Sigma, it will not be from the same company.

I have stressed "same company" several times, because for all I know, the two companies may be contracting with the same manufacturer in China.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
One of life’s hard lessons is that you can only choose from what’s for sale. Another hard lesson is you can only buy what you can afford. You found a guitar you like that you can afford. You did well. Play it and enjoy it. Good for you.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
One of life’s hard lessons is that you can only choose from what’s for sale. Another hard lesson is you can only buy what you can afford. You found a guitar you like that you can afford. You did well. Play it and enjoy it. Good for you.

Thank you sir. Very true indeed. I think I just got lucky. Most of the time, the guitars I want are all out of reach, price-wise. Hehe

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I never was a sunburst electric guy. But man I love the look of dark burst acoustics. I think it's a Hayes Carll thing. Congrats!

Attachments

• Hayes.jpeg
    Hayes.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 13

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
I never was a sunburst electric guy. But man I love the look of dark burst acoustics. I think it's a Hayes Carll thing. Congrats!

I actually thought I was done with the sunburst color!! the last one I had was a previous number 1, my AVRI 62..

after that guitar, I got sick of the sunburst color and didnt want anything sunburst near me! LOL

but yeah, I like the burst on these Sigma.. it's not actually black, but it has a deep red tint on the dark corners when the light hits it.

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

but I've always loved Gibson sunburst.. I dont think anybody does it better.. especially on their ES models..