NGD Fender Duo Sonic w. TV Jones Classic

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Just got this a few weeks ago, and slapped an old TV Classic in the bridge in place of the stock humbucker.

The stock bucker didn't suck, BTW. Also, coil tapping was a nice feature. But I'd been missing the sound of filtertrons, so I gave it a go.

Having tried it, I'm a bit surprised filtertrons aren't a more popular mod in short scale fenders. It's a real nice pairing. With 11 gage strings, it's got a nice fat tone while still feeling very playable.

I'm actually considering getting a custom guard, dropping the neck pickup, and converting it to a single pickup guitar.

Attachments

• 20211027_175159.jpg
    20211027_175159.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 127

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Very nice. I have always wanted to try that type of pickup in a duo or mustang type and seeing your guitar is making me want to break out my wallet!

Question for you, though: how do the two pickups sound in the middle position? I have no idea what the in-between sound would be like with a single coil neck and TV bridge.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Just got this a few weeks ago, and slapped an old TV Classic in the bridge in place of the stock humbucker.

The stock bucker didn't suck, BTW. Also, coil tapping was a nice feature. But I'd been missing the sound of filtertrons, so I gave it a go.

Having tried it, I'm a bit surprised filtertrons aren't a more popular mod in short scale fenders. It's a real nice pairing. With 11 gage strings, it's got a nice fat tone while still feeling very playable.

I'm actually considering getting a custom guard, dropping the neck pickup, and converting it to a single pickup guitar.
Before you do, swap the neck pickup for a good vintage Strat pickup. Was my favorite setup for years :)

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Before you do, swap the neck pickup for a good vintage Strat pickup. Was my favorite setup for years :)

Trouble is the filtertrons are traditionally in the 4-4.5k output range, whereas I believe even vintage strats are more like 5.5.

Truth be told, I don't even really know how big a deal that is. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Very nice. I have always wanted to try that type of pickup in a duo or mustang type and seeing your guitar is making me want to break out my wallet!

Question for you, though: how do the two pickups sound in the middle position? I have no idea what the in-between sound would be like with a single coil neck and TV bridge.
Funny story about that... I've got a massive volume drop in middle position, which is likely the result of a phasing issue. I need to correct it before I can make an informed judgment of middle position but, at the moment, it sounds like the neck pickup is drowning out the filtertron a bit.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Trouble is the filtertrons are traditionally in the 4-4.5k output range, whereas I believe even vintage strats are more like 5.5.

Truth be told, I don't even really know how big a deal that is. Is it something I should be concerned about?
That's not normally a BIG issue but can be. I'd get my phase issue resolved first THEN think about what you'll do next

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted

Probably a dumb question, but did the TV Classic fit in the pick guard opening without any modification of the pick guard?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Probably a dumb question, but did the TV Classic fit in the pick guard opening without any modification of the pick guard?

Not a dumb question. The routing didn't appear standard. The routing from top to bottom was fine. A little extra space left over, but not enough to look unsightly IMO. The route from left to right however was just barely too small to fit the pickup, and I had to have my luthier open it up a bit

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
That's not normally a BIG issue but can be. I'd get my phase issue resolved first THEN think about what you'll do next

That's my plan. I'll take the posters advice and give this configuration the old college try, but I won't be surprised if I end up simplifying this into a single pickup guitar. I already have a strat, and a jaguar, so the neck pickup doesn't really give me a sound I don't already have.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Not a dumb question. The routing didn't appear standard. The routing from top to bottom was fine. A little extra space left over, but not enough to look unsightly IMO. The route from left to right however was just barely too small to fit the pickup, and I had to have my luthier open it up a bit

Dang! I was hoping it was sized just right since I have a SS Duo Sonic with a body that has the bridge HB route and the TV Jones looks like a cool mod. I won't pay to have it routed, though, and won't try to chisel it out.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
Dang! I was hoping it was sized just right since I have a SS Duo Sonic with a body that has the bridge HB route and the TV Jones looks like a cool mod. I won't pay to have it routed, though, and won't try to chisel it out.
My tech did the whole thing for me, including routing the guard, for $35. Well worth it IMO

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I recently added 2 TVJones Classics to a guitar and the pickups came with mounting legs to fit to each side for regular HB mounting.

If that doesn't work, Guitarfetish has a flat bar mount that goes all the way across the bottom of the pickup and has 2 adjustment holes to fit almost anything. They also have English mounting rings in clear, silver and gold.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I recently added 2 TVJones Classics to a guitar and the pickups came with mounting legs to fit to each side for regular HB mounting.

If that doesn't work, Guitarfetish has a flat bar mount that goes all the way across the bottom of the pickup and has 2 adjustment holes to fit almost anything. They also have English mounting rings in clear, silver and gold.

Mounting isnt an issue.