NGD - FCS Tele with Parsons-White B & G StringBender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by 244300, Jun 17, 2021.

1. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

A couple days ago I ran across a listing for a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster with a Parsons-White B & G StringBender. It was in great shape and priced right. I would've bought the guitar just for the Parsons-White StringBender on it's own. I've got a Nashville Tele with a Parsons-Green so it'll be a treat to try the original version.

It’s hard to say how things will go with the G bender. It’ll be an interesting exploration. It’s also got me wondering if Open G might make for a good tuning with a double bender. I briefly had a Les Paul Jr. with Open G and I liked it but I didn’t dig into it too far before selling the guitar.

I'm looking forward to her arrival next week.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

sweet

244300 likes this.
  3. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Wow, that looks great. I really want to try a guitar with a B Bender installed. I'd like a Nashville Tele myself, but just waiting for one at a reasonable price. Are they heavy with all that mechanism in them?

244300 likes this.
  4. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

My Fender Nashville Tele with the Parsons-Green clocks in at 9 lbs. The same as an old Les Paul Custom that I’ve got.

I’ve heard that when someone adds a Parsons-White the routing removes about as much weight as the StringBender adds. I’d suspect that could vary a little with depending on the weight of the body.

Traditional benders don’t have bodies with belly cuts so they are going to run a touch heavier on average.

I’ve been watching prices for used Tele benders for a while and it’s hard to spot anything for less than $2500. That said you may be able to get a new Brent Mason with the Glaser bender for a little less. The bigger issue is that supply of everything gear-wise is on the low side.

5. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

That's about the same weight as my Bass VI, so not too bad.

There is one on eBay which is described as being "in showroom condition" and "never played". It's collection only though and at 220 miles away, a bit far to try out!

I probably shouldn't buy any more guitars for the time being though, but will keep an eye out for one in case it comes up for the right price. I may not even get on with using one, but I like the idea of it.

244300 likes this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

This is one heck of a nice guitar ! Congrats !

Fretting out and 244300 like this.
  7. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

It arrived today. It doesn’t look like whomever originally bought this one ever played it. There’s still plastic on the metal latches. I hadn’t noticed it comes with Dunlop strap locks. Although I’ve standardized on Schallers, it’s still a plus to have these rather than nothing.

It came set for a whole step on the B string and a half step on the G string. The low E was tuned to D. This begs the question of how to set each string and the tuning. I’m thinking a whole step on both and maybe Open G.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

B and G! B! And! G!

244300 likes this.
  9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Looks great! :cool: I have a 1998 Nashville Tele with a factory B-Bender (it's in my avatar). How do you work the G-Bender?

244300 likes this.
  10. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

It works off the right hip with a short strap to the butt of the guitar. It’s a very short throw. Bam, it’s there. I’ve left it at a half step as that’s how I got it. I don’t know yet if a whole step is better.

11. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

The neck is a touch chunkier than I like but it’s the very small (Fender vintage?) frets that makes it tougher. I might replace the neck at some point with something I like better. But I’ll learn to love it as is for a while before getting busy with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.