NGD! Fender ‘57 AVRI in Surf Green!

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That is sweet! A US Surf Green ‘57 RI Strat literally haunts my dreams. I bought my ‘88 CAR ‘62 RI Strat in the summer of ‘89. It was in the shop’s window and I was drawn to it. I was trying out a Surf Green ‘57 they had and was considering it until someone grabbed my ‘62. I think about that ‘57 a lot!

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
That is sweet! A US Surf Green ‘57 RI Strat literally haunts my dreams. I bought my ‘88 CAR ‘62 RI Strat in the summer of ‘89. It was in the shop’s window and I was drawn to it. I was trying out a Surf Green ‘57 they had and was considering it until someone grabbed my ‘62. I think about that ‘57 a lot!

Its actually my first time trying/owning one. So color me surprised. I didnt thibk its gonna be very good - to the point that it completely bypassed all my preferred features in a guitar and enjoy it as it is, a great guitar.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Awesome Strat and a great deal!

How would you describe how thick the neck is?

Okay, without trying to measure, id say its a little thicker than your normal C american standard.

The Deep C american professional neck comes close, but is a hair thicker than that and has a more pronounced V (its actually kind of a sharper soft V, but you can feel it is a V neck), but very comfortable.

If you had a Baja tele, that neck is thick, but the 57 is a just a wee bit thinner. The thicker soft V neck on the Baja makes it a bit of a chore when playing extended periods (just me), while the 57 strat soft V, being a moderately thick neck makes it very comfortable to play.

When playing, you hardly feel the V-ness of the neck, which feels like the neck is molding perfectly with the natural shape of the hand when fretting a chord, barre or open chord work.

When soloing, it feels like the V shape has a bit more meat in the middle giving you more wood to hold onto - and the pointy point of the “V” profile becomes a nice fulcrum point where the part of the hand between the index and thumb finger (the webbing of the skin part) rests.

Am i making any sense? Hahahahaah

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
That is a seriously good lookin’ Strat.

Thank you sir!!

Ive decided its a real keeper and will go through an SS refret soon. The frets have undergone fretwork once and are a bit low now.

Im gonna replace it with vintage stainless steel frets to preserve the feel and vibe. But increase longevity and playability

kohoutec

Tele-Meister
The tinted maple on older AV/AVRI models are my favorite!

The early MIC Squier Classic Vibe models got it too!
It's funny, I just bought this a couple of weeks back. It's a MIC Classic Vibe, but the previous owner refinished the body in Surf Green (everything else is original apart from the trem plate on the back) - but what I really want for it is a V profile neck, they're just the perfect fit for me on Strats. Fender still sell the Modern Player 50s necks new, but they're pricey so I don't know I can justify it (so might have to save up for the whole guitar instead!).

strat.jpg

And OP, lovely guitar you have there :)

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
It's funny, I just bought this a couple of weeks back. It's a MIC Classic Vibe, but the previous owner refinished the body in Surf Green (everything else is original apart from the trem plate on the back) - but what I really want for it is a V profile neck, they're just the perfect fit for me on Strats. Fender still sell the Modern Player 50s necks new, but they're pricey so I don't know I can justify it (so might have to save up for the whole guitar instead!).

View attachment 991198

And OP, lovely guitar you have there :)

The MIC Classic Vibes are super good. IMO, a worthy alternative to the AVRI/AV models. The neck tints on these models are on par with the more expensive versions!

Im not sure how V the necks on these CV’s but if it’s similar, you can understand how I feel when I play mine. They say you’d have to get used to the V shape necks, and soft-V is where it’s at, but I would respectfully disagree. The Soft-V on a Baja I used to have isnt as comfy and natural as this one!

Congrats on that Squier. Soon, its gonna be coveted, if it isnt already