NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Trans Surf Green

Groberts

Tele-Holic
I love that Ultra Luxe Trans Surf Green,except the colored headstock,but the latter is only personal taste.
A couple of years ago I bought a Fender tele in surf green that is not „ultra luxe trans“ and that color jumped into my eyes at first sight.I changed the original pickups with " Celina Garcia Hand Wound Texas Special Pickups" and have the sound I was dreaming of.
I am going to find out this weekend what a different set of PU's can do. I also have a Callaham Modern bridge coming with three Brass compensated Saddles. I might stage the upgrades so I can hear what the Pick up swap alone will do for the guitar.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
This is routed for a middle Single coil! Just get a different Pickguard and wire it up!

The only problem would be finding the correct Fender Noiseless middle pickup. And Fender doesn't sell those as individual pickups anyway, you'd have to buy an entire Strat set. You might have to buy a whole set anyway to find the one that matches the Tele set.

A couple of years ago, I tried to buy an Elite Noiseless Tele set with a matching Elite Strat middle pup for a partcaster Nashville I have, and the Fender Custom Shop was absolutely no help at all.

Last edited:

GHOSTULUS

TDPRI Member
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

0D8EF72C-4C17-4936-AC7F-46F29A35BA46.jpeg

8EB02FAB-326A-4FCE-85B4-F608B90C0991.jpeg

71CC31A6-9C4F-4C7E-89B3-9E300023710E.jpeg

216CFC0D-EAAA-42FB-8BF8-C12DBCECD169.jpeg

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

D7B37F23-AB13-4081-B550-17ACC0A74D01_1_201_a.jpeg

7CC45FF5-7AED-412C-B294-CCDDB2DCEAB7_1_201_a.jpeg

1D62BDEE-5AD8-4D97-93C8-DF21C366EF1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Beautiful guitar, reminds me of one I have. love the color and that translucent finish can't beat that tortoise binding. Saw that desert setting in your pictures reminded me of Arizona, checked it out and Yup you're in Tucson I'm in Phoenix Here's a picture of my translucent , 98 Nashville. Different color same binding
20190621_135404.jpg
20190621_135445.jpg
20190621_135553.jpg
20190621_135314.jpg
20190621_135428.jpg
20190621_135338.jpg
20190621_135532.jpg

Groberts

Tele-Holic
Beautiful guitar, reminds me of one I have. love the color and that translucent finish can't beat that tortoise binding. Saw that desert setting in your pictures reminded me of Arizona, checked it out and Yup you're in Tucson I'm in Phoenix Here's a picture of my translucent , 98 Nashville. Different color same binding View attachment 969864 View attachment 969868 View attachment 969865 View attachment 969862 View attachment 969863 View attachment 969866 View attachment 969867
Wow! Love your guitar! What a great color scheme! I grew up in Scottsdale and came to Tucson long ago. Love Arizona. Keep in touch! Gary Roberts

Groberts

Tele-Holic
Here's the latest upgrade report.

Hardware / electronic changes:
I replaced the stock control panel with an RS Guitarworks pre-wired Vintage Tele control panel. It has a CTS 280K Superpot, CTS 250K audio taper tone pot and a .047 Paper-in-Oil capacitor. I replaced the stock control panel for a couple of reasons: A.) I never use the S1 switch and B.) the wiring has modular harness connectors for the noiseless PU's connect to. I wanted to leave that intact so I can easily put it back to stock.

I also replace the stock bridge that had 6 plated saddles. I installed a Callaham Modern bridge plate (It matches the 3 screw mounting hole configuration and lined up seamlessly as a direct retrofit replacement. This bridge also has 3 brass compensated barrel saddles.
These changes were made individually and I felt each one made a quantifiable improvement. More classic tone, depth and sparkle.

1st Pickup change - Lollar J Street Bridge and Lollar Royal T neck PU

This is an excellent set of PU's. The J Stree bridge PU however is very hot around 9K. It is awesome but less 'classic' than I wanted. The Royal T Neck PU is excellent but the holes in the fiber bobin of the pickup were too large to allow me to suspend the PU from the pickguard using the screws that fit through the Pickguard adjustment holes. I didn't want to route the the holes larger. So I had to screw the PU into the body. That works fine but makes it nearly impossible to put the pickguard back on without loosening the neck. This guitar has a 22 fret neck and the fingerboard extends deeper over the body so that prevents getting the Pickguard over the neck PU and under the fingerboard lip at the same time. Suspending the PU from the pickguard is the way to go for this instrument, which is how it came in its stock form.

2nd - Fralin Blues Special PU set - Hybrid Stagger
The Blues Special bridge PU is really good. It has great articulation responding to your attack. It is amazing with overdrive pedals. Yet it sounded a little lean in the low and midrange for the primarily clean playing that I do.The covered Fralin Blues Special neck PU is basically a 2% overwound PU. This is one of the sweetest and best sounding neck PU's I've found. It is buttery and rich, it can be jazzy, bluesy or even somewhat "Strat-like".

3rd Pickup Upgrade - Florance TE59 bridge PU paired with Fralin Blues Special Neck (2% overwind covered PU)
For my preference, we have a winner! First, Florance Voodoo PU's are no longer available as Peter Florance passed away a few years ago. I had the privilege of buying this TE59 pickup 5 years ago and I hung onto it as a couple Tele's came and went. The TE59 is wound to 8.5K based on my measurements. The combination with the Blues Special created a well balance set. I like my Pickups to push the amp to slight edge of breakup when pushed and to get blues and rich with overdrive. These DELIVER!

I still need to get the guitar set up by my luthier. I changed to .010's and the Tusq nut was slotted for the factory .009's the guitar came with. I am dropping it off today to get a Bone nut installed and professional setup/intonation.

Fralin Blues Special Neck mostly and some Middle PU position with the Voodoo TE59

Mix of Fralin Blues Special Neck and Voodoo TE59Clean and OD on solo's

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have.

Congrats! Very cool guitar, indeed!

How do you like the stainless steel frets? Like you, I have several Custom Shop Teles and Strats but recently started purchasing Tom Anderson's, Suhr, and Ernie Ball with stainless steel frets and I must say that I'm a convert. It's hard to go back to nickel after playing SS frets for a while.

I've been curious about the SS frets on these new models and eager to compare the quality of the fretwork to my Suhrs/Ernie Ball/Andersons. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come from Fender with offering more models with SS frets.

Groberts

Tele-Holic
Congrats! Very cool guitar, indeed!

How do you like the stainless steel frets? Like you, I have several Custom Shop Teles and Strats but recently started purchasing Tom Anderson's, Suhr, and Ernie Ball with stainless steel frets and I must say that I'm a convert. It's hard to go back to nickel after playing SS frets for a while.

I've been curious about the SS frets on these new models and eager to compare the quality of the fretwork to my Suhrs/Ernie Ball/Andersons. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come from Fender with offering more models with SS frets.
I am very impressed with the quality of fretwork by Fender on these Steel frets. All fret ends are finished and nicely beveled and rounded. The fingerboard edges are rolled on this guitar. Everything feels upscale on the one I have.

Abre

Tele-Meister
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

That is so awesome! You have a brilliant, new green tele and live in the desert...I am jealous. Congrats and enjoy!

RocknRollShakeUp

Tele-Meister
That is super gorgeous...and tort binding too, wow! I also love the matching headstock. That geetar is a winner I tell you.
I’ll have to listen to the tone clips with headphones but on my phone the latest pickups seem to give growly muscularity when needed, yet have beautiful clarity, dynamics and chime. Great upgrade. That new bridge set up is really clean looking too.
Sweet playing!