NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Trans Surf Green

Groberts

Tele-Holic
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

0D8EF72C-4C17-4936-AC7F-46F29A35BA46.jpeg

8EB02FAB-326A-4FCE-85B4-F608B90C0991.jpeg

71CC31A6-9C4F-4C7E-89B3-9E300023710E.jpeg

216CFC0D-EAAA-42FB-8BF8-C12DBCECD169.jpeg

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

D7B37F23-AB13-4081-B550-17ACC0A74D01_1_201_a.jpeg

7CC45FF5-7AED-412C-B294-CCDDB2DCEAB7_1_201_a.jpeg

1D62BDEE-5AD8-4D97-93C8-DF21C366EF1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Those are great photos, any images I've seen from stores make it look really washed out and pale. You caught it well.

I love the ultras, like you said, if you park the vintage stuff and accept it as a contemporary interpretation of the formula, it really makes sense. Enjoy!

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Dang! That thing is purty! I absolutely love how it looks and sounds like it plays well to boot. Enjoy!!

Groberts

Tele-Holic
Thanks everybody. I am enjoying it a lot. The post about accepting it as a contemporary interpretation is well taken!

FYI - Under the pickguard, the neck PU area is routed for a Humbucker and there is also a single coil route for a middle PU.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Beautiful instrument. I dig the refinements. I understand the feelings about noise-free pickups. All I can say is that I switched to those on three Teles, and they're here to stay. Mine are Bill Lawrence L280/290 series. Really sweet. The dead quiet is worth the slight loss of ice-pick highs.

Paulmccarthy

TDPRI Member
NGD! Fender Ultra Luxe Telecaster Trans Surf Green

I didn't see this coming since I'm more of a classic Tele purist. I already have a couple killer Fender custom shop Teles. But this trans surf-green Ultra Luxe Tele caught my eye. When I had a chance to play it, feel it and hear it in person I knew I had to bring it home. It's a super nice weight of 7lbs 6 oz's. The fit and finish is absolutely top shelf. It has a super tight neck pocket, dark rosewood fingerboard (my preference!), the action is nice and low and neck shape and fingerboard radius are superb. If anything, The fingerboard might be a little 'flatter' than I like but it plays like cutting butter with a hot knife!

I've never owned a guitar with stainless frets or noiseless pickups before. I love the feel of these frets. I think I can get used to these! ha. The noiseless PU's are better than I thought yet they don't have the punch or depth of classic tele tone that my single coil guitars have. I am resigning myself to realizing this is a modern Tele and if I accept it for that I may leave it stock. The modern appointments are: 22 frets, augmented D neck shape, locking tuners, sculpted body and heel contours, and its Ash with Rosewood which is a little less common.

The trans surf green finish in person is truly a work of art. Magnificent! I love the tort single binding matching the beautiful Tort pickguard. The satin smooth tinted urethane finish on the back of the neck is exceptional looking and it feels amazing too.

I even love the plush lined molded fender case. It is very lightweight and the latches are super easy to secure making a very positive catch once closed. Nice job Fender!

The S1 Switch is sort of cool but I probably wont use it. If I need to make things fatter or punchier I typically engage one of boost or overdrive pedals.

In all honesty, I am going to try a set of single coil PU's with an RS Guitar works pre-wired control panel and Callaham Modern bridge with Brass Compensated Barrel Saddles. I love how this guitars feels, looks and plays. But it's not quite nailing the last ounce of classic tele twang. It's a modern tele and I have a couple Custom Shop Fenders. But I'd still like to get closer to some classic twang if it's there. I will post an video after the 'upgrades'. Here is a Video I made as soon as I got it home. One take:

Pics below!

0D8EF72C-4C17-4936-AC7F-46F29A35BA46.jpeg

8EB02FAB-326A-4FCE-85B4-F608B90C0991.jpeg

71CC31A6-9C4F-4C7E-89B3-9E300023710E.jpeg

216CFC0D-EAAA-42FB-8BF8-C12DBCECD169.jpeg

D1D337BF-508F-402B-B6C5-3EF623933D33_1_201_a.jpeg

D7B37F23-AB13-4081-B550-17ACC0A74D01_1_201_a.jpeg

7CC45FF5-7AED-412C-B294-CCDDB2DCEAB7_1_201_a.jpeg

1D62BDEE-5AD8-4D97-93C8-DF21C366EF1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Paulmccarthy

TDPRI Member
I’ve been looking at the tele ultra. The Texas tea one I really love it looks fantastic and sounds great.

Paulmccarthy

TDPRI Member
I have the 70th anniversary broadcaster I bought in 2020. I really like it but I might sell it not sure yet.