1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Fender Classic 60's Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kestrel, May 7, 2015.

1. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    Just got this in. Fender Classic 60s Jaguar in Fiesta Red nitrocellulose lacquer. Comes with a hardshell Fender Pro Series Jazzmaster case. Vintage sized frets, 7.25" radius, non-locking floating tremolo, made in Mexico.

Setup wasn't bad out of the box, although intonation will need some adjustment and I will be replacing the strings and adjusting the tremolo. Fit and finish is decent, about the same as the Classic Player Jags, except these Classic 60s are closer to vintage spec, have a nitro finish, AND they come with American Vintage '65 Jaguar pickups. The guitar sounds like it's American made counterparts, which is to say it sounds exactly like a Jaguar should. You also can't help but to notice that unique Nitrocellulose scent, especially when you take it out of it's case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, a few things I noticed on mine. One of the pickup switches doesn't "click" into place like the others. It works perfectly, but it engages into position a bit more softly than the others. The tremolo bar comes with a black tip, instead of white. Not sure what to make of that, but the tips are easy to replace. Incidentally, the tremolo bar has to be pushed into place, unlike the Classic Player models that screw into place. Also, the tremolo plate lacks the locking tab (not that I ever used the locking tab on other Jags and Jazzmaster I've owned). The plain white pickguard is a bit boring, but it does the job and I may replace it later on for a tort guard.

And there's the bridge. I will be replacing the bridge. Yes, that dreaded Jaguar bridge that has been an issue with guitar players for decades. Prone to rattling, strings slipping or popping off the grooves, etc. WTF Fender? It's a well known fact that most Jaguar players end up replacing the bridge. You'd think Fender would have caught on by now and at least slapped on a Mustang bridge. A Mustang bridge should be made standard on these types of instruments, in my opinion.

Overall it's a really nice guitar, that's not without the typical Jaguar faults. At first glance, $999.99US does seem a bit pricey for a Mexican made guitar, bit you do get that classic Nitro lacquer finish, American pickups, and a hardshell case.

Unadan likes this.
  2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I m not an expert about jags but hey, what a guitar you have here! Enjoy!!

3. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I'm not normally a fan of red guitars, but then again they are normally CAR. I'm sold! If you hadn't mentioned the black trem tip I bet I wouldn't have seen it. So sit back and have a great time playing the new off of that thing.

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Love Jags, yours is a beauty, enjoy!!

Cheers
    Stevo

5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That is SWEET! Jags are one of my favorites, along with the smell of nitro... Congrats!

6. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    So I've been spending more time with the Classic 60's Jaguar. Cleaned the fretboard, slapped on a fresh set of strings, tweaked the intonation, and raised the action a bit to my liking (action was really low out of the box).

The guitar is a pleasure to play. So far, I've not had any rattling issues with the bridge, but I'd still like to replace it with a Mustang bridge. It's just a personal preference.

I did notice the tremolo unit is slightly less smooth than an AVRI trem, but it works perfectly well and is smooth enough not to warrant a replacement. The black tremolo arm tip is kind of growing on me aesthetically. It goes with the switches and tone/volume knobs. Oh, and the soft click issue with one of the pickup switches seems to have remedied itself.

Love the nitro finish and I especially love the sound of this guitar. Played it through my Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC15, and even my Fender Blues Jr. This is a way better guitar than the CIJ Reissue Jaguar I had a while back, and is definitely a better option over the Classic Player Jaguar when you consider you're getting a vintage spec guitar with American pickups, nitrocellulose lacquer and a hardshell case.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Unadan likes this.
  7. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heck yeah!

8. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

You had me at Fiesta Red

9. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Wow!! Congrats! Jaguar is always a gas to me...unfortunately here in Italy it's not so simple to find

10. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I saw one of these at guitar center last week and had to have it.
    It was on the ceiling rack real close to the lights so, it's more of a coral.
    When I got it home my wife said....is that coral ?
    I said no it's a jaguar.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.