NGD Fender CS "57 esquire" with an all rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by EsquireBoy, Jul 1, 2019.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Hello!

This is my first post, and although I have been following this great forum for several years, I bought an Esquire last week and thought it would be the right time to introduce myself.

My name's Thomas and I am from Paris, France. I will turn 40 next year, and I started to play guitar when I was 10. I played some gigs in my twenties, but for the last ten years I've played mostly for myself and with friends, but I try to play everyday.
    In 30 years I've had quite a number of guitars, some nicer than others, but I always tried to keep no more than three guitars at a time.

I once had a MIM 50's Tele reissue twenty years ago. She's long gone, but I knew some day I would get another Tele. One of my favourite guitar players and musicians is Jim Campilongo, so I guess it makes sense.

At last here she is: a CS Esquire from 2017 with an all rosewood neck. I love one pickup guitars, and this one ticked all the right boxes for me: a very nice wide fade chocolate burst, a journeyman relic'ing that is not over the top and a very light weight at just 6,5 lbs.

The only thing I did not like about this guitar was the "full throttle" wiring: I had no use of the "straight to the jack" position since I always ride my volume control, and this wiring had an awful clean up (instant mud because the volume pot was wired backwards as in an "independent" volume scheme).
    Thus I ordered a very nice kit from Six Strings Supplies in the UK, with the Eldred mod in the neck position. I now have usable tones in all three positions, and it cleans up extremely well with the volume pot when I adjust it.

The pickup is a CS handwound 58. Several custom shop teles seem to have this pickup lately, but I could not find much info about it. It reads 6,8k and, although it is by no mean overwound, it seems really sweet on the treble, with zero ice-pick. I like it a lot.

The neck is rosewood with a rosewood slab board, and it is entirely lacquered: it is unusual but I like it and it reminds me a bit of the Rickenbacker 330 I used to have. It has the 57 V profile, but I do not really feel the V, it is more like a U shape, very confortable.
    When I was looking at Esquire models on line, I tried to find some info about the effect an all rosewood has on tone, compared to a maple/rosewood one. I found divergent points of view, some stating it is mellower, others stating it is brighter than maple, since it is supposedly harder.
    It is hard for me to compare, all other things being equal, but since the guitar is soft on the treble although it does not have an overwound pickup, I would say that the rosewood seems to give a slightly warmer tone.

The guitar was from a limited edition. It has the #7 on the COA, but do you guys know if there is a way to know how many of this model were produced?

Anyway, here are some pictures.

You'll also find a soundcloud link (nothing fancy: just a quick recording with my phone, noodling a bit).
    The guitar is played almost straight to a 5F2 tweed Princeton clone, with just a tremolo pedal on. The amp was just cooking a bit, but since it was in my apartment, it was impossible to push it more. I am constantly adjusting the volume on the guitar, so you'll hear a bit how the pickup cleans up.
    From the beginning until the 1 minute mark I play on the bridge position.
    Then from 1 to 2'15 I play on the middle position with the tone rolled off a bit.
    A last from 2'15 to the end I play on the "cocked wah" position.

Thank you for reading!
    Cheers

Attached Files:

Stiles, DanDII, csapo and 15 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that neck really looks good with the sunburst.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!
    Since the first sound clip does not really show how the pickup cleans up so nicely, here is another one, recorded with a mic this time.
    Cheers

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a cool guitar. One of the interesting things is its burst. That wide area of dark brown is uncommon, but occasionally showed up in those early Esquires. I think there's an original, with the same burst, in the Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga, Tennessee USA

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely fabulous!
    I love the wide chocolate burst with all rosewood. That's a special thing.
    Congratulations!

EsquireBoy and nojazzhere like this.
  8. teletina

teletina Tele-Meister

Beautifull guitar, very interested at all laqcuered neck .

You found it at Pigalle ?!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Thank you for all the kind words!

I did not know about that, thank you for the info! I'll try and see on line if I find a picture.

I bought it on line. It was located in Indiana but my cousin who lives in Brooklyn was kind enough to fly back to France with her. It was kind of a gamble because the Cites thing, but everything went fine. And I got a very nice deal from the seller.
    The lacquered rosewood does not feel much different than a maple board. What is nice about that is it darkens the rosewood in a beautiful way (at least that's what I think ;)

teletina likes this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Very nice guitar! Thanks for posting!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Wow! That is a stunner. I’m admittedly not the biggest fan of the all-rosewood neck (though some I think look great), but as others have said, this is gorgeous with that burst! Congrats and enjoy! Doesn’t get any better than that.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There isn't a similar picture on their Web site, but scroll through this thread to see pictures of similar Esquire bursts at the museum. Pics are first-hand by @theprofessor

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Thank you so much for the link, there are several beautiful vintage pieces indeed!

14. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Wow awesome!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  15. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Looks great, Cheers

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats Thomas. Nice guitar and welcome to a great forum with good people.

EsquireBoy and tce63 like this.
  17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Thank you guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.