NGD - EVH Wolfgang Standard

John C

Friend of Leo's
Back in July in a fit of EVH nostalgia I ordered a Wolfgang Standard maple top in a finish they called black fade; it has been on back-order status ever since. It finally shipped right before Christmas and I picked it up this week. Not much time on it yet - planning to do so today :D - but since there aren't many of these around in this color I thought I would post a few photos now.

These are the Indonesian-made models; instead of the carved top/slab back like the USA Wolfgangs and MIM Wolfgang Specials these have a flat top with a contour and a back contour kind of like a Strat. Baked maple neck/fingerboard as well. The finish is opaque black fading to trans parent gray - the lighting and my wife's floral sofa make it look a bit more green than it really is:

ORjRTpOl.jpg

ohnXyNJl.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
That's very pretty. My Wolfgang Special is one of the best guitars I have ever played or heard, I hope yours is as good!

John C

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys! This is a fun guitar, and these Indonesian-made Standards are inexpensive enough that those of us who aren't really shredders can keep one around for those occasions when you want a shred guitar.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys! This is a fun guitar, and these Indonesian-made Standards are inexpensive enough that those of us who aren't really shredders can keep one around for those occasions when you want a shred guitar.

I've been seeing some of the MII models with lovely exotic wood finishes for $500 on reverb - they have been tough to resist! But I really don't need another shredder guitar. If I found one with a tailpiece, though, I doubt I could resist.

BTW I love those PUS so much I have bought two sets to put in other guitars. One set is in my current fav, my Tele Deluxe. That guitar is a monster.

telecaster gray.jpg

EVH Wolfgang.jpg

John C

Friend of Leo's
I've been seeing some of the MII models with lovely exotic wood finishes for $500 on reverb - they have been tough to resist! But I really don't need another shredder guitar. If I found one with a tailpiece, though, I doubt I could resist.

BTW I love those PUS so much I have bought two sets to put in other guitars. One set is in my current fav, my Tele Deluxe. That guitar is a monster.

View attachment 936036

View attachment 936037

Those exotic wood ones are very nice as well!

You've got a really nice QM Special; the blackburst is a great color on them.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
I played around with one of those a few weeks back. Very nice guitar! the only thing that stops me from grabbing any of the EVH stuff is that they aren't routed for pulling way up on the floyd. Probably a good thing for my wallet!

John C

Friend of Leo's
I played around with one of those a few weeks back. Very nice guitar! the only thing that stops me from grabbing any of the EVH stuff is that they aren't routed for pulling way up on the floyd. Probably a good thing for my wallet!

I understand; most people who use Floyds want that routing so you can pull up/raise pitch. But I doubt that EVH Gear will ever change since that's the way Ed liked it. I've never been great at using any kind of tremolo so I don't mind it being decked.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve never owned one but I would like to. Eddie’s final iteration of his guitar. Strat-paul. I’m pretty accepting of headstock designs but I’ve never liked the earwig carve in the end of that headstock. Nice paint though. Looks sharp! Congrats.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
I understand; most people who use Floyds want that routing so you can pull up/raise pitch. But I doubt that EVH Gear will ever change since that's the way Ed liked it. I've never been great at using any kind of tremolo so I don't mind it being decked.

Couldn't agree more, and don't blame them for sticking with what Ed liked. He knew a thing or two!

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've always loved that design. In fact, both the Wolfgang and the Axis are among the very few modern designs that have the classic proportions of older guitars.

Congrats on the new gear!

John C

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never owned one but I would like to. Eddie’s final iteration of his guitar. Strat-paul. I’m pretty accepting of headstock designs but I’ve never liked the earwig carve in the end of that headstock. Nice paint though. Looks sharp! Congrats.

I know; it looks like a bottle opener to me. I guess they were trying to be as close to the Peavey shape as they could without crossing into Peavey's trademarked neck end shape that had been used on other Peavey models - so they just cut out that indentation that was on Peavey Wolfgangs (photo is from Reverb.com of a recent HP2):

jdri7d1fwggkqehvvlhk.jpg

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Beautiful!

They no doubt are trying to be as close to the PV headstock as possible and there's no doubt that PV tried to do the same thing with the EBMM headstock.

I have not played one of these EVH Standard guitars, but if you have played a EBMM EVH, how similar are the neck sizes, width and thickness?

Thanks and congrats!

John C

Friend of Leo's
Beautiful!

They no doubt are trying to be as close to the PV headstock as possible and there's no doubt that PV tried to do the same thing with the EBMM headstock.

I have not played one of these EVH Standard guitars, but if you have played a EBMM EVH, how similar are the neck sizes, width and thickness?

Thanks and congrats!

It has probably been since say 1992 when I last played an EBMM EVH Signature, but I have owned a Peavey Wolfgang (had it from the fall of 1999 until the fall of 2000) and an EBMM Axis SuperSport (had that one for a fairly short time - like October 2009 until March 2010). Prior to ordering the EVH Standard I had also played a few EVH Specials (the MIM model with the carved top and closer specs to the USA EVH models).

They all had/have the same nut width - 1.625" and the same basic shape. However, the EVH Wolfgang Standard has a slightly thinner depth than the current EVH Specials or how I remember the Axis SuperSport and Peavey Wolfgang that I owned in the past - and when I tried the EVH Special it felt like how I remembered the Peavey neck feeling.

I think it is best to describe the EVH Standard neck as the being the Wolfgang shape but the depth of the Striped series/5150 series models.

Hope that helps!