1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Fender-Rexter '61 Jazz bass 'stack knob' aged Olympic White

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rze99, Apr 24, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Hi here's my new Jazz bass :) I do hope you like your knobs stacked. I do. I always wanted an early '60s Jazz bass in Oly white. Oly white + dark rosewood is for me a killer combo and I love my Tele and Strat in in this combo.

The Fender early '60s stack knob replicas are really cool but only available on expensive Custom Shop guitars, e.g. the current CS Journeyman 1960 is a great bass, but very pricey. There were some AVRI Fender 62 reissues in 1982 I think. The original stack knobs were only made for about 18 months before they changed the design.

I tried the Fender Flea bass (MIM). The Flea is essentially a '61 replica relic and I thought it was absolutely perfect for me... apart from the mechanical relic work and rather grey faded pink which some love, it's fantastic. It has a really wonderful aged neck, great Fender '64 Pure Vintage pickups and proper USA CTS Stack pots.

So I waited to find one, and I bought one used last year from a West End theatre musician locally for a very good price with hard shell case - to then customise it to my needs. To be frank, once I'd got the Flea used it for some recording and it is was so good I was in two minds about breaking it up. But I didn't like the finish much and I really wanted it to be aged Oly white!

Rexter Guitars https://rexterguitars.co.uk/ in the UK I have worked with a few times and Jon there does lovely thin nitro finishes the way I like them to my specs. Plus he's a lovely guy to work with. (no affil). So I did a bunch of research on the early '60s stack knobs and sent him some sample Oly White pics I liked and described the way I wanted it aged. So I commissioned a replacement body from him (the original Flea I will sell)

I really think he did a great job (as usual), a hit of yellowing, fine checking, light distressing... so this build is a Fender-Rexter bass. The body, and hand made made tort guard are Rexter Guitars, Fender Pure vintage cover parts, aged wood pull bar, natural bone nut cut cut are by my me. It plays and sounds great.

Link to a set of pics https://imgur.com/gallery/GFXN9FU

IMG_6589.JPG
    IMG_6431.JPG
    IMG_6460.JPG IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6549.JPG
    IMG_6576.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6620.JPG

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

rze99 likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I think the Jazz Bass is probably Fender's most elegant design - everything's right. And you and Jon have put a really good one together between you. Very nice.

rze99 likes this.
  4. rze99

Thank you. Yes it’s a classic and Oly White just shows off the elegant sculpture of the body. What’s not to like.

WingedWords likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet bass! Congratulations.

rze99 likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks great! And that's a nice tort and absolutely stunning dark rosewood board.

I went with Jon recentlybecause his relicing is really tasteful and uses a freezer for the checking instead of compressed air cans! Have you got a close up of the checking on yours?

EsquireBoy and rze99 like this.
  7. rze99

yeah the checking is really very fine. Have a look at the imgur link there’s a close up there I think. Happy to take more shots if you like. The white dazzles the camera and its hard to shoot it.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ah, yeah... I can see it. Thanks! Better than the Custom Shop, IMHO. I believe they use air cans though rather than cooling the whole body? So cool to see a relic that looks better close up and a MASSIVE upgrade on the factory body... I took pictures of that model when I saw it as the relicing was just weird in places.

Congrats!

rze99 likes this.
  9. rze99

thanks for that feedback @Matthias I’ll let Jon know you said “better than Custom Shop”.

Seriously Jon is great. It’s like working with a master builder. He gets exactly what you are saying and wanting and checks in at key stages to make sure you’re happy. And his prices are more than reasonable they are a bargain for the quality and attention you get.

WingedWords likes this.
  10. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Beautiful bass! I agree about those colors. In the bass community around here the Oly/Tort/Rswood combination is the “holy grail”.

rze99 likes this.
  11. rze99

yeah I know. And I apologised to Jon that I wasn’t being more adventurous and that he must go blind doing white but really it’s the very best most beautiful graceful combination. Plenty of other combos I love too but this was one I absolutely had to have and had nurtured a desire for over a lifetime of admiring them from afar. But it has to be proper nitro and the right look and feel. Not Poly.

12. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice looking Jazz!

rze99 likes this.
  13. rze99

Thank you. Just been playing some funky slap bass. It's not what I do, but it is a lot of fun on this baby. The action is so low and the strings so snappy and with both pickups on.. it's sort of scooped but with a fat bottom thunk. The Fender PV '64 pickups are really outstanding. I can't fault them.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice! So, I confuse easily... Is the neck off the Flea? Looks very nicely aged... Or did Rex age it?

Oly+dark chocolate RW is a killer combo for me, too. I'd spring for a Strat with early 60s specs and those colors...

rze99 likes this.
  15. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Taht really came together nicely. It's a beauty! And well photographed!

rze99 likes this.
  16. rze99

Thanks @moosie I know you like this combo too.:) I kind of blended in the info a bit so to extract the mash-up exactly here:

New body nitro finish and body aging - Rexter Guitars.
    New hand made tort guard nitro finish and aging - Rexter Guitars.
    New pickup and bridge covers - Fender Pure Vintage, aged by me.
    Neck and tuners - Fender Flea Bass, except I did some additional oiling and aging to the board.
    Pickups and all other metal hardware - Fender Flea.
    Nut - handcut bone nut finished by me.
    Wood pull bar - finished and aged by me.
    and I put all the pieces together and set it up.

17. rze99

Thank you very much.

I used play in a band and hang out with a proper jobbing photographer and he taught me loads, most importantly use of natural light and composition essentials. He's a v cool guy and had a great darkroom set-up. He'd call and say "I'm going off on a shoot - join in". He'd just give me a camera and say "that's black and white film just mess about and try moody weird angles". So if the pics are good he takes some of the credit!

Censport likes this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I send you a serial number, can you send me a shop floor traveller? :lol:

19. rze99

I'd spring for a Strat with early 60s specs and those colors...[/QUOTE]

like this...? (another parts mash-up)
    IMG_5994.JPG

brookdalebill and moosie like this.
  20. rze99

:) No, but I can say "I'm sorry our records about this model are incomplete"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.