NGD Fender 52 Reissue AVRI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hrstrat57, May 15, 2017.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Well I am now back in ownership of a "proper" Telecaster. Inspired of course by TDPRI!

Straight trade of my V0xxxxx early Corona 62 Reissue Sunburst Strat for a early 90's AVRI 52 Tele Butterscotch Black Guard via Craigslist deal with a local pro player

Guitar has the Fender part no 0990810000 6 saddle vintage bridge swap - trader did not have the original bridge and has the modern wiring harness installed, again did not have the original parts.

Not so sure if the 6 saddle will stay and it has a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound bridge pup installed so already mulling a hunt for an original AVRI bridge with a vintage pup installed but man it stays in tune and intonates like nobody's business, the pro player who swapped with me said it is the most stable guitar he has ever played as to staying in tune....he's gonna like my strat cause one thing I can do is set up a strat ha ha....tele not so much so maybe the swapped bridge is good for me. I will give it a long tryout!

I had forgotten this era has all slotted screws just like the original.....strange but kinda cool.

Best part is the neck profile on this one is absolutely identical to my 72 Thinline, no adjustment needed in swapping back and forth and exactly the same as well as my 57 Strat - what a trio!

I'll try and get some pics up soon but too busy fiddlin' right now.

I'm sure I'll have some tweaking queries I'll ask here too in this thread as time goes on....

shupe13 likes this.
  2. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

The 52s are my favorite. Mine is a Butterscotch nitro. Nice neck. You will like the 3 saddle. Stay with fender bridge and get some brass saddles.

Twang Tone and hrstrat57 like this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

How can you go wrong with a blackguard tele?
    Congrats on a great, great guitar!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats, but we need pics. :)

hrstrat57 likes this.
  5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

ecosse, teletimetx, RevBillyG and 2 others like this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Enjoy it!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2649.JPG

Trade victim so long old friend!

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

shupe13 likes this.
  9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice, congrats.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have the new PV.... I had yours and it came w replacement bridges so I put on the modern Gotoh style. Way better to my taste, full sound w better bass and I quit hurting by pickin hand on all the sharp edges that were no longer there. I mention the new version because the p-ups on the old vs new are very different so anyone selling a set might not know which they are. BTW Im a first thing to do is change p-ups kinda guy and the standard AlNiCo 5 s yours came with stayed. Perfect from the start. I sold mine because altho I could wail on it, it inflamed my carpel tunnel wrist.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, he didn't get the original bridge with the serial number and so his guitar, while great, is worth closer to Partscaster than one with the numbered correct plate.

The other guy can now sell easily, and for more money. IMO he drove a better bargain.

One of my eight AV52s does not have the stock plate, either, and I paid approx $ 200 less for it than the others.

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Uuuuuh, I assume it sounds good as well?

hrstrat57 likes this.
  13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Agree......but this one will stay in the family so collectibility means zero to me. I can get my hands on a 90's bridge plate with a serial number but that would be fakery a game I don't play. If I switch to a 3 barrel will likely be gotoh or wilkinson compensated.

Sunny was redundant and hadn't been played in months. Have an 80's Tokai ST 62 that is a better player so Sunny got chosen to deal. She's in good hands tho local pro who is gonna gig her, my ol' Corona sunny will be very happy getting out!

The 52?

Sounds ok and the neck is sublime

:)

teletimetx likes this.
  14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    I don't see a problem getting a period correct bridge, as long it's clear that it's not original - leave a note in the case or something, next to your fake certificate of authenticity...

'

Twang Tone and hrstrat57 like this.
  15. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Me neither, after all, we're not talking genuine 50s vintage Tele here, are we? So yeah, get either a serialized 3-saddle bridge, or just the stock FENDER PAT. PEND bridge.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  16. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I love mine. Great guitar.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, nice grain on this one. I always prefer the grain to go more or less vertically in line with the neck instead of swirling or knotty. I know it doesn't matter in terms of playability, but it looks better under a nitro finish to me.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Thx, yep lotta grain. With a Craigslist swap it's just a lucky thing.

Def adds to the mojo, some folks thinks mojo can make a diff in playability

:)

19. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

A lot of beautiful guitars!

Congrats!!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  20. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Well lotta hours spent with this amazing piece!

It's been a revelation, I've never had a blackguard old school tele. Had a 59 toploader back in the day but never gave it a real chance it has been gone for years.

This guitar came set up with D'Addario 11's. Played so good I resisted a swap to 10's as it intonated so perfectly thought I'd leave it for a while. As I continued to play this guitar and struggled with the fat G string I decided this was the perfect candidate for drop tuning so down a half step it is. Result?

Plays like it has 10's, bends are buttery smooth and with the increased string girth the guitar sounds real fat. Actually to my ear it sounds completely different even better if it was possible. Perhaps that's the real secret of drop tuning, not just the ease of play but the tone fatter. more juicy. The 11's dropped 1/2 step are actually easier to play than 10's = harmonics ring easy and the fatter strings are easier to grab on to for both chords and single note playing!

I'm not messin with the Fender six saddle bridge with the half step down tuning and the 11's I rarely have to touch the tuning keys.

This guitar is a beast!

Keeper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.