NGD: Fender Offset Guitar - I Finally Got One

TheMicster

Tele-Meister
Awesome! How does she play vis-à-vis a conventional Tele?
Look tough question to answer, Maybe by owning the offset over a longer time period i could answer your question more thoroughly. However initial observations in comparison to my pro 1 unplugged are; its louder yep definitely louder. Is it Twangier? I don't know I'm a bit sh*t and keep changing my mind i think the greater volume initially made it sound Twangier but now I'm not so sure, and when plugged in i keep trying to define Twangy in order to find the Twangier one of the two. Again i keep changing my mind. The Pro 1 i feel has a little more resonance, but understand Pro 1 still has its original ashtray type bridge which is built noticeably heavier than the offset's vintage style ashtray. It will be interesting to compare again when i put on the heavy brass custom bridge i ordered from Hungary or the Gotoh. String spacing is pretty much the same, Neck is a gloss finish as compared to the satin finish of the Pro 1 and is more a U shape profile, Neck width at the nut is 42mm as compared to 43 mm on Pro 1 and edges are more rolled on Pro 1. But probably the biggest most noticeable difference is the comfort of the Jazzmaster body. Wow really comfortable to play and hold, my friend who works in a music store tells me that the offset body style is really in vogue right now for that very reason, he says " yep all the younger crowd are buying Jazzmasters, more comfortable and looks cool they recon". My first experience with the comfort of an offset body was when buying my Fender J bass only around a month ago. Hope this helps.
Cheers Mic.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Very cool buy. MIJ guitars are built very well. An FYI on a Warmoth build, which I used both a Warmoth body & neck. The neck & body actually did just bolt together, fitting perfectly. Warmoth has a visual tour of all the manufacturing processes on YouTube, it's informative for the prospective buyer. Anyways, what a nice offset Tele you have there. Play on.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Cheers Mic.
Thanks for the report mate! Yah, have been thinking about these myself too. Had a coupla old Jazzmasters and Jaguars back in the day, but never really bonded with those, whereas this might indeed be a thing for me as well... Thanks again!

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I like these. I would like to see a true hybrid with a Jazzmaster neck pickup, or a Jag neck pickup and 24" neck. Not a criticism! These are super cool.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
At my post office, a guitar box is called out like the arrival of Norm on "Cheers". Everyone recognizes the box and immediately set it in the Postmaster's office where the climate is controlled better.

Probably helps that there are 5 of us in a 17 person office that play with 2 performing weekly gigs on top of that. We pay attention.
That is the coolest thing I’ve heard this week.

HNGD, TheMicster!

TheMicster

Tele-Meister

Attachments

• 20220622_121105.jpg
    20220622_121105.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220622_121109.jpg
    20220622_121109.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220622_133109.jpg
    20220622_133109.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 93

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
I've been looking for a nice one of these for a while now and I finally got one. For me nothing beats the comfort of a Jazzmaster body, I love the offset. Being in Oz, by the time I would have bought all the parts from Warmoth got 'em shipped to Oz, spent the time to put them together and finish (cause we all know they don't just bolt together). I couldn't have done it for the price I bought this. These guitars are finished really nicely, so I let Fender Japan build my partscaster.
Now I know its nice to build your own guitar choosing your own pickups, bridges, tuners etc. and I did buy this as a modding platform. But for me buying this, replacing the bridge, and setting it up as 3 pickup 5 way Nashville (cause they've got the neck humbucker and center pickup route below the pickguard same as my Am pro), made economic sense.
View attachment 995118 View attachment 995120 Anyway here's a couple of photos.
You just want to lick it like a lolly!

fenderslash

TDPRI Member
I have to agree with your impressions of your guitar. I was looking at getting one of the Squier offset Teles to have a Tele with a difference when I discovered these Japanese ones some time back. I bought the Daphne Blue version because my preference is rosewood fretboards. I've used traditional Teles as my main guitars for more than 30 years, but this one instantly became my "number 1" because of how comfortable the body feels! I actually bought some Texas Specials to fit to it even before the guitar had arrived, but ultimately left the original pickups in it. I A/B'ed it against another Tele I have with the Texas Specials and found that although they were different I couldn't honestly say that one was better than the other, so I left them alone. The only mods I've done to mine have been very minor: Graphtek compensated saddles and Fender strap-lock buttons. I just absolutely love this thing :)

Attachments

• 20220514_150303.jpg
    20220514_150303.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 46

TheMicster

Tele-Meister
Love it! Where do I get one?
Look my understanding is the same as fenderslash and I'm not sure which countries got these. I know they are a limited edition MIJ released in 4 colors.
Maybe an inquiry at a larger fender distributor in the US could give you a definite answer. I know there are some for sale on ebay located in Japan that will ship world wide and there are still some left here in Oz in retail shops, but not many and selling quickly.
Just not sure how cost effective international shipping would be for you but could speak to one of the local shops if you wish.
Cheers Mic.

ben smith

Tele-Afflicted
I've been looking for a nice one of these for a while now and I finally got one. For me nothing beats the comfort of a Jazzmaster body, I love the offset. Being in Oz, by the time I would have bought all the parts from Warmoth got 'em shipped to Oz, spent the time to put them together and finish (cause we all know they don't just bolt together). I couldn't have done it for the price I bought this. These guitars are finished really nicely, so I let Fender Japan build my partscaster.
Now I know its nice to build your own guitar choosing your own pickups, bridges, tuners etc. and I did buy this as a modding platform. But for me buying this, replacing the bridge, and setting it up as 3 pickup 5 way Nashville (cause they've got the neck humbucker and center pickup route below the pickguard same as my Am pro), made economic sense.
View attachment 995118 View attachment 995120 Anyway here's a couple of photos.
love mine!
IMG_20220523_155753_588_2 (1).jpg