NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Trans Surf Green

guitfiddles

Tele-Meister
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

0D8EF72C-4C17-4936-AC7F-46F29A35BA46.jpeg

8EB02FAB-326A-4FCE-85B4-F608B90C0991.jpeg

71CC31A6-9C4F-4C7E-89B3-9E300023710E.jpeg

216CFC0D-EAAA-42FB-8BF8-C12DBCECD169.jpeg

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

D7B37F23-AB13-4081-B550-17ACC0A74D01_1_201_a.jpeg

7CC45FF5-7AED-412C-B294-CCDDB2DCEAB7_1_201_a.jpeg

1D62BDEE-5AD8-4D97-93C8-DF21C366EF1E_1_201_a.jpeg

It's beautiful and sounds amazing! Congratulation!!!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Beautiful guitar. I think you may get your twang with an equalizer. I use a BOSS EQ-200. I wouldn’t replace pickups until I tried that, especially if you push your amp.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

0D8EF72C-4C17-4936-AC7F-46F29A35BA46.jpeg

8EB02FAB-326A-4FCE-85B4-F608B90C0991.jpeg

71CC31A6-9C4F-4C7E-89B3-9E300023710E.jpeg

216CFC0D-EAAA-42FB-8BF8-C12DBCECD169.jpeg

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

D7B37F23-AB13-4081-B550-17ACC0A74D01_1_201_a.jpeg

7CC45FF5-7AED-412C-B294-CCDDB2DCEAB7_1_201_a.jpeg

1D62BDEE-5AD8-4D97-93C8-DF21C366EF1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Sounds great stock! I say leave it as is so it gives you a different variation from your other Teles.

Groberts

Tele-Holic
I have the 70th anniversary broadcaster I bought in 2020. I really like it but I might sell it not sure yet.
Did you try swapping in the standard control panel with tone knob? a friend of mine has the Anniversary Broadcaster Custom shop and it's a great guitar but a bit polarized to its overall sound. Great guitar however. Loved the neck on it.

Groberts

Tele-Holic
Maybe before switching pu's try some different strings, nickel with a skinny bottom. I use 10-39 nickel wrap. It might give you a little of that missing twang.
If I compared my Custom shop 63 Tele to this, they are so far apart, I doubt if other strings will close the gap. But that's an easy thing to do and I will try my favorite .10's. For now, the nut is cut perfectly for .009's so I'll stick to that even though I think there may be some tone loss with .009's

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Boy howdie that's really a looker. I get the impression folks took a lot of time on the design and appointmen choices for this instrument , congratulations.

putl

TDPRI Member
I love that Ultra Luxe Trans Surf Green,except the colored headstock,but the latter is only personal taste.
A couple of years ago I bought a Fender tele in surf green that is not „ultra luxe trans“ and that color jumped into my eyes at first sight.I changed the original pickups with " Celina Garcia Hand Wound Texas Special Pickups" and have the sound I was dreaming of.