NGD - Fender Japan Hybrid 60s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Sep 10, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This lovely Fender MIJ Hybrid ‘60s Telecaster found its way to my doorstep a few weeks ago. I've really enjoyed being able to spend some time with this Tele! I'm very impressed with the build quality and the obvious attention that went into crafting such a fine instrument.

To be honest, I forget how I stumbled upon this line of Japanese Fenders. In the series, they have Hybrid & Traditional models - each with a '50s & '60s variant.

I feel I'm well covered for '50s style Telecasters - I have an early '50s Blackguard-style and a mid '50s Whiteguard-style. I've been on the lookout for an Alder/Rosewood '60s style Tele to compliment the two Ash/Maple ones that I already have.

While doing research, I was really drawn to the specs of the American Original '60s model - but I couldn't justify the cost. And, although I do like nitro finishes…I have absolutely nothing against poly. What was important to me - for some irrational reason - was having an actual rosewood fretboard. I did look into the now decommissioned MIM Classic Series and Classic Player models as well as their new Vintera equivalents. My desire for rosewood ruled out the Vintera line and meant that I would have to find a used Classic Series or Classic Player.

I think it was my constant scouring of Reverb that led me to these Japanese Hybrid & Traditional models. I was really impressed with the specs and the price. These guitars ship with top-notch pickups, rosewood boards, and nice hardware. The gigbag is quite low-quality but I’m fine with that as at least they didn’t skimp on the guitar itself.

With this particular Tele, I'm really blown away by the neck. The satin back has a great feel to it and the carve reminds me most of the American Professional line. And although I'm fine with a 7.25" radius and vintage-sized frets, I'm equally happy with the 9.5" radius and medium-jumbo frets on this Hybrid '60s Telecaster. The frets are beautifully finished - well polished, nicely rounded, and with absolutely no sharp ends.

The only mod that I’ve made was strictly aesthetic - I swapped the stock mint green pickguard for an eggshell one. I think it sets off the Sonic Blue quite nicely.

All in all, this is a superb instrument and I’d recommend it to anyone. I now have a bit of a ‘United Nations’ of Telecasters – one MIM, one MIJ, and one MIA – and, to be honest, now that they’re all set-up to my preferences, I don’t notice any obvious difference in quality between them. The exact specs, overall feel, and resulting sounds certainly differ – but I find them all to be really high-quality guitars that feel and play great.

I now have three Telecasters and no other guitars. The Telecaster is an instrument reduced to direct function - and therein lies its power!

2. RYAN1987M

Fender Made in Japan Hybrid '60s Telecaster
    2019 | 7 lbs 10 oz

Body Material: Alder
    Body Finish: Polyester
    Neck Material: Maple
    Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane
    Neck Shape: "U" Shape
    Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
    Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
    Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (250 mm)
    Number of Frets: 21
    Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    Nut Material: Bone
    Nut Width: 1.675" (42.5 mm)
    Position Inlays: White Dot
    Bridge Pickup: American Vintage '58 Single-Coil Tele
    Neck Pickup: American Vintage '58 Single-Coil Tele
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Switching: 4-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups (In Parallel), Position 3. Neck Pickup, Position 4. Neck and Bridge Pickups (In Series)
    Configuration: SS
    Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage-Style Strings-Through-Body Tele® with Brass Barrel Saddles
    Hardware Finish: Chrome
    Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style Locking
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
    Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
    Switch Tip: Black
    Neck Plate: 4-Bolt

Random1643 likes this.
  3. RYAN1987M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reverb Ad

[​IMG]

The Heard

Fender MIM Classic Series '50s Telecaster - 2018
    Fender MIJ Hybrid '60s Telecaster - 2019
    Fender American Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster - 2007

L-R - MIM / MIJ / MIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RYAN1987M

Naked / Mint / Eggshell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stiles, Random1643, hemmings and 2 others like this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Fine guitar looks great and I also really like the pure vintage eggshell (the one that was on the ‘64 reissue).

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mint.

Nice guitar.

What makes it “hybrid” ?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

What a trio. That sonic blue might be the first time I've seen a guitar and the word sexy came to mind. I've always loved sonic blue and maple but that is just gorgeous.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Nice...that will turn some heads.Congratulations!!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. RYAN1987M

I think they call this series 'Hybrid' because it has some modern specs when compared to their 'Traditional' series.

The MIJ Traditional has - 7.25" radius, vintage frets, gloss back neck, vintage-style non-locking tuners, 3-way switch
    The MIJ Hybrid has - 9.5" radius, medium-jumbo frets, satin back neck, vintage-style locking tuners, 4-way switch

Mike Eskimo and neilybob100 like this.
  10. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Nice. The rosewood neck looks beautiful.

I assume these were made for the Japanese market (not for export). I'm hoping to see plenty of these when I visit Tokyo in October. I love these spec's - 9.5 radius, U shape rosewood neck and medium jumbo frets. Perfect!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You have good taste

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. seeyou

seeyou TDPRI Member

Nice Tele!
    I had a test recently and enjoyed the sound, and sounded “better” versus the 50’s hybrid and baja I tried although that could have been very different pickup heights.
    The build was decent too!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. seeyou

seeyou TDPRI Member

You should see loads there...I’ve been spying different store websites and the hybrids appear plenty. I’m also visiting in Oct so gas research has begun!

Fluddman and RYAN1987M like this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very cool; I thought these weren't available in North America (or maybe just not available in the USA and they are being imported to Canada).

RYAN1987M likes this.
  15. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Absolutely top notch, I love it!:)

RYAN1987M likes this.
  16. RYAN1987M

That'll be a great trip - enjoy it! Japan is a special place for sure!

I know I'm drifting off topic, but will you be able to venture outside of Tokyo as well?

17. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a beautiful tele. I've been watching a few of those on Reverb. If you don't mind my asking, how much of a hit did you take from customs?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  18. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar! I love that color combo. How does the neck thickness on the MIJ hybrid compare to the MIM Classic 50's?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. RYAN1987M

I ordered the guitar via Reverb from a Japanese Retailer on a Monday morning and the guitar was delivered to my home, in Canada, on a Thursday afternoon (less than four days!).

Absolutely no issues with the rosewood board / CITES anywhere along the line. The Japanese Retailer mentioned it in their shipping paperwork (they were very thorough and professional) but it's as if it didn't matter.

The shipping worked out to just a little over $100 USD and, somehow, I didn't get charged any import taxes (although I prepared for those costs in my budget). The guitar shipped from Kyoto via the Japanese Postal Service (EMS) and was then handed off to Canada Post...so there were no Couriers involved.

20. RYAN1987M

To my hand, the necks are probably the same thickness. If anything, the MIJ may be a touch thinner. But, whereas the MIM is definitely a C shape...the MIJ is U with more pronounced shoulders.

The MIJ really reminds me of an American Professional which I used to own.

Saxonbowman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.