NGD Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster, Ocean Turquoise Rosewood

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rze99, Jul 20, 2019.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

See Fender does this to us all the time. Call tremolo vibrato, a vibrato a tremolo. Sell new Mustangs when they are really Duo Sonics, sell a radius adjustable (height is adjusted by the two bridge posts) Mustang bridge when they are clearly just a Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge with a set string spacing. These bridges have none of the benefits of a Mustang bridge and all of the issues of both a JM/Jag bridge and combine it with the weakest part of the Mustang bridge (v-slots, sometimes wide string spacing). But mostly, it’s just the principle of the matter.

Sorry, I warned you I was gonna be that guy :)

rze99, SixStringSlinger and beyer160 like this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the delights of JM ownership rze99! I have the same model, same colour and it's the best electric guitar I've ever owned.

You'll find lots of info, guidance and enthusiasm here:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/jazzmaster-owners-club.303048/

Some of it's helpful!

I'm happy with the standard bridge, following the set up tips that beyer160 linked to. I bought a Staytrem bridge just in case (having previously used one with good results on a Squier VM), but I haven't used it.

You won't go far before you're advised to shim the neck pocket. Just to let you know the AO has an angled neck pocket so shimming shouldn't be needed. Here's the drawing Fender customer services sent me.
    508812-ab6f687890eb780e85599a0a35f7c3e9.png

And a final gratuitous picture to confirm mine looks as good as yours.

20181009_111930.jpg

Enjoy yours.

rze99, Bassman8, NewKid and 2 others like this.
  3. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I'll have to say I really like my Jazzmaster even if it's not an American made one (60th Anniversary Classic) .... great guitars - congrats!!!!
    20190227_084531.jpg

Kebmel, Bassman8 and NewKid like this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Ugh, you guys are NOT helping my resolution not to buy one of those Ocean Turquoise JMs.

AAT65 likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

Help?

8178ECEA-D198-4497-95CD-EB995BEFA75B.jpeg

RYAN1987M, rze99, Kebmel and 3 others like this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Ha, you can't fool me- that one's not an AO (it's got a matching headstock). The Wildwood Thin Skin models are even closer to what I want, but the price tag makes those a no-go.

No, I've decided that my '60s Lacquer and TVL JMs are everything I really need in a Jazzmaster, so I'm keeping my powder dry in hopes of one day snagging something like this...

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 1.55.04 PM.png

In mid '66, Fender started putting block inlays on the necks of all Jazzmasters and Jaguars. By the end of '67 they'd stopped using nitro as a finish and replaced it with poly. Those '66-'67 transition Jazzmasters in custom colors with B&B necks, matching headstocks and nitro finish are pretty much my holy grail of guitars. By about '73 they stopped with the custom colors and the remainder of the original run until they were discontinued in '77 were all sunburst.

7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

JMs are way cool, but as beyer160 and others point out, a bit finicky. I've read things that say the tremolo and bridge need some attention. The few times I've played a JM I found it nearly impossible to bend a full step. I owned an Oly White '64 JM for about two days and took it back and got a '66 Mustang. I am a habitual string bender, and that is was deal breaker for me. I am open minded so if I found one that played to my liking...

I hate to categorize the JM as a Surf guitar the way Telecasters are classified as Country guitars. I'd have to spend some more time with one to make a conclusion. They sure look cool though.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Jazzmasters (and Jags as well) gained a second life in the late '70s when poor punk/alternative rockers discovered their dad's generation's surf guitars in pawnshops and realized they could get supremely cool guitars for very short cash.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny enough, from what I see (and my own experience) Jazzmasters love playing country. You probably won't mistake the bridge pickup for a Tele bridge pickup, but it can hang just as well. The rhythm circuit is useful for country, as well. Combine all that with a trem that sounds kinda like a Bigsby (more "warble and shimmer" than dive bomb) and you're golden.

I've read a lot about how JM's sound great with kinda dirty tones, and fuzz as well. I haven't experimented with that much yet, myself, but @beyer160 's post speaks for itself.

AAT65 and howardlo like this.
  10. SixStringSlinger

You did, and I salute you for it.

I'm curious as to what you consider the "benefits" of the (real, proper) Mustang bridge, and what you have against the v-slots.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

For me, the Mustang bridge is cool because it uses slugs of metal for saddles, much a like a solid bar bridge. Silly, kinda yes, because they are single moveable saddles. But this design choice does eliminate the chance for saddle grub screws to rattle or sink down.

My Blacktop JM had an adjustable single slot bridge, and some saddles (high e) sunk themselves down, causing the v-slot to turn on it’s side. This allowed strings to slip right out of the saddle, in spite of the shifted trem location and angled neck pocket. The traditional Mustang arrangement will never lean to one side, but it too is V-slotted on the wound strings, so still encouraging some pop if not enough break angle is applied.

I went the extra mile with this bridge, DIY locking the saddles together with two extra screws. I also added hex head intonation screws to make adjustments easier. The bridge is fine as long as you keep the saddles level and put a drop of lacquer in each saddle height screw. Quirky bridge? Nah, just need a decent owners manual.

35F12CC4-BFF1-4C18-8E58-86D2E7FC90C6.jpeg

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

Well done. Jazzmasters and the like seem to bring out creative solution-type mods more than other guitars.

I knew I wanted to change the bridge on my JM (I'm a bit of a string-whacker at times and don't trust my strings to stay in those tiny grooves - I also prefer its looks over the typical JM bridge) and was looking at a fixed-radius, "true" Mustang bridge that matched my JM's fretboard, but I couldn't find one in stock anywhere and wanted to get on with it, so I bought the adjustable one. I figured I always tweak a little after matching the radius anyway. And yes, the grub screws were a major source of rattle (made all the worse by my refusing, for some reason, to consider that they may be the problem), but a little loctite fixed that right up.

rze99 likes this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree.
    I have done set ups in countless JMs and JGs and my method "lower the bridge all the way down so it won't lower during playing,raise the saddles so that you have a good clearance behind the bridge and the strings don't touch the lips at the back of the bridge,drop a drop of Locktite in all saddle screws...works like a charm.

Still VERY few people will bother reading the instructions you have linked and even less will be able to understand and successfully implement them..

So spending 50 EUR in a Staytrem bridge (the Mastery is crazy expensive) is a good way to quick success

rze99 likes this.
  14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Technically speaking, it's not a Mustang bridge, but it works on the same principle (one string slot instead of the terrible vintage threaded saddles), so it's much better and far lower-maintenance than the vintage JM bridge IMO.

15. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

rze99- Michael Adams, the author of the Premier Guitar set up article, has an Instagram account you might find interesting:

https://www.instagram.com/puisheen/?hl=en

I see you've found http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/

I did find the Fender trem arm get a bit sloppy in the collet quite soon and replaced it with the Staytrem collet set.

I use 11-50 strings and quite a high action which might help avoid the bridge buzzes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    rze99 likes this.
  16. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Absolutely gorgeous and in my new favorite finish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rze99 likes this.
  17. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Nice JM! I ended up putting a mastery bridge on mine and love it.

rze99 likes this.
  18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Many thanks for the links. I do have an Instagram account but quickly found it a time sink. Maybe I need revisit.

19. rze99

Many thanks I want to keep working on my setup with all the tricks without being if poss. Right now it's all hunky dory with the work I've done already but it's not been rehearsal or road tested.

I think the use case matters.

This guitar is for my home and studio fun It will not my main guitar but I do have it mind for maybe 3 or 4 tracks we do to which it is suited none of which are thrashers so it's not going to get hammered like some do and therefore require the most bomb proof solutions.

20. rze99

Cool DIY fixing - thank you for your post.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.