NGD - Fender Vintera '50s Modified, Finally

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Nice! What is the " Modified"? How does it differ from the unmodified?

As noted above, the "standard" version has a 7.25" radius fretboard and much more vintage-sounding, lower-output pickups. I had one for two days when a mail-order place sent me the wrong guitar. Though I loved the neck, I didn't care for the pickups. The "modified" model has a 9.5" radius fretboard, 4-way switch, out-of-phase switch, and more modern-sounding pickups (Twisted Tele neck, Broadcaster bridge - a great set).

I own the exact guitar. Equally as heavy. I’ve weighted it several times because I can’t believe it. I do love the sound. How’s the action on yours? Be had trouble getting it low enough at the 12th fret. I’ve even put in a cereal box neck shim, which helped a bit. I have a white pick guard - which I like because it fits the simplicity of the tele.
Everyone's definition of ideal action is different, but I have this one where I like it - about 1.7mm on the high E, 1.75 on the low E. The high E buzzes when I fret it at the 12th and hit it more than lightly; the 13th fret is a tad high under that first string, and I haven't taken the time to fix it yet. Once I do, I suspect I could drop it to 1.6mm without any issues.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
WD has a flat gold that's pretty versatile and sharp looking.
I put a gold pearl guard on it for a few days. It looked good, but there are others I like better.
congrats on the find! The best thing about pickguards is that they are inexpensive and are easy to change. You don't need a single pickguard, but a set of pickguards and then change them as the mood strikes you...That said, I like some of the graphic pickguards
That's the approach I've been taking. I like having half-a-dozen different pickguards on hand so I can swap them around as desired - even if it does feel a little like playing with a Barbie doll. I'm secure in my masculinity, dammit, and I'll dress my guitar in different outfits if I want to!

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I own a surf green one, I think they're lovely guitars.
I find it strange that the two colors they chose for these guitars were Daphne Blue and Surf Green, because they're so similar. When I was checking used listings for them, I had to contact sellers more than once to ask what color the guitar was, because I couldn't tell from the photos whether it was soft, pale blue or soft, pale blue-green. It seems like an odd decision on Fender's part, especially since those are both '60s colors and the guitars are meant to evoke the '50s. Not complaining, just observing. I'm sure they wanted to establish at least some difference between the Vinteras and the previous Baja line.

Ben Bishop

Tele-Meister
I think of a Gibson ES-295 which has a cream pickguard with gold figuring and see something similar on your guitar - nothing too fancy, just a little flash.
1660241333369.png

Sebbe

TDPRI Member
I find it strange that the two colors they chose for these guitars were Daphne Blue and Surf Green, because they're so similar. When I was checking used listings for them, I had to contact sellers more than once to ask what color the guitar was, because I couldn't tell from the photos whether it was soft, pale blue or soft, pale blue-green. It seems like an odd decision on Fender's part, especially since those are both '60s colors and the guitars are meant to evoke the '50s. Not complaining, just observing. I'm sure they wanted to establish at least some difference between the Vinteras and the previous Baja line.
There were actually three, there was also a butterscotch blonde one with an Ash body but these are appearently discontinued. Pastel colors always tend to look bland especially in certain light, but I guess Fender wanted to offer something different. Worked for me, I like these colors.

If I would change the pickguard on mine though I would do something different and go for a Jeff Buckley/J Mascis style mirror guard. Just because I can.

Last edited:

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
If you’re suggesting they play guitars instead of bagpipes, I concur.
I think I was expressing a preference, for the plaid/Tartan pickguard.:)

Every instrument has it's place, though- including all versions of the pipes. :cool: Northumbrian Smallpipes, anyone?

user name

Tele-Meister
Which one? There's a standard Vintera that comes in Sonic Blue with a white pickguard. The modified ones are either Daphne Blue or Surf Green.
Not sure, I didn't know there was both sonic and Daphne blue.
Nevermind....

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I like Daphne Blue. I like Mint or Parchment for that color, but out of the three choices I'd choose the Abstract.

Galen1960

Tele-Meister
I've wanted one of these since they were announced in 2019, but being a cheap bastich, I was holding out for a deal on a used one. That deal finally came along, so now I have my Vintera '50s Modified Telecaster in Daphne Blue.

The soft-U neck carve is every bit as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Fit and finish are perfect. Pickups sound killer. My only nick against the guitar is that I seem to have lucked into the heaviest one in the world at 8 lb. 10 oz. Weight isn't even on the list of deal breakers for me, but I'm still surprised this one is a pound or more heavier than weights other people have reported.

Daphne Blue is a tad blah to my eyes, so the search for a pickguard to jazz things up is happening now. The stock matte black isn't bad for a classic look. Parchment is still too bland. I tried black pearl, but that combination looks exactly like the bathroom fixtures I grew up with in the 1960s. No thanks.

Other options are dark tortoise, red plaid, a splashy abstract, and my current favorite, a cover from the pulp magazine "Amazing Stories."

View attachment 1012229

View attachment 1012230

Last edited:

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Of the three, I'd go with the Amazing Stories 'guard. I like the tartan, but think it would be better on a natural finish guitar, especially with an ash body.

Canadiense. El

Tele-Meister
This is one I've been interested in for a while. I'll likely keep the single-ply black guard, but...

The plaid is kinda cool... especially if it's actually a cloth covering!

Another idea would be to get a clear guard, pinstripe the bottom then over-spray with silver, gold, metallic black, metallic white, etc. Get your name in there if you want, whatever! That said, you could have the original pinstriped on top.

You might be able to tell that pinstriping's been on my mind. The other guitars that really interest me are the Am Pro II Jazzmaster and Tele Deluxe in mystic green but the pickguards on those don't really do it for me. The best option I've come up with is subtle pinstripe 🤷‍♂️

scooter44

TDPRI Member
I've wanted one of these since they were announced in 2019, but being a cheap bastich, I was holding out for a deal on a used one. That deal finally came along, so now I have my Vintera '50s Modified Telecaster in Daphne Blue.

The soft-U neck carve is every bit as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Fit and finish are perfect. Pickups sound killer. My only nick against the guitar is that I seem to have lucked into the heaviest one in the world at 8 lb. 10 oz. Weight isn't even on the list of deal breakers for me, but I'm still surprised this one is a pound or more heavier than weights other people have reported.

Daphne Blue is a tad blah to my eyes, so the search for a pickguard to jazz things up is happening now. The stock matte black isn't bad for a classic look. Parchment is still too bland. I tried black pearl, but that combination looks exactly like the bathroom fixtures I grew up with in the 1960s. No thanks.

Other options are dark tortoise, red plaid, a splashy abstract, and my current favorite, a cover from the pulp magazine "Amazing Stories."

View attachment 1012229

View attachment 1012230

View attachment 1012231
Nice. I thought the Modified version had the modern C neck and not the U shape neck. 🤷🏽‍♂️

afterdarkmusic

Tele-Meister
Enjoy!

I’d have to go with mint/black/mint, but I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to pickguards.

I think this one could get away with something subtle like the Sleepwalk or Streamline from Decoboom if you’re dead-set on graphics, though.

Attachments

• 4966F7A5-4165-4962-8B84-02F192A5E6B4.jpeg
    4966F7A5-4165-4962-8B84-02F192A5E6B4.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 4E35DC3D-7E52-4715-9F91-28D15FD1FA08.jpeg
    4E35DC3D-7E52-4715-9F91-28D15FD1FA08.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15

donvito

TDPRI Member
I had the Vintera 50s Telecaster in Sonic Blue. It is close to the Modified Vintera in Daphne Blue. It looked best with an aged white pickguard that I had left over from a Road Worn Telecaster.
1660612240671.jpeg